BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

01-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Just took my baby in for her 1st service

Quick question about proving my oils were changed (DCT e92)
So literally just dropped it off and the guy I got seemed pretty shitty. Every other person asked if I needed help and complimented the car ( even spoke to one who said they offer powder coating for $160 per wheel) but the one i got seemed to hate his job. Even gave me aviv scare saying I ha a giant scratch on the front but turned out to be emeral from my tires.
Anyways I was stuck with him and asked the questions: you'll change my engine oil? Yes
Engine filters? Yes
Differential oil? Yes
He then said its all part of the 1200 service yet I want to know how I can prove that the differential oil and filter was changed? Got a vibe that this guy would say anything to just move the process along.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Check your paperwork when you pickup the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Check your paperwork when you pickup the car.
What he ^^^ said ... also if not done before follow and read this ===> LINK and Links posted within the first post

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

So I really needed the car and I'm pretty sure I didn't get the differential oil even though i asked 3 times before I left the car. Should I call and ask??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I recommend you print out the entire PDF file and keep it on hand in a maintenance file for future maintenance and reference on your car. While your manuals may state the same this PDF file for me is more up to date. Also you can highlight areas of interest in yellow for discussions if need be with your BMW Service Representative.

on Page 7 of the PDF File (after you type in your model year, and model) it will download the PDF file .... ===> CLICK to open PDF File

On Page 7 it reads (print the PDF file or what I copied below and talk to or go see your dealer).

1200 Mile Service

The engine in your BMW 1 Series M Coupe or M3 is a race-bred engine design which includes increased power output and maximum engine speeds compared to a conventional BMW 1 or 3 Series engine. The increased power output also affects other major drivetrain components, such as the transmission (M3 only) and the rear axle differential. The 1200 Mile Service requires changing the oil in the engine and the differential.

M3 vehicles with the standard transmission also require the transmission fluid to be changed (transmission fluid does not need to be changed for an M3 with the optional M-DCT Drivelogic transmission).

NOTE: M3 with the optional M-DCT Drivelogic transmission does not require changing the transmission fluid. The fluid has a long-term rating and does not need to be changed except for system repairs.

For a detailed list of items inspected, refer to the Quality Certification I form provided to the Owner at time of delivery. A copy of the form is on file at the selling BMW center.

This is what I will put in front of my dealership service department;

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

go back and demand they change it or prove it was changed. if they didn't put it on the reciept, it didn't happen.
      01-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I recommend you print out the entire PDF file and keep it on hand in a maintenance file for future maintenance and reference on your car. While your manuals may state the same this PDF file for me is more up to date. Also you can highlight areas of interest in yellow for discussions if need be with your BMW Service Representative.

on Page 7 of the PDF File (after you type in your model year, and model) it will download the PDF file .... ===> CLICK to open PDF File

On Page 7 it reads (print the PDF file or what I copied below and talk to or go see your dealer).

1200 Mile Service

The engine in your BMW 1 Series M Coupe or M3 is a race-bred engine design which includes increased power output and maximum engine speeds compared to a conventional BMW 1 or 3 Series engine. The increased power output also affects other major drivetrain components, such as the transmission (M3 only) and the rear axle differential. The 1200 Mile Service requires changing the oil in the engine and the differential.

M3 vehicles with the standard transmission also require the transmission fluid to be changed (transmission fluid does not need to be changed for an M3 with the optional M-DCT Drivelogic transmission).

NOTE: M3 with the optional M-DCT Drivelogic transmission does not require changing the transmission fluid. The fluid has a long-term rating and does not need to be changed except for system repairs.

For a detailed list of items inspected, refer to the Quality Certification I form provided to the Owner at time of delivery. A copy of the form is on file at the selling BMW center.

This is what I will put in front of my dealership service department;
Good post Rolf.

OP, if you get a bad feeling, ask for another technician next time.
      01-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
So I really needed the car and I'm pretty sure I didn't get the differential oil even though i asked 3 times before I left the car. Should I call and ask??
According to the printout, you didn't get a full 1200 mile service. You are missing the part number for the differential oil (DCT doesn't get an oil change). They MUST show part numbers on invoice to get reimbursement from BMW for warranty work. I'd return to the dealer and ask to speak with the service manager, not the advisor.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Looks like they didn't do the diff oil service and they didn't give you back what was remaining from the 9th quart of motor oil. My dealer gave me my remainder 3/4 quart and it's in my trunk in case I need to top off.
      01-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
I had mine in today for the 1200 miles service as well, and they did the engine oil change, engine oil filter change, as well as diff oil change and scope. The diff oil is on the receipt with part number. No haggling, no fuss no muss.

PS: they didn't give me the leftover oil, but I was not expecting it.

Last edited by sycd; 01-09-2012 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #11
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you think the guy was pissy the first time wait till you go back and tell him the service was done incorrectly. Word of advice go straight to service manager, skip every one else.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
I had mine in today for the 1200 miles service as well, and they did the engine oil change, engine oil filter change, as well as diff oil change and scope. The diff oil is on the receipt with part number. No haggling, no fuss no muss.

PS: they didn't give me the leftover oil, but I was not expecting it.
I take it your transmission is a M-DCT since they did not change the transmission oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhird View Post
If you think the guy was pissy the first time wait till you go back and tell him the service was done incorrectly. Word of advice go straight to service manager, skip every one else.
I printed out the PDF file it's some 50 pages. I will read it all and highlight areas of importance to make sure my car will be serviced correctly now and in future. Service manuals are in general too generic. Having that file handy will kill any kind of argument.

I guess the saying "One needs to be able to help oneself" comes in handy here In German ===> "man muss wissen, wie man sich selbst helfen kann"

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 01-10-2012 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: added reply to "rhird"
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I take it your transmission is a M-DCT since they did not change the transmission oil?
Yes it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Yes it is.
Oh good then all is a okay then ...

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

BTW: this is park ave in Hackensack, NJ, so if you can comment....

So called in today to speak to my service advisor and he assured me the differential was changed. He said he saw them drain it and says its already known to be changed as part of the 1200 service. He went on to say that they have small tanks at the service center with the oil and that's why there wasn't a part number. He said they buy it in bulk since its expensive oil $120 i think per liter and said I don't have to worry about it.*

I'm thinking about calling another service center and seeing if they label the diff oil # on receipts.* He did sound very convincing and reassuring though
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
BTW: this is park ave in Hackensack, NJ, so if you can comment....

So called in today to speak to my service advisor and he assured me the differential was changed. He said he saw them drain it and says its already known to be changed as part of the 1200 service. He went on to say that they have small tanks at the service center with the oil and that's why there wasn't a part number. He said they buy it in bulk since its expensive oil $120 i think per liter and said I don't have to worry about it.*

I'm thinking about calling another service center and seeing if they label the diff oil # on receipts.* He did sound very convincing and reassuring though
Like I said in previous message above, if it's not on the invoice (receipt) they didn't do it. They don't get paid from BMW unless it's listed on the invoice.

My dealer also buys in bulk and they manage to put both quantity and part number on the invoice. This also explains why I don't get remaining oil from the bottle.

I think you need to talk with the service MANAGER.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

uggh looks like ima have to call another dealership and get this done
Appreciate 0