BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW

08-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #67
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

I'm all for BMW building cars in the U.S.A., but with that being said, if anyone has toured a BMW assembly line, most of the work is done by robots.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #68
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

None of my opinions are based on race, but on track record of US and German-based BMW plant quality vs. other German brands and their Mexican-based plants. It's based on years of hearing comments from frustrated VW owners whose Jettas and the like fell apart certain areas like interior trim (for instance) and so forth.

At the end of the day, it's just that - an opinion - not a racist comment. Maybe BMW will make it happen, just as they have in other parts of the world. Even so, I'd rather buy a proven product for the time being and let others take a chance first.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #69
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

This is the email I just sent BMW.

"It is very distrubing to myself and many other LOYAL american BMW owners that you have decieded to outsource your new production plant to mexico to avoid paying american wages but you intend to sell that product in an american market. I have bought 4 bmw/mini products in the last 3-4 years. Your loyal repeat buyers are aware of your build plans and are livid you intend to do so "on the cheap" Many of us will not be buying future BMW products if you can't even build them where you sell them. We know you cannot entirely build them all in every market but atleast build them in a 1st world country so we may make enough money to buy your products. If we only sell each other a cup of coffee or a hamburger who can afford to buy a 60kplus car. Please consider this in your thinking. Thank you for your time."

To the Mexican members of this forum. We don't fault you for wanting this factory. It would bring good paying jobs to you. Having said that we need those jobs as well. And as most of these cars would be sold to American/Canadian markets they should be built here. If they build them in Mexico I will not be buying another.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #70
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post
None of my opinions are based on race, but on track record of US and German-based BMW plant quality vs. other German brands and their Mexican-based plants. It's based on years of hearing comments from frustrated VW owners whose Jettas and the like fell apart certain areas like interior trim (for instance) and so forth.

At the end of the day, it's just that - an opinion - not a racist comment. Maybe BMW will make it happen, just as they have in other parts of the world. Even so, I'd rather buy a proven product for the time being and let others take a chance first.
VW did have problems with their quality here in the 90's and early 00's. It was a VW problem not a Mexico problem. They have since improved their quality a lot. All Jettas & Beetles are built here for worldwide consumption.

It´s not as if VW is the only manufacturer operating out of Mexico. As has been mentioned, Ford (Fusion & the equivalent Lincoln), GM (Cadillac SUV's), Nissan (Versa), Fiat/Chrysler (500C previously PT Cruiser, Neon, etc), Honda, etc all build cars here.

Many Mexican plants (not that particular VW one) have won worldwide quality awards beating plants elsewhere (including the U.S.).

It´s up to BMW to do a quality job here. They already do with their armored vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #71
punky8d
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: you crazy..

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortressmaximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW335
Mexican delivery?
Hahaha! However, Mexican delivery may be more exhilarating than European delivery because of the much higher adrenaline you get trying to escape gang warfare, drug cartels, fully automatic weapons, and machetes with your new BMW.
Hahaha!
I know...

Still I'm definitely not into
BMW, the ultimate Mexican machine.
2018 F80 M3 CS
[Sold] 2019 F87 M2 Competition
[Sold] 2016 235i ?M?
[Sold] 2015 F82 M4
[Sold] 2013 C350
[Sold] 2008 CRV
[Sold] 2008 E93 M3
[Sold] 2006 E92 335i
[Sold] 2002 325i
[Sold] 1996 318i
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #72
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post

To the Mexican members of this forum. We don't fault you for wanting this factory. It would bring good paying jobs to you. Having said that we need those jobs as well. And as most of these cars would be sold to American/Canadian markets they should be built here. If they build them in Mexico I will not be buying another.

Thank you.
It´s not as if BMW announced it was moving the Spartanburg plant to Mexico. If anything, this plant will take away production from the current Germany/SA locations. Probably not even that given BMW´s growth plans for the decade.

And, having the plant in Mexico will actually create jobs in the U.S. by enabling U.S. based suppliers to participate, just as they do with other plants in operation today. This U.S. based suppliers are not competitive shipping heavy parts to Europe/Africa.

