BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Um --- how about here

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...=turbo&kwm=ANY

and here

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...e-blk-tan.html

On top of that I said upper $60's to mid $70's. I will bet you around Septmeber of this year, MOST '07s will be in the mid $60's.

Not everybody lives in southern Kalifornia. Porsche's are flashy to 95% of the general population.
2 Cars in the entire US dont constitute the average. A high mileage 50k mile car and a stripped automatic lol. Just sayin.

I have no clue where the market will be in the future. Couldn't care. Not in that market. But, with Porsche raising prices, it might be helping some of those used cars sustain value.

My rebutal to the OP. Are you looking to get a daily driver Porsche, and keep it for 3 years like you did with the M3? Say you put a light 25k miles on it in 3 years. Starting with a 50k+ mile cheaper turbo might not be the best way to go? I honestly cant remember the last time I owned a car and ever put 30k miles on it so I wouldnt be qualified to even recommend what you should do. But, it is something to think about with higher mileage depreciation.

Last edited by Optherion; 02-22-2012 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
2 Cars in the entire US dont constitute the average. A high mileage 50k mile car and a stripped automatic lol. Just sayin.

I have no clue where the market will be in the future. Couldn't care. Not in that market. But, with Porsche raising prices, it might be helping some of those used cars sustain value.

My rebutal to the OP. Are you looking to get a daily driver Porsche, and keep it for 3 years like you did with the M3? Say you put a light 25k miles on it in 3 years. Starting with a 50k+ mile cheaper turbo might not be the best way to go? I honestly cant remember the last time I owned a car and ever put 30k miles on it so I wouldnt be qualified to even recommend what you should do. But, it is something to think about with higher mileage depreciation.
2 cars? What the hell are you talking about? The first link contains 10 alone. The second link took me all of one minute to find on the first page of the 6 speedonline forum "for sale" ads. It's obvious you have no idea (again) what the hell you are talking about.

On top of that, where in the hell did I say it was the "average"....my exact words were "'07 and '08 Turbos could be had for the upper $60's to mid $70's". What part of that don't you understand.

Now that you have been proven wrong all of sudden "you don't care" where prices will be

It's obvious you care, otherwise you woudn't have made the smart ass comment in the first place. GTFO with your nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #25
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Go read my first post. I said mileage will always be a factor. I wont argue with you because anyone can go read your post history. You talk about the 997 turbo in almost every single thread youve ever posted in. Why dont you have one yet?

We might as well be discussing two separate cars. I myself usually only buy used cars with less than 10k miles that have taken the initial depreciation of 1 owner and light driving. Of course 30k, 40k, and 50k mile cars will depreciate exponentially from pristine 10k mile 2008 turbos. Guess I need to make that clear to all the keyboard jockeys on here that like to pick apart word for word.

However that black CPO turbo does look like a pretty good deal. And the interior is in great shape.

Last edited by Optherion; 02-22-2012 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #26
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post

Go read my first post. I said mileage will always be a factor. I wont argue with you because anyone can go read your post history. You talk about the 997 turbo in almost every single thread youve ever posted in. Why dont you have one yet?

We might as well be discussing two separate cars. I myself usually only buy used cars with less than 10k miles that have taken the initial depreciation of 1 owner and light driving. Of course 30k, 40k, and 50k mile cars will depreciate exponentially from pristine 10k mile 2008 turbos. Guess I need to make that clear to all the keyboard jockeys on here that like to pick apart word for word.

However that black CPO turbo does look like a pretty good deal. And the interior is in great shape.
You haven't a clue dude. I have 16 pages worth of posts and my comments about the 997 Turbo have been in 2 or 3 recent threads. Since it sounds like you are reviewing my posts, you should know why I don't own one already.

And since when is this thread about you? Nobody cares when, how, under what circumstances YOU purchase a car for YOU.

The comment I made to the OP is that a 997.1 Turbo with decent mileage can be had for upper $60's to mid $70's. That statement is factual. I have backed it up. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know you southern Kal folks think everything is all about you. Psssst, it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

I have an E90 and a 997tt. I drive my M3 more. Dont get me wrong the turbo is fast, very fast, but I really think I enjoy my M3 more of the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #28
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

OP why don't you get a GTR. sound like a better car than the turrro.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #29
JB_Vert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Ended up with a 997.1 Turbo...

