BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Storage??

Hey guys was wondering if any of you guys been trough this... Or does anybody have some advice. I'm about to deploy for 7 months and my only plans were to get a car cover and like a tent for it. It will be parked in Arizona at my mothers house. No garage. It will be started at least once a month. Should I take any other preventative measures?
Thanks
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

First of all thank you for your service, dedication and sacrifice defending our country and way of life. Outdoors even with cover can be a problem due to moisture but maybe AZ is dry enough, indoors is better if at all possible. Starting the car only without driving about 30 minutes will not keep battery charged and does more harm than good. Need to hook up trickle charger and it can sit untill driven. Tires can be couple pounds over normal and an oil change prior to storage is not bad idea. Not sure about potential wildlife problems in AZ but steel wool in openings discourages mice. Clean everything inside and out throughly. Check internet there are articles about long term storage you can decide how far to go for 7-months. Be safe.
      06-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 JRZ BLK 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Poor
First of all thank you for your service, dedication and sacrifice defending our country and way of life. Outdoors even with cover can be a problem due to moisture but maybe AZ is dry enough, indoors is better if at all possible. Starting the car only without driving about 30 minutes will not keep battery charged and does more harm than good. Need to hook up trickle charger and it can sit untill driven. Tires can be couple pounds over normal and an oil change prior to storage is not bad idea. Not sure about potential wildlife problems in AZ but steel wool in openings discourages mice. Clean everything inside and out throughly. Check internet there are articles about long term storage you can decide how far to go for 7-months. Be safe.
+1. The trickle chargers are boss and do great. I use mine up north and it's been great. I have bmw's installed in the trunk and had no issues. Indoors is always better if you can find a spot.

I'm canadian and also thank you for your service. Brave thing you men and women do.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
WinterSoldier
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIFUM3 View Post
Hey guys was wondering if any of you guys been trough this... Or does anybody have some advice. I'm about to deploy for 7 months and my only plans were to get a car cover and like a tent for it. It will be parked in Arizona at my mothers house. No garage. It will be started at least once a month. Should I take any other preventative measures?
Thanks
Thank you for protecting the things we all too often take for granted. Your service is greatly "appreciated", can't think of a better word to express gratitude. Seems weak, your service is critical to all of our collective well-being.

My recommendation is to add a box or two of baking soda like what you put in the freezer. Arm&Hammer have tear off tops that don't leak the product, just keep it open and stale air is absorbed. If you have a loved one that can change it out every 30-45 days or so, the car will keep it's current aroma...assuming it doesn't already stink, but that will improve too if it does. :-)

Very best to you, be safe, be strong and thank you for keeping us safe!!

Forza Michael!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Awesome guys really appreciate the tips!! Never thought about the baking soda inside! For sure gonna do that! Ordering a trickle next week when I drive home.

And thanks for caring guys! You guys would be surprised at how many "anti military" people I have met in my time. (9 years 2 months)
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Make sure to wash your car before you cover it.

Any debris on your car will act like sandpaper if the cover is blowing around, marring your paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
Pierrot
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 16, X5 30d 13, Evo9 06

Hey - all the best for your next deployment - much respect for putting your life on the line in service to your country.
Your question made me curious as I sometimes travel for long periods for work (lot less brave - am in the shipping industry). Googled following tips that could be of interest and have not been mentioned above:

- Fill up your car with gasoline as it leaves less airspace for moist air to enter the engine and form condensation

- Remove wiper blades or lift them up so they do not become deformed or flat.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

I recommend STABIL to keep the fuel in good shape in the car. I've used in in my 911 with no issues

Mike
------------------
2013 Frozen Blue M3, Akropovic Exhaust
2011 Mini Clubman S
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I've become a big fan of these, highly recommend. Would work like a charm in AZ for obvious reasons.

http://batterytender.com/products/solar.html

Inflate the tires over standard PSI and have someone make sure they don't get too low.

Rather than just starting it, if you know someone trustworthy have them take it for a 15-20 mile drive every month. Get everything up to temp, work out any flat spots in the tires. Those can form pretty quick actually. Definitely over the course of 7 months.

Stay safe

Appreciate 0