BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #45
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
I get the feeling with Merc and also with Audi that when their engineers set to work on a chassis they are designing it from scratch, whereas BMW and Porsche are building upon years of proven experience. The difference on first encounter isn't massive, but the depth of appeal over time would always make me choose a BMW over anything from MB or Audi. However the gap is closing and there is no room for BMW to rest on its laurels.
Probably MB spend too much money and resource to revive the dying Chrysler group. Daimler spent $36 billion to acquire Chrysler back in 1998, now Chrysler worth nearly nothing. Not until MB totally get rid of Chrysler, any potential MB buyers should seriously think about the research and development in MB over the last decade...

Source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-g...-chrysler.html
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #46
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

lol @ that article. hilarious. would any representative of mercedes actually be that stupid as to babble this inane stupidity on record... in a pre-eminent car magazine for that matter? it seems to me these guys are supposed to be public relations magnates that would be trained to conduct themselves better in interviews where PR and public image are on the line. clearly this clod didn't think twice about jeopardizing his company's public image with his pre-historic "we don't need to evolve" rhetoric.

good thinking... half-wit.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #47
lbernielu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, sp, Bilstein, H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by meruyailir View Post
So why would BMW put in a manual tranny that's subpar? Did they just put it in just for the sake of "having" a manual choice for the M5 after they were criticized left and right for only having the SMG?
This was covered in another post. Torque curve of the M5 motor is much more peaked than new M3. The 7 speed SMG was probably ideal to keep the motor "on the cam," but BMW did not have a 7 speed manuel. For the new M3 with an exceptionally flat torque curve from 3,500 up, my guess is a 6 speed manual should be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #48
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbernielu View Post
For the new M3 with an exceptionally flat torque curve from 3,500 up, my guess is a 6 speed manual should be just fine.
Good guess. It will be more than fine!

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #49
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
lol @ that article. hilarious. would any representative of mercedes actually be that stupid as to babble this inane stupidity on record... in a pre-eminent car magazine for that matter? it seems to me these guys are supposed to be public relations magnates that would be trained to conduct themselves better in interviews where PR and public image are on the line. clearly this clod didn't think twice about jeopardizing his company's public image with his pre-historic "we don't need to evolve" rhetoric.

good thinking... half-wit.
Umm....I don't think that was an actual interview, but a spoof written by T-bone.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 11:47 PM   #50
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post
Umm....I don't think that was an actual interview, but a spoof written by T-bone.

Shoot I got caught!
      03-29-2007, 06:00 AM   #51
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

haha. makes so much more sense now. but even the spoof pretty much encapsulates the mb engine design philosophy.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #52
MisterBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Interview from Car and Diver March 2007 edition:

C&D: Thanks Wolfgang von Hohlenbewohner, lead engine designer for MB, for joining us today. The first question, why does MB still continue to make Supercharged Engines?

Wolfgang: Ever since we created the Messerschmitt BF109 engine, we have held air superiority with the Supercharged engine and we thought we would continue to ensure our land panzers use the same technology and gain land superiority through power and weight and hood ornaments.

C&D: But your competitors have evolved have developed atmospheric engines that can deliver the same power out of a smaller displacement. Why hasn't MB done the same?

Wolfgang: When you have perfected a technology like fire, why change? I still use flint to start my fires. Just a little secret, you may see a new sparkplug technology in MB engines in the next decade based on the new Flintlock technology we have been developing.

C&D: Even companies like Honda can develop 100 hp / liter with technologies like VTEC. When will MB do the same?

Wolfgang: What? What is VTEC?

C&D: How do you rate your engines versus those from BMW?

Wolfgang: Hah.... The BMW radial engine used in the Fockewolfe 190 is a joke. The Messerschmitt is faster and more luxurious and we use more wood on the interior.

C&D: But it remains BMW can deliver 100 hp / liter consistently without forced induction. How will MB evolve and adapt?

Wolfgang: Nothing needs to evolve. We are perfect as a company and species. Only the weak evolve. We have perfected big displacement engines with our new pig iron foundry technologies.

C&D: Thank you for your time today

LMFAO
Appreciate 0