BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

01-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Anyone Deal With Habitual Liars?..

So, I have a friend who is a habitual liar. How can I get him to stop? This guy lies about EVERYTHING. No one trusts him anymore because he just lies and lies. He lies to get out of trouble at work and he lies to get people to like him. Its really sad. He would also lie when he is hating as well and tries to sabotage people when he likes something he can't have.

Examples:
-Before I got with my girl he hated on me and told her that I was already seeing someone which I wasn't. I had broken up with my ex-girl like 4 months prior. I ended up with her but I told her not to trust a word that comes out of his mouth.
-He lied to a girl and told her he was a cop so he can get into her pants (he's a security guard at the mall) and tried to ask me to borrow my badge so he could try and impress her. I said hell no as it was a crime to impersonate a cop.
-He lied to another girl and told her he drove a BMW and asked if he could borrow my car to take her out on a date. (He drives a beat up mustang) I also said no.

Some of you maybe wondering why I still hang out with this person. Well, he's not all bad as we virtually grew up together and he always had my back up until he started lying all the time. I honestly can't say when he started lying all the time. I had to really stop hanging with him so much because of this.

Anyone dealt with these kind of people before? If so, how did you handle it? I call him out on his lies all the time and he always denies lying and of course has absolutely no proof to back anything up...
      01-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Any "friend" that lies for any reason to their own friend(s):

I commend you for sticking around this guy for so long. I myself would've given up long ago.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

its tough, i have a friend who lies. but doesnt really lie to hurt other people like your friend has. he wouldn't try to sabbatoge a potential relationship with a girl. he just lies about stupid shit, like where he is, or where hes going. or why he was late. and how much money he makes, and so on...you get the idea!

Your situation is pretty bad, i would probably end that friendship sooner or later before he does something irreversable. You never know!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep

I hear you but his parents are friends with my parents and have been for years now. I want to have a heart to heart with him but I think he would get all pissed off and I was just thinking if it was really worth the effort in that he lies so much that no one will ever turn him straight...
      01-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
its tough, i have a friend who lies. but doesnt really lie to hurt other people like your friend has. he wouldn't try to sabbatoge a potential relationship with a girl. he just lies about stupid shit, like where he is, or where hes going. or why he was late. and how much money he makes, and so on...you get the idea!

Your situation is pretty bad, i would probably end that friendship sooner or later before he does something irreversable. You never know!
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep

I'm 30 and made something out of myself. He is 31 and has nothing. I think instead of giving him an ultimatum I should severely reduce how much time we hang out...
      01-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar335i View Post
I hear you but his parents are friends with my parents and have been for years now. I want to have a heart to heart with him but I think he would get all pissed off and I was just thinking if it was really worth the effort in that he lies so much that no one will ever turn him straight...
ya that makes it a little tougher, but still...you gotta do something because he won't ever change unless something BIG happens to make him change!
aka you de-friending him!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I used to have a friend who lied about EVERYTHING. Needless to say, he is no longer my friend.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
One of my roommates in College was a habitual liar. It was ridiculous to. Not just lie about where he was going and stuff.

1. Would lie about knowing people, like he was best friends with LeBron James cuz they both grew up in Akron. Or he was friends with the entire OSU team that won the 2002 National Championship because a couple of the key guys on that team went to the same HS and him. BTW, he is white, all the rest of these dudes are obviously black. I also never hung out with any of them even after me and several friends told them to get some of them to come over.

2. He had a try out with the Cleveland Cavs. He drove a murdered out Lambo Gallarado with spinners to the try out. He sucked at basketball, no pics ever provided.

3. He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates as a pitcher out of HS, but chose to go to College. He never started a game for our D3 baseball team, there was never any record of him being drafted.

4. We were driving home from OSU one night and he pulls out a gun from his car door pocket for no reason and sets it on his lap. I ask what he's doing and he replies, "its my new gun, check it out" and hands it to me. I inspect said weapon and find it to be a pellet gun. When i take the side of the handle off to expose the CO2 tube, he quickly replies, "oh, its a new gun. it just got released to be bought by civilians by the army"

5. He's current;y playing semi-pro baseball. He quit our college team after his sophmore year. He couldn't throw faster then 77mph.

Needless to say I could go on for days about his pathetic lying. My take is distance yourself. The lies will only get worse. They did for me.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
Buddy L
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2003 Z4

The Truth

In the service of a friend, step out on the plank and tell "him" the truth. He needs to hear it!

I'm 54, have had several careers, and it still surprises me how many people rely on the big lie. It is just too easy to follow the path of truth.

If he is really your friend, has character and a strong ethical potential, he will eventually thank you for the intervention. If not, he is a dangerous friend, and can do nothing but negatively impact your future. Aggressively try to right the ship, but be ready and willing to step over the side.

Good luck and God speed!

Check Six!

Appreciate 0