Consider that and if not convinced that this is a good thing please do write a similar letter to Audi and Mercedes-Benz. Audi will be opening a plant here even sooner (100% official) and Mercedes builds buses and trucks here already.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #73
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
atleast build them in a 1st world country so we may make enough money to buy your products. If we only sell each other a cup of coffee or a hamburger who can afford to buy a 60kplus car.
One more comment regarding this. Car manufacturing isn´t really a 1st world job anymore. There are things in which the U.S. is competitive and tops in the world. Those are the real jobs worth having today. As countries innovate in technology they get 1st shot at entirely new categories. That is where the U.S. is competitive.

Software, biotech, online services, aerospace (especially military), space, advanced materials, clean energy, design, etc. Look to the future man, not to the past.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #74
hanman
BMW ENTHUSIAST
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMPETITION

Garage List
don't do it we will pay more its worth it...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #75
MedicDG
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Wow BMW congrats... Looks like you found a new way to cut corners on your best selling 3 series. In my opinion they have cut corners of them vehicles over the last couple of years.

BMW You are being penny smart and dollar dumb. Good luck with your plant in Mexico.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #76
SD335M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M, E90 LeMans Blue.

Garage List
2011 e90  [0.00]
-1!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #77
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Bottom line is we pay more for a 3 series because it's a German premium product
Next thing you know is it will be assembled in Mexico
And the next m3 will basically use a souped up 335is engine
And yet I'm expected to pay a hefty premium?
Gtf outta here
I'll take my money elsewhere

I've tried 2 cars made in Mexico
And they both sucked
So I'd be a fool to think the next one will be any good

You all are free to gamble with your money, to inflate the already healthy profits of BMW with your hard earned cash

I'd rather pay for something I know is well made
And before you all start with your "you're a racist crap"
My brother owns a BMW assembled by BMW in Egypt
My best friend owns the same car, but assembled in Germany
One has been nothing but problems
And the other (German) has been bullet proof
So it's not that I'm anti Mexican
Im anti buying a German car that's not made in Germany
I got a US built X3 for my wife
And while it's been pretty reliable
I notice a lot of issues with fit and finish compared to my M3
One looks cheaply made
One looks like the guy making actually cared about what he was doing
      08-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #78
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
I had a German made VW golf GTI in my twenties,it wasnt the most reliable car.

Cars assembled in Mexico

Acura MDX ,Acura ZDX,Chevrolet Camaro, Chevrolet Equinox, Chevrolet Impala, Chrysler 300 Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger

Dodge Grand Caravan, Ford Edge Ford Flex, GMC Terrain,Honda Civic sedan and coupe, Civic sedan and coupe Si,Lexus RX350 Lincoln MKT Lincoln MKX

Toyota Corolla,Toyota Matrix, Toyota RAV4, Volkswagen Routan

Cadillac Escalade EXT ,Cadillac SRX ,Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Aveo ,Chevrolet HHR ,Chevrolet Silverado and Silverado Hybrid ,Dodge Journey ,Fiat 500 ,Ford Fiesta

Ford Fusion and Fusion Hybrid ,GMC Sierra, Sierra Hybrid and Sierra Crew Cab ,Honda CR-V Lincoln MKZ and MKZ Hybrid Nissan Sentra Nissan Versa Ram 2500/3500/4500/5500

Toyota Tacoma Saab 9-4X Volkswagen Jetta/Jetta

Some of the most reliable cars like the Honda Civic,Toyota Tacoma,Corolla are made in Mexico.
I don't see any premium cars made in Mexico
All the ones you listed are regular family type cars
      08-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #79
Zed2004
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neph
Never fails to surprise me how ignorant and racist people can be - extrapolating their warped perception of things to draw baseless conclusions as some of you have.

It is no wonder we Americans are viewed as mindless drones. Y'all need to wake up.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #80
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
One more comment regarding this. Car manufacturing isn´t really a 1st world job anymore. There are things in which the U.S. is competitive and tops in the world. Those are the real jobs worth having today. As countries innovate in technology they get 1st shot at entirely new categories. That is where the U.S. is competitive.

