BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

01-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

google "how to make a bomb",and "map of new york landmarks" etc several times every day for weeks. I hear you get a position deep undercover for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Join the Marines, do some skill MOS until you reach Cpl, take the DLAB and ace it, make sure your ASVAB scores are really high, lat move into Counter-Intelligence, get sent to DLI for Farsi, Korean, Chinese, Arabic, or any other hot language, finish off an enlistment or two, and then apply.

Or you could take the easier route and learn one of those languages and then try to weasel your way in. What exact sort of position are you looking for? The CIA technically employs people in all kinds of capacities, from clandestine agents to engineers.

https://www.cia.gov/careers/index.html

Also, having smoked pot in the past was not a problem for me when I was looking into it. However, I'm not sure if my specific military background and existing TS/SCI had something to do with that.... As far as I know, the automatic DQ is if you've used drugs in the 12 months prior to your submission, and any use prior to that is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If your portfolio is good enough, they won't give a half a shit that you smoked bud in the distant past.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: By echolocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Also, having smoked pot in the past was not a problem for me when I was looking into it. However, I'm not sure if my specific military background and existing TS/SCI had something to do with that.... As far as I know, the automatic DQ is if you've used drugs in the 12 months prior to your submission, and any use prior to that is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If your portfolio is good enough, they won't give a half a shit that you smoked bud in the distant past.
This definitely makes a lot more practical sense. I was relaying what an FBI agent who spoke a class a few years ago told me in the context of both agencies following similar procedures.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #26
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
from what i understand, many civilians are recruited by the CIA as early as high school. i would think the CIA will contact you if they're interested in something you may have to offer, IE education specialty, college grades, multiple languages, etc. outside of that, you might want to hurry up, join the military, and specialize in intelligence while you're there cause i doubt you can just walk into langley with a resume.
I highly doubt that. If you are going in as a civilian without military experience, the prime age for hire is about 25 -28 ish. You will see them (CIA/FBI, etc.) at college job fairs, but they rarely hire anyone straight from college - unless you are EXTREMELY accomplished as a college student. What they want to see is real world experience and leadership. Even if you get to go on an interview, without job experience, there is no way you can answer the series of situational questions well.

As far as drugs, you can't have anything to do with drugs within the last 10 years - doing drugs or have any connection with people doing drugs. If you EVER sold drugs, you can forget about it.

The lie detector test is just as hard as the interviews - if not harder. If you have anything to hide, forget about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
I highly doubt that. If you are going in as a civilian without military experience, the prime age for hire is about 25 -28 ish. You will see them (CIA/FBI, etc.) at college job fairs, but they rarely hire anyone straight from college - unless you are EXTREMELY accomplished as a college student. What they want to see is real world experience and leadership. Even if you get to go on an interview, without job experience, there is no way you can answer the series of situational questions well.

As far as drugs, you can't have anything to do with drugs within the last 10 years - doing drugs or have any connection with people doing drugs. If you EVER sold drugs, you can forget about it.

The lie detector test is just as hard as the interviews - if not harder. If you have anything to hide, forget about it.

are you cia?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #28
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Join the Marines, do some skill MOS until you reach Cpl, take the DLAB and ace it, make sure your ASVAB scores are really high, lat move into Counter-Intelligence, get sent to DLI for Farsi, Korean, Chinese, Arabic, or any other hot language, finish off an enlistment or two, and then apply.

Or you could take the easier route and learn one of those languages and then try to weasel your way in. What exact sort of position are you looking for? The CIA technically employs people in all kinds of capacities, from clandestine agents to engineers.

https://www.cia.gov/careers/index.html

I know an FBI agent who has military experience and got into the FBI a few years ago, said he had done something (wouldn't tell me what) that would DQ him while in the military. But because it happened while he was serving, they couldn't DQ him for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #29
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
are you cia?
I wish. I'm still in the process of applying for the FBI. The two agencies have similar hiring process. Failed phase 2 by a hair, waiting for my second try.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Also, if you have military experience, you probably get a better chance with the CIA than with FBI. CIA agents do travel a lot more than FBI agents. A lot of them actually are stationed overseas. That's why I didn't apply for the CIA. Don't want to be away from home.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #31
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
I wish. I'm still in the process of applying for the FBI. The two agencies have similar hiring process. Failed phase 2 by a hair, waiting for my second try.
i was about to say. if you were, i need to avoid you infidel lol
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
ttam
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet movie theater