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the responses.

Upon alms211's advice, I looked into the 2007 Turbos with low mileage out there. There were only a handful that were non-leased CPOs with less than 20K miles, very well kept, with a squeaky clean Carfax that I could get for $85 or less. One of them is now in my garage--Guards Red w/ Natural Brown full leather and 12,500 miles. Nearly flawless.

As cars go in North Carolina, this would fall in the flashy category, though there are a few Porsches around. I couldn't help it though, the red was just too good looking.

As compared to the M3, there is a little more road noise, and the engine sounds different. The exhaust note is actually quite nice if you are in a position to hear it, but inside the car you get more of the turbo-related noises. The engine noise is actually less prominent on the highway due, in part, to lower RPM at speed.

As for the manual, every aspect is different--the Porsche clutch is stiffer with a shorter throw and different engagement point. The shifter throw is a little shorter with a little more of a connected feel--less soft-ish isolation. The gate is also narrower--almost went from 2nd to 5th a couple of times. The throttle is also more sensitive because I always kept my "Power" button off in the M3. The Turbo doesn't need to be revved as much before shifting. So, I'm having to re-learn how to drive this stick. Oddly, though I'm still in this process, it has been easier to rev match downshifts.

I actually don't find the steering to be much different. If anything, the M3 was easier to keep straight out on the interstate, particularly on any grooves. This may be due to the huge rear tires on the Turbo (305's). The Porsche probably has a little more feel, but not much. We're talking subtle differences here. I realize the AWD on the Turbo is probably interfering with the "pure" Porsche steering here.

I would also call the comfort differences subtle. I drove the Turbo for 550 miles without an ache or pain. It has the regular (cushy, though perfectly supportive) power seats. The dead pedal is a little further right than I'd like it due to the wheel well. All of the Porsche pedals are shifted right, to the extent that the clutch is nearly centered under the steering wheel. I didn't find the change unnatural feeling, just different.

The engine's low range pull difference is not subtle. The Porshce doesn't rev as freely as the M3, but it doesn't need to. I think part of this perception is magnified by the engine noise being less isolated from the cockpit.

The Turbo is a looker! They really did a good job with the rear spoiler on the 997. That rear end is muscular to say the least--wider than the M3. What a butt on this car!

For the CPO, they gave me 4 new tires, new wheel caps, a new battery the day I picked it up, an alignment, and a couple of new air filter foam pieces that were dried up so as to be somewhat brittle. The engine compartment is clean, though it really doesn't look detailed. The car was a garaged weekend driver that wasn't tracked.

AND, I didn't scrape a single one of the six speed bumps leading to my house in my neighborhood--was a little nervous about that, hearing about how the bottom front splitter was fairly cheap and replaceable for a reason.

I've a got a couple of low front corner scratches to buff on, and some slightly oily/dirty leather here and there to clean up, and the car will be very close to new condition. I'm very happy with the decision. It will not see more than about 3K miles a year at the most, and I will keep it immaculate, so maybe in ten years it will still be quite valuable.

FYI, I largely made my decision among the Porsche alternatives based on the engines. I ultimately decided not to go with the DFI of the 997.2, and the M96/M97 of the 997.1 C2 and C2S were not well-received--as mentioned by some of you. The 2007-08 Turbos were the last of that breed to get the old GT1/M64 derived Mezger, and that appealed to me. I don't trust DFI, and it just seemed like, if I was going to buy a Porsche, it should have an engine designed by Hans Mezger.

On an interesting note, my family--Mom, Dad, and Wife--were having trouble understanding my decision...until they saw the red Turbo pull up. My two-year-old son exclaimed, "It's a Ferrari." Yes, he's 27 months old.

Thanks for all your input,
JB
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #30
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Love the Ferrari part. Guess now we know what your kid will be driving
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
alms211
Banned
Rep

Wow JB Vert...that is fantastic. Great move on your part. I have begun my search for an '07 or '08 997 Turbo as well. GT1 Mezger engines are absolutely wonderful. Please post up some pictures of that beauty. That ass on the Turbo is a work of art. Congrats to you!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #32
mpm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW M coupe  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
i did own both, truthfully i did end up missing my M, but the 911s is awesome in a lot of ways. sold both miss the M more just easier to drive day to day, just my .02 cents either way BOTH are awesome cars