BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

03-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwickm3 View Post
Hey guys, I just picked up a used (new to me) '11 M3, absolutely loving it so far. The only thing that's bothering me is that the previous owner did not install a clear bra on the car and despite having only 3600 miles there are some chips and marring from debris. Most of this is on the front bumper, side skirts behind the front wheels and the rear bumper behind the rear wheels.

I really want to get this repaired and then get the clear bra installed. I just wanted to ask what are my options? Will I have to fully repaint the front bumper, rockers, and rear bumper? Or can those areas typically be repaired without a full repaint? Also, after I get these areas repaired, I will obviously cover the bumper in clear film. But are behind the front wheels and behind the rear wheels (inner fender portions) areas that you guys usually cover? I wasn't sure if it was feasible or not given the body ones of the car.
Clear Bra the way it is. Don't repaint. Remember, you can't just paint a bumper. The surrounding panels would have to be blended to do the job correctly. Also, a lot of clear bra installers won't warranty against paint coming off upon removal with after-market paint.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #24
berwickm3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 11.5 M3

I appreciate the advice guys. I spoke to my salesman over weekend (who also owns an M3) and he stated that the chips behind the wheels are pretty much unavoidable and the only real option is to get the areas painted every few years, which would be a losing battle obviously. Is this true? If so, I might just pick up a pre-painted Euro front bumper and then leave the other areas as-is, at least until some point down the line.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #25
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Hey guys, I just picked up a used (new to me) '11 M3, absolutely loving it so far. The only thing that's bothering me is that the previous owner did not install a clear bra on the car and despite having only 3600 miles there are some chips and marring from debris. Most of this is on the front bumper, side skirts behind the front wheels and the rear bumper behind the rear wheels.

I really want to get this repaired and then get the clear bra installed. I just wanted to ask what are my options? Will I have to fully repaint the front bumper, rockers, and rear bumper? Or can those areas typically be repaired without a full repaint? Also, after I get these areas repaired, I will obviously cover the bumper in clear film. But are behind the front wheels and behind the rear wheels (inner fender portions) areas that you guys usually cover? I wasn't sure if it was feasible or not given the body ones of the car.
doctor color chip. mine comes tomorrow i will let you know how it works out
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #26
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
I appreciate the advice guys. I spoke to my salesman over weekend (who also owns an M3) and he stated that the chips behind the wheels are pretty much unavoidable and the only real option is to get the areas painted every few years, which would be a losing battle obviously. Is this true? If so, I might just pick up a pre-painted Euro front bumper and then leave the other areas as-is, at least until some point down the line.
He is wrong. Getting the film will prevent any chipping... and those areas are easy to cover and do not even cost much.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
AutoCon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

The solution for the OP is "Bulk film wrap" after a re-spray, it will be costly up front but you ALWAYS pay @ the back end whether you know it or not if this issue is left alone.

Bulk wrap is a custom wrap as opposed to the pre-cut kits everyone is mentioning in this thread(That has the unsightly lines)where the custom bulk style has the edges wrapped.

As for the wheel arches those areas even if wrapped will have a edge but then the "Bead blasted look" will be prevented and re-sale or trade in value is restored(If the work is quality....) as a dealership will hammer you on this for re-con costs and a private prospective buyer will do the same as well as the car taking a longtime to sell because of cosmetic blemishes.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #28
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
The solution for the OP is "Bulk film wrap" after a re-spray, it will be costly up front but you ALWAYS pay @ the back end whether you know it or not if this issue is left alone.

Bulk wrap is a custom wrap as opposed to the pre-cut kits everyone is mentioning in this thread(That has the unsightly lines)where the custom bulk style has the edges wrapped.

As for the wheel arches those areas even if wrapped will have a edge but then the "Bead blasted look" will be prevented and re-sale or trade in value is restored(If the work is quality....) as a dealership will hammer you on this for re-con costs and a private prospective buyer will do the same as well as the car taking a longtime to sell because of cosmetic blemishes.
Saying all precut kits have seems is like me saying all custom cut kits will have cut paint underneath. Its simply not the case. There are numerosu kit amnufacturers and there are varying qualities of kits just as there are films. Also it is very simple to go in and ADD wrapped edges to a kit where ever the film will wrap/tuck on a car. Very simple and I do it all the time. Most seems people speak of are the ones across the hood and fenders anyway... and as stated before on the M3 it is best to go with a full wrap on those panels... especially the hood. If the OP decides to go with a custom install I HIGHLY recommend checking out their work as MOST shops that try and provide custom installs cut the film on the paint... thus cutting the paint. There are very few installers in the country that have that skill. So make sure you go to one or you might as well not get a clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #29
AutoCon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

I could see adding material if a kit is installed already, but almost none of my clients do this as it something that looks added on and the company I work with usually Premier in Fremont CA has never done this to my knowledge, as the client would have the kit replaced with a custom edge wrapped installation.

Have a client with a Alpine White M3 who is replacing his pre-cut install just for this particular reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #30
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I was told that even the clear bra in those areas would take a beating, so it's kind of pointless to cover.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

The Clear-Bra type wraps on a car reminds me of my old Italian grandmother who had all her upholstered furniture wrapped in plastic and had plastic runners leading to all the rooms on top of the carpet . God help you if you stepped off the plastic and your foot touched carpet!

If can not get all tight in the shorts over a few paint chips as a result of use. It's a car!