BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #23
abstruse1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 6-spd., sport pkg.

I'm amazed that BMW calls for 10W-60 oil. I've never heard of an oil with that much spread being recommended by a manufacturer. Maybe they do so for mileage purposes.

It's my understanding that the additives and/or processes that oil has to go thru to give it that extreme spread diminishes the longevity -- and perhaps other qualities -- of the oil.

I note that in my owner's manual, BMW gives other weights of oils (10W-40, 10W-50 or 5W-50) that don't have that extreme spread that are approved for mixing with the 10W-60 if that oil's not available.

I see that Red Line, Greddy, Lubro, and Lucas also make 10W-60 oil.

I'd defer to BMW's recommendations since they know the clearances and other engine specs, but I'd also realize that their recommendations may be affected by a concern for fuel consumption.

Experience? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0