Software, biotech, online services, aerospace (especially military), space, advanced materials, clean energy, design, etc. Look to the future man, not to the past.
It's still a first world job that is tempted by uber cheap labor. I've owned an Audi A5 and S5 as well. I noted they decieded to build in Mexico and cancelled my order for a TTRS and told them why. I'm not worried about build quality, i know yall can build them just fine. again my issue is the intended market. If for south America fine I get it.. North America, build them here.

Don't SH$T where you eat BMW. You will be doing just that.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #81
wabbit
wabbit!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: ///1M

some comments here show the lack of education of many of you people, you should forget the stereotypes and read a little...

just saying...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #82
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
Take this up with GM, Ford, etc. as well. ALL AUTO COMPANIES SEEK BEST PROFITS for their SHAREHOLDERS, wherever they may be. No company is in the business of "helping out" its consumers.

BMW already has production in the US, and I'm sure it's profitable. I'm also sure the US has been a greater contributer to BMWs bottom line than Mexico has ever been or ever will be. Nice way to reward us BMW.

My loyal support (6 straight cars) which was wavering with the introduction of the F30 is now extinquished. BMWs are not that great anymore to put up with such insults. ATS here I come.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #83
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Don't SH$T where you eat BMW. You will be doing just that.
Word!!
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #84
Marioalex24
Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Talking

Quote:

"It is very distrubing to myself and many other LOYAL american BMW owners that you have decieded to outsource your new production plant to mexico to avoid paying american wages but you intend to sell that product in an american market. I have bought 4 bmw/mini products in the last 3-4 years. Your loyal repeat buyers are aware of your build plans and are livid you intend to do so "on the cheap" Many of us will not be buying future BMW products if you can't even build them where you sell them. We know you cannot entirely build them all in every market but atleast build them in a 1st world country so we may make enough money to buy your products. If we only sell each other a cup of coffee or a hamburger who can afford to buy a 60kplus car. Please consider this in your thinking. Thank you for your time."

Thank you.

Well it's going to suck loosing you as a BMW buyer. But I doubt BMW really is going to care. Bottom line is these companies are looking for large profits. It's a big competition out their in this world. And we all try to look the best way to make more money same quality but with less pay out of our pockets.

I guess a reason why BMW would not place another a plant in the USA because I dought anyone here would like to get paid $3hour of labor. Sucks but it's true, it's all about the cheap labor, cheap lot, insurance and etc. which in other countries it's way higher.

BMW is thinking in mass production as oppose to a few BMW fourm enthusiast who are die hards. Hey I prefer made in German. But what you going to do, when prices drop compared to their competitions and more people will buy BMW's. that's all they care about. Being number 1 in sells.

I myself had to do the same to keep my company up float and moved it south the boarder. Yes I pay my taxes in the USA to import, but many things are way cheaper, which I save on and yet my quality is the same or even better and I mainly work for high end clients. It's funny because a few wise and professional contractors understand my movement, but other ignorant contractors hear made in Mexico and they think cheap. But the material and supplies and build are all the same. I mean made in Mexico or USA. Mexicans are still making the product just different location.

SO THERE'S NO POINT IN BAD COMMENTS. WE ALL OUR BMW ENTHUSIASTS. AND YES I UNDERSTAND MOST OF EVERYONE'S POINT AND AGREE, especially on the 3 series. So many people here need to chill and stop taking it personal.
      08-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #85
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You sir are correct, BMW doesn't give a shit about its loyal customers anymore. It's about getting new customers in mass, with inferior technologies such as auto start stop, electric steering, run flats, FWD, and oh yea, no concern for cultural issues.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #86
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

This brand is looking more and more like Audi every single day.

Kinda funny, actually.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #87
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky8d View Post
BMW, the ultimate Mexican machine.
Please God no.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #88
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

How about those N54 High Pressure Fuel Pumps,WG actuator rattles, S65 ICV's, valve springs, main bearings failures? Those parts werent made in Mexico.
Some people had their HPFP's,ICV's replaced twice.
Appreciate 0