BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

06-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Attention:m3 Owners/on Order Assist With Purchase

hey guys, can you please tell me some things to tell my client advisor when I purchase the car. Basically, I want to know what to tell the dealer to get him to bring the price down. I will pay msrp if thats all they can do but hey it would be awesome if I get discount.The car dont have to be custom ordered either.thanks for help guys

Example like gas too high or not enough sales etc.

Last edited by bmwprince4life; 06-10-2008 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

tell him you want the car and you want 1k (or whatever you want) off MSRP. be assertive and be prepared to walk away if they won't give you the deal you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

have you purchased bmws from the same dealership and/or CA before? if so, you might ask for a loyalty or repeat business discount. i dunno. personally, i doubt if my CA will come down at all. he knows i've waited it out being on a list and seeing my car get done and shipped across the pond - he knows i'm bluffing if i tell him i'll walk away if he doesn't go below MSRP. i don't really care either. the dude is already giving me ///M mats, ///M trunk mat, wheel locks, car cover, and having the car alarm installed for free. i'm fine with that as my "discount".
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog55 View Post
have you purchased bmws from the same dealership and/or CA before? if so, you might ask for a loyalty or repeat business discount. i dunno. personally, i doubt if my CA will come down at all. he knows i've waited it out being on a list and seeing my car get done and shipped across the pond - he knows i'm bluffing if i tell him i'll walk away if he doesn't go below MSRP. i don't really care either. the dude is already giving me ///M mats, ///M trunk mat, wheel locks, car cover, and having the car alarm installed for free. i'm fine with that as my "discount".
awesome man.you got one nice CA man.
Ive purchased from him before, and plan on bringing someone in with me who wants to pay off there leased car. I want to use that plus me being a returning customer and other excuses to bring it down. Again I am fine paying MSRP, but why not try to get it below you know.
      06-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #5
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
tell him you want the car and you want 1k (or whatever you want) off MSRP. be assertive and be prepared to walk away if they won't give you the deal you are looking for.
kind of hard to do because I am basically telling him exactly what I want and he has to order it.I may try this but I am afraid he will sell it
      06-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
markdds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I shopped around before placing my order. I was able to get a discount off MSRP, not much, but a discount nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwprince4life View Post
... and plan on bringing someone in with me who wants to pay off there leased car.
I don't understand. Is the guy paying off a lease from another manufacturer and trading it for a BMW? If the guy already has a BMW and is just paying it off, the salesman doesn't care. They would actually prefer that a car gets turned in at the end of the lease, so they can get a crack at selling it CPO to someone who thinks that limited waranty is worth and extra $3G. You might want to try looking out of state, if that's an option for you. We're getting some pretty good deals on the east coast, but I'm sure you don't have to go that far to save.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Don't buy out of state, especially in CA if you can avoid it. I bought mine out of state and it was a hassle, I had to smog a brand new car and then get the car verified. It was a waste of time and you pay for transport as well.

If your dealer doesn't negotiate, I know you are here in Socal so just run over to Long Beach BMW and they are offering $1500 off all coupes including the M3. That's right off the bat, you might have some room to negotiate. This economy is bad right now, these cars are not flying off the lots with gas prices the way they are either. That sales guy Will at Long Beach BMW said sales are down roughly 20% across the board so they had to do this. It's a good time to buy... So just tell your guy that you can buy it for less and specify Long Beach BMW for a minimum $1500 discount... That will get his attention... The one thing you got going against you is the DCT but I don't see why that should command a premium either...
      06-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

bmwprince4life it seems you keep getting bumped? maybe try a new dealer? new CA?
      06-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

just tell them Asseal and Long beach give 1000 off.
      06-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
eluder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m

Tell them others have gotten 1k over invoice, and you know they aren't selling. Your attitude and presentation will also play a role. It takes some work to get the good deals.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Yep, state your offer and walk if they don't do it. Tell them you don't have the time to bicker. Either they do it or not!

Here is what I did with SEVERAL cars I bought....

Know EXACTLY what you want...colors, options, etc.
Print out invoice prices for said vehicle (edmunds, etc.)
Have financing/cash, etc. READY to go
Print out all BMW (whatever) dealers within whatever distance you are willing to travel (for me it was 250 miles).
Call each dealer and ask to speak with Fleet Manager
Intro yourself, tell him/her that you are in the market for a XXX and know exactly what you want, you have $$ ready and are calling around to XXX dealers and the best price over invoice gets your business TODAY. Tell him you dont have time to come in and bicker or call back and negotiate. Best deal out of all the dealers gets your business TODAY.
He will ask what you want. Tell him exactly what you want. He will look at inbound and on hand inventory and try to match it, which he wont (most likely--but could).
He will give you a number (eg: I can do it for $1,500 over invoice).
Thank him for his time and remind him that you have a few more to call, but will call within the hour or so after you are done if he has the best deal.
After you call around and get prices (you will be amazed at the price differences), call back the winner and tell him that you are ready to put down a deposit. Done.

The last time I did this (in 2004), I had two guys fighting for my business. I ended up getting exactly what I wanted (happened to be inbound on a boat) and they added a DVD with dual headrest monitors and did not charge me for the "rear wing", which I did not want. After all was said and done (with DVD, etc.), I paid UNDER invoice for the vehicle. lol

I doubt you will get that sort of a deal on a new model, but from what I hear, some dealers have a large stock of them (Irvine, CA), so you never know. Some fleets may ask if you would be willing to get a XXX color one instead, etc. If it is no biggie, you may get a better deal as they would rather sell a car already on the lot that a production allocation, but its your call.

Good luck.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0