BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #67
NavM
M-Sport
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy ny View Post
Jeremy is still around. Im suppose to see him tomorrow. You can always call Gintani to get in touch with him. He is a good guy and im sure he will fix your situation.
I agree. I just can't get a hold of him. I ll call Gintani.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #68
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I believe both Dinan and ESS handle the SES properly. You might want to contact both of them to ask about their tunes. They do not disable the SES light, but instead disable the single input for CAT delete that would cause it. That still doesn't mean you'll pass readiness like that -- because I don't think you will.

I can also tell you that on my car -- fully catless with an ESS supercharged stroker motor, the SES light was fully functional at all times. At least three times I hooked up my Bavarian Technic scan tool and read the codes to see if any were present. Once I had failed O2 sensors, the code was stored for it. But there were never any other codes present any time I read it. Obviously my car was tuned very well because no codes were ever present.

But yes, I agree with you. Having a disabled SES system on an NA car is bad enough, but on a supercharged car it's a potential suicide. And think there are companies that put on superchargers and routinely disable the SES as part of the installation. That's a fricking scary thought. I'm glad people are waking up to this.
PG,

Do you know who does this? I cannot think of a reason to disable the CEL completely and I honestly do not think any of the current FI tuners on the market would do this.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #69
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
This is discussed in a sub-thread starting around post #25. DLSJ5 acknowledges that his SES (CEL) does not come on during engine start -- which according to the information presented by various technicians and tuners means the SES is completely disabled on his supercharger kit.

There seems to be some confusion whether or not this means the SES is completely disabled or not. Since Active is a tuner, maybe you can give your experience to confirm or deny whether or not an SES light inactive during engine start means the SES system is completely disabled.
Let me check on our shop car later today and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #70
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Guys, thanks to everyone for their input. As someone whose thinking about installing a dinan catless midpipe this is very helpful to me.

I was thinking of going with either the akra delete-r or ESS tune. Good to know ESS is doing it right. Does anyone know how the delete-r module disables the SES light? Is it done properly with the SES still working or does it totally disable it?

Secondly I see a few of you have the BT tool. Which model are you using? Will the enthusiast model enable me to check for readiness? If I go catless which codes should I expect to see when I scan the car?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #71
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, 911 GTS manual,F80,G80

Quote:
If you see no lights during start up, that means your CEL is completely disabled. Most people consider this dangerous to have disabled because you have no indication whatsoever when problems occur which might damage your engine. It's also a red flag to the dealer that you have a modified ECU.
PG, is there anyway that we can not getting CEL and not get caught by dealer for having cats removed? lol maybe that is too much to ask

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #72
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post
Guys, thanks to everyone for their input. As someone whose thinking about installing a dinan catless midpipe this is very helpful to me.

I was thinking of going with either the akra delete-r or ESS tune. Good to know ESS is doing it right. Does anyone know how the delete-r module disables the SES light? Is it done properly with the SES still working or does it totally disable it?

Secondly I see a few of you have the BT tool. Which model are you using? Will the enthusiast model enable me to check for readiness? If I go catless which codes should I expect to see when I scan the car?

Thanks in advance!
You can't read readiness with BT. I use a cheap harbor freight CAN tool that does it great.

You are in NJ, I would be delighted to see if ESS can pass readiness but I don't believe i've seen results yet. They say you can do it with the Akra system.

I am passing readiness with a primary delete tune from OE V3 Vanos tune and my cel light is fully enabled on start up.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #73
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT M3 View Post
You can't read readiness with BT. I use a cheap harbor freight CAN tool that does it great.

You are in NJ, I would be delighted to see if ESS can pass readiness but I don't believe i've seen results yet. They say you can do it with the Akra system.

I am passing readiness with a primary delete tune from OE V3 Vanos tune and my cel light is fully enabled on start up.
So I need another tool? I just ordered the BT too. Is this the scanner you have from HF:

http://www.harborfreight.com/obd-ii-...ner-99722.html

I don't have the ESS yet. I've been doing all this research to see if it's worth getting the catless midpipe and tune. Learned a lot in the past few days.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #74
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I need another tool? I just ordered the BT too. Is this the scanner you have from HF:

http://www.harborfreight.com/obd-ii-...ner-99722.html

I don't have the ESS yet. I've been doing all this research to see if it's worth getting the catless midpipe and tune. Learned a lot in the past few days.
You need the CAN one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd...ner-98614.html

BT reads/clears codes specific BMW codes per module/diagnostic and datalogs. It can't read readiness.

The primary delete + tune is the biggest jump in power I ever did. The rear exhaust/pulley/filter/scoops all the other things people do - do very little but make the car "feel better." X pipe + a custom tune transforms it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #75
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Quote:
You need the CAN one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd...ner-98614.html

BT reads/clears codes specific BMW codes per module/diagnostic and datalogs. It can't read readiness.

The primary delete + tune is the biggest jump in power I ever did. The rear exhaust/pulley/filter/scoops all the other things people do - do very little but make the car "feel better." X pipe + a custom tune transforms it.
Thanks BT! Of course it has to be more expensive Why can't someone come out with a tool for BMW like vag-com for audi/vw. Or does one already exist that I don't know about?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #76
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks BT! Of course it has to be more expensive Why can't someone come out with a tool for BMW like vag-com for audi/vw. Or does one already exist that I don't know about?
Bavarian tool + euro coding tool + can tool + missing some other features = vagcom! haha
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #77
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Quote:
Bavarian tool + euro coding tool + can tool + missing some other features = vagcom! haha
i just read on another bmw forum that the vag-com can scan for readiness on the m5. i'm going to try it tonight on my car. will report back.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #78
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Let me check on our shop car later today and let you know.
I'm interested in know that to. I'm running OE Tune catless and my SES won't come on when I turn the car on, so I really am interested in know if it will ever work or not.
      12-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #79
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Looks like vag-com checks readiness. Here is a reading I just took. Does this look right?

Friday,03,December,2010,13:21:32:51558
VCDS Release 10.6.2 (x64): Generic OBD2
Mode 01 - PID 01 : Readiness -- Address 7E8

Number of DTCs stored: 0 -- MIL Status: MIL OFF
Misfire monitoring: Passed
Fuel System: Passed
Comprehensive Components: Passed
Catalyst monitoring: Passed
Heated catalyst monitoring: Not installed.
Evaporative system monitoring: Passed
Secondary air system monitoring: Passed
A/C system refrigerant monitoring: Not installed.
Oxygen sensor monitoring: Passed
Oxygen sensor heater monitoring: Passed
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Passed
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #80
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks like vag-com checks readiness. Here is a reading I just took. Does this look right?

Friday,03,December,2010,13:21:32:51558
VCDS Release 10.6.2 (x64): Generic OBD2
Mode 01 - PID 01 : Readiness -- Address 7E8

Number of DTCs stored: 0 -- MIL Status: MIL OFF
Misfire monitoring: Passed
Fuel System: Passed
Comprehensive Components: Passed
Catalyst monitoring: Passed
Heated catalyst monitoring: Not installed.
Evaporative system monitoring: Passed
Secondary air system monitoring: Passed
A/C system refrigerant monitoring: Not installed.
Oxygen sensor monitoring: Passed
Oxygen sensor heater monitoring: Passed
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Passed
That's pretty neat I need to pick up a vag-com one of these days
Appreciate 0