BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

01-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Imaging Database

http://www.dxomark.com/ is a great, comparative, image quality database developed by DxO Labs., objectively comparing the performance of the leading camera bodies and lenses.

DxO is using the database in their incredible DxO Optics Pro software that does RAW conversion and optics and exposure correction automatically, based on the camera body and lens' measured faults. If you camera and lenses are included in their database you need to serious consider Optics Pro. The software removes noise, sharpens lens softness, corrects for vignetting, barrel distortion, etc., all specifically to the body, lens and settings used in each image. I thought that my Canon 5D MkII with 70-200 f4L IS and 24-105 f4L IS were astounding, but this software brings things to a whole new level.

The 5D MkII already has really low noise levels at ISO 3,200, but now I can push well beyond that without fear of noise ruining the image. The perspective correction for wide angle lenses is better than having another lens. It's like my 24-105 suddenly got a tilt feature at 24 mm. I can put buildings down in the corners or horizons near the top or bottom of the image with no fear.

Check it out.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Oh my God. If this does what I think it does to RAW files, I thank you!

Wait I totally misinterpreted that. Nvm...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
Oh my God. If this does what I think it does to RAW files, I thank you!

Wait I totally misinterpreted that. Nvm...
Maybe I shouldn't have talked about the database and software in the same post.

I love the database because it provides empirical comparative image quality data about most of the top cameras and many of their lenses. I love the software (developed from the data that they share in the database) because it takes my RAW and jpg images to the next level in detail and resolution while eliminating most distortion almost effortlessly. You can still Photoshop the images after DxO processing.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Where do you get the software?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
Where do you get the software?
www.dxo.com or, tah-dah Amazon. I used Amazon because the price was the same and I have used them for years. Arrived in two-days. At www.dxo.com you can download tonight.

I'm really impressed. It takes the images of a very good lens and camera and sharpens EVERY image significantly. It's making my 24-105 is look like the highest quality prime lens at every focal length. Amazing and it also adjusts light, contrast, dynamic range AND removes noise.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Cyruz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
can u still or do you still need lightroom to process the rest of the exposure and tone mapping?

my zenfolio photo gallery
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyruz View Post
can u still or do you still need lightroom to process the rest of the exposure and tone mapping?

Yes, you'll still need other tools like Lightroom, but you only need it to change individual elements. You can raise and lower the overall levels and balance, but you can't mask and change something like an underexposed face against a bright background. There is a bridge from DxO to Lightroom, so the workflow is seamless.

Dave