Quote:
Will you try again after failing?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam View Post
Will you try again after failing?
If they call me back for second, which may or may not happen depending on the number of slot open for phase 2 this year; of course. Can't turn down an opportunity like this. The agent I know got in on the second try. So I'm not giving up just yet.

The group I was with sent from the New Haven field office, six in total, only 3 got a passing grade. None of them had any military experience. One engineer from Sikorsky, one auditor from PWC and one guy I forgot what he does.

Just to give an idea what the process is like without saying too much.... Phase 1 had about 100 people from the New Haven Office, then comes pre-interview to determine who goes to phase 2. Only about two dozen got to Phase 2 (I'm one of them =)). And about half got passed Phase 2. Lie detector comes next, that's another 50% failure rate. Then background check. etc.

Last edited by jpsum; 01-16-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

So much false information in here.

Easiest way: get a defense contractor to sponsor your TS/SCI w/ Full Scope Polygraph then try jumping to a CIA/NSA contract, then apply directly

Last edited by Pcemkr; 01-16-2012 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #35
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: ESS E90 M3

craigslist.org/jobs?
      01-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #36
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcemkr View Post
Easiest way: get a defense contractor to sponsor your TS/SCI w/ Full Polygraph
Yeah from what I've been told, that's a big step to already have your TS/SCI. I guess I always just took that step for granted. I should also re-emphasize that I can only speak from the perspective of someone coming from my avenue of approach; I'm not too up-to-par on what approach a career civilian would take, but I've definitely heard what you posted is a great way to get things started.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #37
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carogers86 View Post
Not trying to join. Just curious. Never saw a specific major for it or job posting.
A specific major? Like as in a university major? What did you expect the major to state - "How to become a Mr. CIA man"?

Why would there be interest - government doesn't seem to pay very well, and I bet the work is mainly boring at the CIA.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #38
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep

Gov't contractor > federal employee
Gov't benefits are primo though, and most gov't employees don't have to do shit
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #39
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Gov't contractor > federal employee
Gov't benefits are primo though, and most gov't employees don't have to do shit
1) in terms of pay/salary yes. Not in terms of job security. Typically contractors have little to no decision making or authority ability unless you are the program manager.

2) what? Thats not always the case. The last placed I worked you'd be amazed how busy and involved Govt employees were on a daily basis.

The best answer is that it all depends on where you are, whom you work for, the Govt Agency, the contract, etc. There are bad contractors just as there are bad Govt employees, same for good ones.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 01-18-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #40
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep

Sorry, my response was pretty vague. Yes, I was replying to the guy above in terms of pay.
Just speaking from my experience, every federal employee I know just sits on their ass all day with nothing to do
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #41
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
So much false information in here.

Easiest way: get a defense contractor to sponsor your TS/SCI w/ Full Scope Polygraph then try jumping to a CIA/NSA contract, then apply directly
This is easy?
      01-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #42
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
This is easy?
absolutely not

Most defense contractors aren't willing to even spend money on a simple secret clearance much less top secret with polygraphs and so forth. A simple secret clearance cost them upwards of 10K or so; so they will not be getting you one unless they see that you need one or are part of the personnel that will be using it. I might have had a little bit of experience with this.
      01-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #43
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
This is easy?
If anything good was easy, it wouldn't be good. You need to work for it either way. A clearance/intelligence position won't come easy no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #44
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Sorry, my response was pretty vague. Yes, I was replying to the guy above in terms of pay.
Just speaking from my experience, every federal employee I know just sits on their ass all day with nothing to do
lol

no worries. I've seen it too, on both sides of the fence
Appreciate 0