BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP| MW / SO

...tested the DCT today at dealer...too bad

So I went to finally see for myself the issues mentioned at SEVERAL posts about the problems with the tranny on the M-DCT. Of course, I am sure given hard driving at the track will "enhance" these problems (like skipping gears or unresponsive downshifts at a turn in). My first impression of the DCT is that it is probably as quick as Porsche's new PDK (tested a 2009 Carrera S a few weeks ago) and delivers the power more "evenly" than when I tested the manual 6 speed M3 at the dealer a few days before. I think for every day use it is an incredible transmission but since I am about to order a 2009 E90 M3, and plan to track it AT LEAST once a month (Harris Hill Road, Austin) I will stick with the manual 6 speed. It is a real shame since if I had not read all the problems other owners have had with their transmissions at several tracks I would have ordered it for sure. Thanks to all the people that have posted these issues on this site, I decided I needed to really make sure and try it my self.
I actually encountered a weird problem....after driving the car for a bit in the "D" mode, I decided to test the nice paddle shift. I was at a red light and after going through 100 steps ( once you get it down I am sure it is easier, and enable the "M" button at the steering wheel) I was able to turn the traction control off, set to Sport Plus and to M drive (can't remember al the terms now)....anyhow, I slammed the gad and......NOTHING...the car returned to NEUTRAL!!!!! I had to switch back to drive just to drive away since I had cars behind me...after doing this, it actually came back again to S mode??? Very confusing.
After I took of, I did not experience any more problems and started to have fun with the car...even pulled a 180 in the highway (probably not a smart idea, but DEFINETLY fun) ...I was laughing like a small child inside of the car, I am sure the drivers around me must have thought I am completely insane.
Anyhow, I would not like to encounter these kind of problems at 100mph+ and heading to a chicane!!!
Will keep it simple with a manual 6 speed and use the good and tested heel and toe for now...at least until someone tells me 09 models have corrected all these issues!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I was going to post a witty one liner but after reading closely I realized that you didn't pay much attention to the car itself. The fact that you told us you did a 180 on a highway (not even sure if it's true or not) I have to place your post into the trash bin.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

did they just give you the keys, or was the CA in the car too?

what is the 180 for?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well, first of all, it was not a hight traffic highway and I was just playing a bit with the car...i has loads of power....dont really care if Ihyln (?) believes the 180 or not, but it is actually pretty easy to accomplish with all the power the car has. I did pay lots of attention to the car and truth is it is capable of doing things my Cayman S wont. and at the same time, it is not capable of giving you the same feedback a Porsche does. I am really looking forward to get used to the M3 on the street and on the track. I am sure one I get used to the different feel of the clutch on the manual and the different weight distribution , I will have lots of fun and who knows, might even do better lap times on the M3??
Sorry if you didn't like my post man!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

it's been proven by many people that the electronic limiter goes no higher 170 so i call bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
it's been proven by many people that the electronic limiter goes no higher 170 so i call bullshit.
when I say 180, I meant a turn NOT SPEED!!!! You know, 180 degrees????
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

oops my mistake
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

what dealership did you test drive this car at? I was in Austin last night..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

...you don't happen to work at the dealer right? hehe...I think it is the only dealer in Austin? McNeil drive...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
I was going to post a witty one liner but after reading closely I realized that you didn't pay much attention to the car itself. The fact that you told us you did a 180 on a highway (not even sure if it's true or not) I have to place your post into the trash bin.
I agree. Garbage thread.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
I agree. Garbage thread.
OK then...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
+1......this is a fictional made up post. the 180mph alone points out you never glanced at the instrument panel nor did you show any respect for a car that wasn't broken in. Do yourself a favor, go buy an evo or C63....

Joker, if you knew anything about these cars you would know that the governor would have kicked in way before you hit 180mph. This is why I would never buy a car of the lot of a dealer, because of jerk offs like you that have no respect for them or the customers who will be buying them.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
+1......this is a fictional made up post. the 180mph alone points out you never glanced at the instrument panel nor did you show any respect for a car that wasn't broken in. Do yourself a favor, go buy an evo or C63....

Joker, if you knew anything about these cars you would know that the governor would have kicked in way before you hit 180mph. This is why I would never buy a car of the lot of a dealer, because of jerk offs like you that have no respect for them or the customers who will be buying them.
---
Hey, at least read the whole threat...I meant a 180 degrees, as in a TURN, NOT SPEED...who's the jerk off now stupid? ...chill bro! You should be happy you have a car like that instead of wasting your time on a post that you obviously dont like!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

people have the reading comprehension of a 3 year old around here
Appreciate 0