BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

05-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Perth - Track Day - Saturday, 15 June 2013 at Barbagello Raceway

The BMW Club WA has once again organised a track day (driver training day) at Barbagallo Raceway for members to learn some car handling techniques and enjoy driving their BMWs in a controlled track environment.

Once again the members will be sharing the day the WRX Owners Club of WA, which always makes for a more interesting day. The scheduled day for the event is Saturday 15th June.

The day will cost Club members $200 entry fee + CAMS License costs ($25-30 for those who do not already have an appropriate licensee). The fee includes full tuition by experienced instructors and as many solo track laps as you and your car can handle.

Lunch is also included, courtesy of the Club.

All cars that go on the track have to pass scrutineering, including having a properly mounted fire extinguisher in the car. Drivers have to wear long-sleeved clothing and a proper crash helmet. More details will be provided once you’ve enrolled.

The Club will be entitled to 15 places in the school, and places are fast running out. Get in fast to have a great BMW day.
      05-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Just out of curiosity how does one adequately secure an extinguisher in their car with screwing into the floor etc?

Can you just cable tie one to the seat mounts, and remove after the track day?

Is this a requirement for the majority of tracks in Australia??
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Just out of curiosity how does one adequately secure an extinguisher in their car with screwing into the floor etc?

Can you just cable tie one to the seat mounts, and remove after the track day?

Is this a requirement for the majority of tracks in Australia??
I think so. Dave from the Gold Coast can chip in on this requirement and he often tracks his car and organisers track events. He's very informative.

I have some pics I took when I installed the fire extinguisher. I will repost or find that particular post. I got the OEM bracket and will send you the part #. Cheers.
      05-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I think so. Dave from the Gold Coast can chip in on this requirement and he often tracks his car and organisers track events. He's very informative.

I have some pics I took when I installed the fire extinguisher. I will repost or find that particular post. I got the OEM bracket and will send you the part #. Cheers.
Cheers thanks mate, eventually I would love to do a few track days in nsw, and wasn't sure if this is a general 'prerequisite' for most tracks or a WA specific requirement.

Good luck with your track day I would love to attend if I lived closer!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post

Thanks aussiem3! Requirements with Queensland Raceway for their insurance are:
Long sleeves
Long pants
covered footwear
Approved Helmet

If wearing a full harness a HANS is now being recommended, won't be long before its mandatory after a recent death at a track here.

No mention of a fire extinguisher, in fact at QR you are asked to unload the contents of your car and boot to avoid things becoming a missile. Even externally mounted GoPros etc are required to have an auxiliary mounting as they have come off on the track and hit the car behind in the past. They may spring this on you at any track now.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Kosta1968
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW F87 M2  [10.00]
I know this is an old post but I thought I would add that VAC sell a bracket that fits under the seat bolts which will then hold the extinguisher. I bought it and currently have a 2kg unit attached to it. Very easy to fit.

2019 F87 M2 Competition
2021 G80 M3 Competition (sold)
2010 E90 M3 Competition (sold)
1995 E36 M3 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CON G View Post
I know this is an old post but I thought I would add that VAC sell a bracket that fits under the seat bolts which will then hold the extinguisher. I bought it and currently have a 2kg unit attached to it. Very easy to fit.
This bracket under the seat is a genuine one. Bought it and fitted in 2008. Haven't got the part#
Attached Images

11-16-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
///Msports180
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 C63

Thats pretty neat, one thing i was worried about was mounting one without drilling anything etc.
      11-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msports180 View Post
Thats pretty neat, one thing i was worried about was mounting one without drilling anything etc.
No drilling. There are pre drilled holes and you just need to lift the seat and install. The red extinguisher brackets can be taken off by undoing the two screws. I'll try and get the part number which should be on one of the invoices.