BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

05-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Boost and Exhaust

Hey everyone. I'm new to the M3 family but I've been in the performance scene for a very long time. I have a question. Here goes...

I have my M3 and I decide to go buy a AA exhaust w X-pipes. These exhaust are made to give you more power and torque correct. The diameter of the piping is a certain size to give you just enough back-pressure. Car runs great. I'm very happy.

Now I decide to supercharged my car. Wouldn't the piping need to be bigger now since I would need less back-pressure to make more power?

I'm asking bc in my old car, you wanted back pressure when you were all motor but once you went turbo, you wanted bigger piping. Does the same not apply to these cars? Won't they make more power w bigger piping once force induction is introduced?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
ScorpionT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, SL65

Backpressure and torque gains are a myth. Dont worry, its a pretty common mis-understanding. Because you have a positive pressure source on the intake side, you essentially want the most free flowing exhaust possible. The stock headers are sufficient (I would guess until a minimum of 600whp), but I would use high flow cats or test pipes and pair it with a good cat back.
Appreciate 0