BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

DCT Paddle Feel

Am i the only DCT owner who hates the paddle feel of the M3? I find it very stiff and curt without any tactile feel when you pull it unlike the F10 M5's paddles. My SA has told me that the full paddle assembly between the 2 cars are not compatible. That leaves me with the only option of opening up the paddle assembly and transplanting the inner mechanism over if they are compatible. Has anyone undertaken anything similar?

p/s: pls don't tell me to just row my own gear
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Yes, you're the only one. JK, but I do love the feel. That being said, check out this thread, it may be of use to you.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637836
      02-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Yes, you're the only one. JK, but I do love the feel. That being said, check out this thread, it may be of use to you.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637836
Thanks. I saw that thread, but they are merely replacing the paddles while re-using the inner mechanism. The inner mechanism is what determines the feel of the paddles. I don't really have issues with how the paddles look. They look just fine to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

I've got no issue with them. Response is good and I like that they don't shift like butter as I usually have my left hand resting on the paddle. If they did, I'm sure I'd be accidentally downshifting all the time.
      02-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
nickdrivesm3
Motorsport Product Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs...duh

lol
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

i like the "stiff" feeling of it. Most of the cars with paddles are not as stiff as the m3 but i dont like them.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
i like the "stiff" feeling of it. Most of the cars with paddles are not as stiff as the m3 but i dont like them.
Yeah, I like the firm click that they emit. Much nicer and more satisfying than the mushy paddles of some other cars.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

I prefer 6mt. Always feels nice

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Am i the only DCT owner who hates the paddle feel of the M3? I find it very stiff and curt without any tactile feel when you pull it unlike the F10 M5's paddles. My SA has told me that the full paddle assembly between the 2 cars are not compatible. That leaves me with the only option of opening up the paddle assembly and transplanting the inner mechanism over if they are compatible. Has anyone undertaken anything similar?

I don't think many of us have or have yet to drive the new M5 to be able to compare. Thanks for rubbing it in though!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

I'm in the opposite book. I like how they feel but not a fan of how they look.

Though, like ^^ said, haven't tried the F10 so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Yeah, I like the firm click that they emit. Much nicer and more satisfying than the mushy paddles of some other cars.
+1

I think they have a much nicer feel than most other cars including the ones on the E46. In the E46 I find I like using the shifter over the paddles, which is opposite of the E92 where I enjoy both and just depends on the driving I'm doing.

A lot of other cars including the regular BMWs have some that just flop all over the place and no "feel" to them

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
ksflatlander
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I like 'em as is. Both by feel and visually. No complaints here.

But to each his own and it doesn't help the OP that others like them. Surely there is some sort of spring or spring steel inside there that could be modified. If a spring, all you'd have to do is trim some length off and that would make it softer. If it's a piece of spring steel that might be tougher unless you could figure a way to adjust the fulcrum. Have you tried opening it up and seeing what you're up against? Maybe take some pics and post them and we could throw out some ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksflatlander View Post

But to each his own and it doesn't help the OP that others like them. Surely there is some sort of spring or spring steel inside there that could be modified. If a spring, all you'd have to do is trim some length off and that would make it softer. If it's a piece of spring steel that might be tougher unless you could figure a way to adjust the fulcrum. Have you tried opening it up and seeing what you're up against? Maybe take some pics and post them and we could throw out some ideas?
Can't do that now. Gotta wait till M6 arrives on our shores sometime around Jun/Jul so that i could order its steering wheel to replace that truck wheel on my M5. With that, i can take apart the paddle assembly of the M5 to study the feasibility of a transplant.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy Gic View Post

Though, like ^^ said, haven't tried the F10 so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.
I don't think u guys are gonna prefer the F10 M5's paddle feel over the M3's since u guys like what u have now. For me, i din like the M3's paddle feel since day 1. It's prob down to individual preference. Increasing waistline and receding hairline might have something to do with my preference
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Quote:

Perhaps take a gander at these ------> http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652454 as they might be of interest. I ordered the dark gunmetal which will soon join my collection of stuff that is just sitting there doing nothing. Until my car gets here.... Not that it is taking forever, it is, but I'm not gonna whine about it. Even though I'm starting to get a little antsy. Well ok a lot of antsy. But don't worry, I'm not going to start crying over it or anything. er maybe a few tears....
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The click that the paddles make is caused by a ball bearing, I didn't think there were any springs.

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
ksflatlander
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
The click that the paddles make is caused by a ball bearing, I didn't think there were any springs.
Does that mean you've had it "opened up"? I guess if you did and had any advice for a mod to soften it, you would have offered it up. Oh well.

Glad I like it stock...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post

I suggest you get some of this:

Should fix the problem in a few hours. lol
      02-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Perhaps take a gander at these ------> http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652454 as they might be of interest. I ordered the dark gunmetal which will soon join my collection of stuff that is just sitting there doing nothing. Until my car gets here.... Not that it is taking forever, it is, but I'm not gonna whine about it. Even though I'm starting to get a little antsy. Well ok a lot of antsy. But don't worry, I'm not going to start crying over it or anything. er maybe a few tears....
Saw these though thought the price was a bit steep. Am still definitely considering them. Since you have a set, what are your thoughts on the cut-out gap? Looks a little big / gaping in the pics.

Quote:
Does that mean you've had it "opened up"?
If you refer to the thread linked above, you'll see the install instructions on a non-oem set of paddles. You can clearly see the inner workings of the paddles.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
crabman
Captain
Rep

In the same link I posted above http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652454 there are DIY installation photos that show the inner mechanism of the DCT paddles including the ball bearing that ShnellM3 mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #21
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Does that mean you've had it "opened up"? I guess if you did and had any advice for a mod to soften it, you would have offered it up. Oh well.

Glad I like it stock...
No, just from seeing diagrams that were posted. I like the way the feel stock as well, feels authoritative and substantial. Especially when your gripping the wheel, it just all flows really well IMO

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
crabman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Saw these though thought the price was a bit steep. Am still definitely considering them. Since you have a set, what are your thoughts on the cut-out gap? Looks a little big / gaping in the pics.

My car is crossing the pond and arrives in San Diego on the 7th. I am on the Bering Sea and wont be seeing these in person till I finish the season and head home which should be around the 3rd week of March. I only touch the outer back edge of the paddles as I shift as my hands are too big to get behind them. Cant say if someone who was used to tapping them from behind would find it an issue or not. Sorry.
Appreciate 0