BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #23
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
are the ends plastic or a rubber?
On my APE filter its a rubber and it was annoying to fit it properly
The open end is rubber, as is the rest of the fiter. The closed end where the nozzle meets the dimple in the filter is hard plastic and doesn't bend at all.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #24
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionM3 View Post
Nice writeup! Thanks Nawaaz!
Thanks man! It means very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Yes - Thanks!!
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon733 View Post
how much is a bmc filter?
I ordered it from Fabspeed for $130 shipped. They are still running that deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
So that is what the nozzle is for! I have a Eurospec and I don't have the piece at all. I was just thinking about it. But I has no choice EAS was the only company that I found that could get a Europsec filter. I guess MS is pretty good too. I am getting it in my car today.
I can completely understand my friend. The MS & BMC should make the same power though, so it really doesn't make too much of a difference....As long as the filter fits perfectly on your specific car, that's all that really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Nice write up Nawaaz, I too love my BMC filter. And I much agree with you that my car feels like it revs a little freer than before.

I saw you got it from Fabspeed, I got mine from them too. Joey is great to deal with and I was actually the second person to get the redesign in the US. The first one was a test fit and the second one came to me.

FWIW, the redesign was simply a foam pad that was put into the dimple to hold the nozzle a bit more snug. Fittment of the BMC filter is spot on and its quality is top notch. I had an aFe filter before and didn't even install it.

BMC air filter definitely FTW
Thanks MMMorish! I saw your thread on your BMC and it helped me out a bunch. You are right on man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Looks good Nawaaz!!! =) So is it my turn for a ride in your car? haha ... I will be ordering this filter now. Thanks for the write up and if your butt dyno can feel a little bit of a gain, then I guess it is worth the price. After I get some of my mods maybe we can have a dyno day somewhere.
Hi Edwin!

You can drive my M3 anytime partner! I'm very glad my review helped you out.

I'll see you soon and hope we can do a dyno!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
The open end is rubber, as is the rest of the fiter. The closed end where the nozzle meets the dimple in the filter is hard plastic and doesn't bend at all.
100% correct my man! Thank you for answering the question.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #25
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Any of these oiled filters you can use the K&N charging kit. Also, I checked with Rennspec a few days ago about the BMC and yes they have the new filter (that fits flawlessly) in stock
I just spoke with Jason @ Renn-Spec. Even though it's listed on their website, he told me they didn't carry this brand of filters anymore. Too bad, I had a laundry list of items to buy -
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #26
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just spoke with Jason @ Renn-Spec. Even though it's listed on their website, he told me they didn't carry this brand of filters anymore. Too bad, I had a laundry list of items to buy -
Yeah, I ran into the same situation. Fabspeed is probably the only vendor that I know of that carries the right one as of right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:13 AM   #27
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Yes. It fits very well, and I do feel that the engine revs more freely.
Of course it does....and how stupid are BMW, all those years of experience and R&D dollars and they couldn't figure out there were extra BHPs to be had just by fitting a better air filter ?

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 08-25-2009 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #28
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Of course it does....and how stupid are BMW, all those years of experience and R&D dollars and they couldn't figure out there were extra BHPs to be had just by fitting a better air filter ?
As an OE manufacturer, BMW has to balance engine performance with the filtration performance of the filter media they use. Keeping contaminates out of the engine is a high priority. The cellulose (paper) material used has a very small micron size to restrict the passage of these dust particles into the intake tract. Unfortunately, that slightly reduces the engine HP output as a result.

It is not BMW's inability to design or select a more free flowing filter media. The engineers are well aware of the potential power increase by using a less restrictive engine filter. They have made a conscious choice to use the more restrictive filter design on the S65 engine. (to reduce the accumulation of dust)

Most of the time, automobile manufacturers have to be somewhat practical in their decision making process. Sometimes that means being overly protective to increase the longevity of the part (for warranty repair purposes), and sometimes that means they have to be ultra-conservative in order to meet some strict government regulation. (so they can legally sell the car in the first place)

The aftermarket parts suppliers are not subjected to these design constraints. They are free to design parts that are more aggressive in regards to performance. The two camps don't have the same concerns or responsibilities, and that will never change.
      08-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #29
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ Very well said.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #30
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
As an OE manufacturer, BMW has to balance engine performance with the filtration performance of the filter media they use. Keeping contaminates out of the engine is a high priority. The cellulose (paper) material used has a very small micron size to restrict the passage of these dust particles into the intake tract. Unfortunately, that slightly reduces the engine HP output as a result.

It is not BMW's inability to design or select a more free flowing filter media. The engineers are well aware of the potential power increase by using a less restrictive engine filter. They have made a conscious choice to use the more restrictive filter design on the S65 engine. (to reduce the accumulation of dust)

Most of the time, automobile manufacturers have to be somewhat practical in their decision making process. Sometimes that means being overly protective to increase the longevity of the part (for warranty repair purposes), and sometimes that means they have to be ultra-conservative in order to meet some strict government regulation. (so they can legally sell the car in the first place)

The aftermarket parts suppliers are not subjected to these design constraints. They are free to design parts that are more aggressive in regards to performance. The two camps don't have the same concerns or responsibilities, and that will never change.
Indeed...Unfortunately peeps are quite happy to replace a part critical to the protection of their engine with an untested $10 aftermarket air filter on the basis of anecdotal evidence.
But at least the engine will rev more freely on its way to increased oil consumption.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 08-25-2009 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #31
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Indeed...Unfortunately peeps are quite happy to replace a part critical to the protection of their engine with an untested $10 aftermarket air filter on the basis of anecdotal evidence.
But at least the engine will rev more freely on its way to increased oil consumption.
What are you talking about???

