BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

Mporium BMW

04-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
gjpinoy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 E92

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [9.60]
Modules vs Coding

Here promoting the fact that coding is a lot better than installing some 3rd party module into your car, where you have to go to some shop and leave your car there for x amount of hours or days to have it installed. In the mean time never knowing exactly how they install it and if they are not messing anything up on the inside of your car. Coding is a non invasive way to do most if not all types of things to your car without taking your car apart to put in a new module.

Some things I've personally coded to my car without taking it to a shop. I'll try to get more video's to shop other stuff.

Folding mirrors and open/close windows with key remote.

Digital Velocity
Instantaneous MPG
Dynamic Efficiency Gear Shift Indicator

Last edited by gjpinoy; 01-28-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

where in nj are you if you dont mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjpinoy View Post
I'm here only promoting the fact that coding is a lot better than installing some 3rd party module into your car, where you have to go to some shop and leave your car there for x amount of hours or days to have it installed. In the mean time never knowing exactly how they install it and if they are not messing anything up on the inside of your car. Coding is a non invasive way to do most if not all types of things to your car without taking your car apart to put in a new module.

Some things I've already done to my own car without taking it to a shop. I'll try to get more video's to shop other stuff.

Folding mirrors and open/close windows with key remote.

Digital Velocity
Instantaneous MPG
Dynamic Efficiency Gear Shift Indicator
That sounds like coding vs your installer, rather than modules.

Programming (which is more suitable for profile changes) is best for profile changes. Coding/Retrofits are a bit more involved and usually require modifying the vehicle order (VO). Coding will require an understanding of the tools involved and your vehicle's module system, modules require an understanding of +12V electronics.

Modules will always have the upper hand with macro and/or timed commands since it's something that coding simply isn't capable of, for example:

- Alarm emulation (siren chirps/blinking mirror LED)
- one-touch operation of windows/sunroof (coding requires pressing the button through the entire cycle, while in range)
- raising/lowering convertible roof while vehicle is in motion
- ability to change options without the use of a computer/programming cable

The list goes on.

In the end, one method is not any more superior than the other - it's pointless to compare the two. The best solution for each case will depend on its specific purpose.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
gjpinoy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [9.60]
Its not coding vs an installer. Doesn't matter if you have the best installer in the world and for argument sake can be in a BMW factory and install it like it was suppose to be in the car when it was first built. still got to take the time to wait for it to get done. which would be hours vs a couple minute's if not less.

Coding can accomplish retrofits and change vehicle order (VO)

Pros vs Cons. My opinion will always be coding. Something major is time and money. Cheaper and faster to get it done for coding. Sure you might get something a little bit extra by installing a module but not enough to make me sway my decision.

Example: Sure with the one touch remote for window open/close you have to hold the remote button down through the entire cycle vs with a module you may not have too. But the cost of the module would be more, the time for install would be longer and they would have to open up your can interior and wire it. Personal I don't want any of the internals touched as much as possible and I'm sure many would feel the same if given the choice.

But its all opinionated. Everyone will have there own opinion on this topic. I'm just going to show what coding can accomplish in this post and I'll let the individual decide.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
gjpinoy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [9.60]
Coded additional stuff
Turned off the seatbelt chime for the driver side and passenger side
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
gjpinoy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [9.60]
Coded DVD in motion. Now I can watch a dvd while I'm driving ot keep my passenger intertained. I know I shouldnt be watching a dvd while driving, but the fact that I can is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjpinoy View Post
Coded DVD in motion. Now I can watch a dvd while I'm driving ot keep my passenger intertained. I know I shouldnt be watching a dvd while driving, but the fact that I can is awesome.
I play a video of a school of fish in an aquarium. jk but wouldn't that be cool

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]