BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #23
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Pretty much been said before.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #24
turb934
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Break in is more for the transmission & rear differential. Not as much of an issue for the engine
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Ovaries
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #26
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb934 View Post
Break in is more for the transmission & rear differential. Not as much of an issue for the engine
Nonsense. rear differentials do not need a break-in period. Once the gears are miked that's it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #27
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Man if I stole it I would be driving it like I was in the Fast and Furious
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
drive it like you stole it.
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #28
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Interesting topic. The first thing to know is any issues due to not following break-in would be in the long term, in the form of decreased engine/tranny/diff life, but it's almost impossible to quantify. No demo car ever follows break-in rules, and they're sold as 'new' cars, with full warranties.

Issues commonly related to a bad break-in are increased oil consumption, a 'whiny' differential, to a less extent 'whiny' transmission, and decreased engine life, which is very subjective.

In my opinion, break-in is speficied in the US more for legal reasons than mechanical ones, as some identical cars don't specify a break-in period in Europe but they do in the US. Basically the manufacturer wants the driver to get familiar with the car before going crazy, which is also a good idea for the brakes, clutch, differential, transmission, and engine, but how much (if at all) those components are affected without proper break-in is an issue that's impossible to prove. I mostly follow it because I want to be familiar with the car before pushing it, and also makes me feel good that I'm taking steps to maximize the life of my car overall, since driving in that manner means no gear grinding (for 6MTs), no clutch glazing, no brake squealing (due to glazed rotors), etc.

But what's more important to me is how you take care of the car all the time, like no speed-shifting, no hard throttle until oil is at operating temperature, etc. Good day gang.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #29
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Interesting topic. The first thing to know is any issues due to not following break-in would be in the long term, in the form of decreased engine/tranny/diff life, but it's almost impossible to quantify. No demo car ever follows break-in rules, and they're sold as 'new' cars, with full warranties.

Issues commonly related to a bad break-in are increased oil consumption, a 'whiny' differential, to a less extent 'whiny' transmission, and decreased engine life, which is very subjective.

In my opinion, break-in is speficied in the US more for legal reasons than mechanical ones, as some identical cars don't specify a break-in period in Europe but they do in the US. Basically the manufacturer wants the driver to get familiar with the car before going crazy, which is also a good idea for the brakes, clutch, differential, transmission, and engine, but how much (if at all) those components are affected without proper break-in is an issue that's impossible to prove. I mostly follow it because I want to be familiar with the car before pushing it, and also makes me feel good that I'm taking steps to maximize the life of my car overall, since driving in that manner means no gear grinding (for 6MTs), no clutch glazing, no brake squealing (due to glazed rotors), etc.

But what's more important to me is how you take care of the car all the time, like no speed-shifting, no hard throttle until oil is at operating temperature, etc. Good day gang.
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #30
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Sell your improperly broken in M3s now before the engine blows up.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #31
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Too late.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #32
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Ovaries
      12-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #33
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: OGV

Quote:
Ovaries
omg, i just laughed out loud... at work... HAA!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #34
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Ovaries

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #35
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Sell your improperly broken in M3s now before the engine blows up.
Blows up how, from the bullshit story about the car running while puting gas in, or from the bullshit story about not breaking it in up to 3K?
Or maybe it was the bullshit story about static electricity and exhaust fumes?

Which bullshit story are you referring to sir?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #36
turb934
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Nonsense. rear differentials do not need a break-in period. Once the gears are miked that's it.
Was told by M division engineers that a 1200 mile break in for the rear differentail & manual transmission is more critical than for the engine and then a fluid change.
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #37
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb934 View Post
Was told by M division engineers that a 1200 mile break in for the rear differentail & manual transmission is more critical than for the engine and then a fluid change.
M division engineers called you in Ontario to discuss trannies and diffs? Ok, I'll play along. I could only imagine that the reasoning would be that IF there were a problem, damage would be minimal ($$) and easily repaired as opposed to damage that takes place under full throttle. By no means though, do gears have a break-in period.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #38
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Yea, I realize that the car won't blow up, the warranty won't be void, and that this is a REPOST, hence my disclosure in the first post. However, still curious, does anyone have any experience with a car that wasn't broke in properly? How differently does it handle? When I got the car, it was low on oil, kinda pissed me off, anyway, would my car run through oil faster? That doesn't even make sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #39
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
M division engineers called you in Ontario to discuss trannies and diffs? Ok, I'll play along. I could only imagine that the reasoning would be that IF there were a problem, damage would be minimal ($$) and easily repaired as opposed to damage that takes place under full throttle. By no means though, do gears have a break-in period.
Yes - gears have a break in period. Diffs do need to be broken in. Careful who you "play along" with. He never said anything about being on the phone. He was however in Germany at BMW and had some time at M division - so there might be a correlation.....

But I do understand why you be skeptical given some of the stuff posted on this board.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #40
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
M division engineers called you in Ontario to discuss trannies and diffs? Ok, I'll play along.
Unbelievable. We here in Ontario have telephones, the internet and yes, even airplanes. Once in awhile we're even given travel permits so that we can visit people and places "on the outside", provided of course that we trust our government enough to detain our families comfortably until we return.

That aside, all this info has been helpful. Didn't break in the 135 gently, in fact it was broken in (with only 450 km's on the odo) at Watkins Glen (yes Kyoshi, had to travel to New York for this but I have friends in high places who helped me in) and its been perfect since. I plan to do the same for the soon to be M3 but I'll pay attention to turb934's advice (and all of the other posts regarding this issue) which generally suggest a common sense "mix" of driving ranges.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #41
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Careful who you "play along" with. He never said anything about being on the phone. He was however in Germany at BMW and had some time at M division - so there might be a correlation.....

I'll just put my foot in my mouth at this point ok??
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #42
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Unbelievable. We here in Ontario have telephones, the internet and yes, even airplanes. Once in awhile we're even given travel permits so that we can visit people and places "on the outside", provided of course that we trust our government enough to detain our families comfortably until we return.

That aside, all this info has been helpful. Didn't break in the 135 gently, in fact it was broken in (with only 450 km's on the odo) at Watkins Glen (yes Kyoshi, had to travel to New York for this but I have friends in high places who helped me in) and its been perfect since. I plan to do the same for the soon to be M3 but I'll pay attention to turb934's advice (and all of the other posts regarding this issue) which generally suggest a common sense "mix" of driving ranges.
OMG! They let you out? What is this world coming to? And who are these people in New York? I'll see to it that the DHS, FBI, and USMC get on it right away. We cannot allow this to happen in USA. New York is in the USA, isn't it? Never mind.

Achtung! This is a public message for those of you who break-in their new BMW improperly:

you will be severely punished.
      12-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #43
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Honestly I think 99% of the break in thing is to make the owner feel good
No it isn't.

My dad a mechanic for 40+ years (now retired... obviously) says that breaking in is important if you wish your car to last long.

Something to do with tiny particles of metal that need to be expelled from the car
      12-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #44
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
OMG! They let you out? What is this world coming to? And who are these people in New York? I'll see to it that the DHS, FBI, and USMC get on it right away. We cannot allow this to happen in USA. New York is in the USA, isn't it? Never mind.

Touche
Appreciate 0