An aftermarket filter like the BMC or MS will be plenty safe. The OEM air filter just takes it one step above on the safety. Some of these aftermarket air filters aren't cheap '$10' ones. The companies that produce some of them are top notch, and they know what they're doing.

There shouldn't be any drawbacks to an aftermarket air filter like mine. IMHO, the purpose of a 'high-performance' air filter is to give improved performance while not compromising the safety of the engine. Again, it is plenty safe, even when you compare it to the stock one.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #32
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
What are you talking about???
An aftermarket filter like the BMC or MS will be plenty safe. The OEM air filter just takes it a step beyond on the safety.
There shouldn't be any drawbacks to an aftermarket air filter like mine. IMHO, the purpose of it a 'high-performance' air filter is to give improved performance while not compromising the safety of the engine. Again, it is plenty safe, even when you compare it to the stock one.
And you know this how? Because BMC tell you?
If the filters improved throughput is at the expense of less effective filtration then its inevitable that the engine will wear at an increased rate (even if only marginally). I'd be wanting a significant performance benefit before compromising the effectiveness of the intake filtration, not some impression that it might rev a bit freer.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #33
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the filters improved throughput is at the expense of less effective filtration then its inevitable that the engine will wear at an increased rate (even if only marginally). I'd be wanting a significant performance benefit before compromising the effectiveness of the intake filtration, not some impression that it might rev a bit freer.
Quote from BMC's official website:

"24 HOURS LE MANS
Official Teams invest all their energy to win the most famous and gruelling "Engines" Endurance trial in the world.
During the 24 hours race the cars cover around 5,000 Km at an average speed of more than 200 Km/h.
Air filters have to protect the engines from the outside elements such as oil,asphalt tracks and other debris being sucked in.
At the same time the air filters must enable the maximum airflow to not hit the performance.
During year 2000 BMC won this race supplying Audi R8, which reached the first three places and the same in 2001 when they reached 1st, 2nd and 3rd place."

( link: http://www.bmcairfilters.com/company.asp )

And BMC uses their knowledge and experience from the past so that they may produce the filter that is available for our e9x m3. A company like BMC uses its time and enegry to specialize in making the best air filter possible. Let's face. Most of us turn to aftermarket companies because we want to improve upon the weaknesses of the vehicle.

If BMC didn't make a damn reliable product, they wouldn't have been in business as long as they have been. This ain't no cheap company.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #34
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Nice review.

...2 down, 10 to go.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #35
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
Nice review.

...2 down, 10 to go.
hahaha.....Should have everything on my M3 by the start of October, if not earlier.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #36
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Just got an email from Gary - They may have it after all.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #37
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just got an email from Gary - They may have it after all.
AHA! BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #38
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Ummm... maybe better products with in the design of the filter? Remember it is still a replacement part for BMW, so they might try to be cost effective while keeping safety. I dunno, I'm no expert, why wouldn't they just put the most expensive oil known to racing... because it wouldn't be cost effective. But what they use is efficient.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #39
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ummm... maybe better products with in the design of the filter? Remember it is still a replacement part for BMW, so they might try to be cost effective while keeping safety. I dunno, I'm no expert, why wouldn't they just put the most expensive oil known to racing... because it wouldn't be cost effective. But what they use is efficient.
Great point Edwin!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #40
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What you are doing by using an aftermarket air filter is gambling that the manufacturer has got his sums right, that the larger particle size that the filter allows to pass into the engine will not produce an excessive level of extra engine wear...and the benefit of the gamble is what? 1 or 2 BHP?
Would you fit an aftermarket oil filter that let bigger particles pass through it to circulate round the engine for a similar 1 or 2 bhp benefit?
These sort of snake oil products appeal to the unimformed who actually believe there is such a thing as a free lunch in aftermarket performance parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #41
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What you are doing by using an aftermarket air filter is gambling that the manufacturer has got his sums right, that the larger particle size that the filter allows to pass into the engine will not produce an excessive level of extra engine wear...and the benefit of the gamble is what? 1 or 2 BHP?
Would you fit an aftermarket oil filter that let bigger particles pass through it to circulate round the engine for a similar 1 or 2 bhp benefit?
These sort of snake oil products appeal to the unimformed who actually believe there is such a thing as a free lunch in aftermarket performance parts.
If you maintain and clean the aftermarket air filter every few months, there shouldn't be a problem. If you study the differences between the stock one and the aftermarket one, you'll notice that the aftermarket air filter is made of higher quality materials, and NOT a thin piece of cheap layer. The goal of the aftermarket air filter is to reduce the restriction, yet still have the excellent protection. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #42
TonyTone
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 VERT

nice
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #43
Nawaaz
Brigadier General