BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
JHAKIMI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 6-Speed

New E93 M3 owner - observations and issues ?

Hey guys. Im reaching out regarding my 08 E93 M3. I purchased the car 5 months ago with 7k miles and have experienced a few things.

1) Limp mode - Upon a cold start in colder weather (under 60 degrees) after the vehicle has been sitting, the car will trigger the limp mode as show in the picture below. If I let the car idle on its own for around 45 seconds, its fine, but if I immideately put the car in gear and start driving, this gets triggered. I basically turn off the car, lock it, unlock and start again and everything is fine. Before I go to the stealer, I wanted to ask for any insight on this.

2) My car is a 6speed and I can rev past redline - 8600rpm is the farthest I have pushed it so far. The vehicle also doesnt seem to have a govenor on it as I have witnessed 170mph a few times late late at night on the way home from the airport on a small empty stretch of hwy I frequent. Would this be an indication of a software tune?

3) My car has a first aid kit under the front passanger seat. Is this a ED thing??? I cannot get much info on the previous owner.

4) Warranty is about to expire and I only have 11k miles. Anything that is a cronic issue on the E93. Ive been an E46 person all my life so the E93 and verts in general are new to me.

Other than what I describe, I cant tell you how much I love this vehicle. It is enjoyed by my 3 yr old daughter as well as she gets to ride in the back seat with a booster of course.

Thanks for all the help!

Regards,

Justin
Attached Images

04-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

still under warrenty.... take it to the dealership about the limp mode, asap.

It may be tuned based on what you said about the rev limiter. The dealership may give you 5417 about that
      04-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I think the stock limiter is either 174 or 184 MPH on the speedo (which reads fast at those speeds anyway, so actual speed will be lower), so that's not an issue. It's definitely over 170 though.

Limp mode is definitely a problem, get it to the dealer. 8600 RPM shouldn't be possible either but as you may have noticed the red zone seems to start around 8250, not 8400, so there might be an inaccuracy there too. Still, while these engines are built tough, I wouldn't sit on the limiter for extended periods. There's a reason that earlier part is yellow; consider that a reserve area.

You may indeed have a tune; if you contact a local tuner they may be willing to check your car for free and confirm?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
JHAKIMI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I think the stock limiter is either 174 or 184 MPH on the speedo (which reads fast at those speeds anyway, so actual speed will be lower), so that's not an issue. It's definitely over 170 though.

Limp mode is definitely a problem, get it to the dealer. 8600 RPM shouldn't be possible either but as you may have noticed the red zone seems to start around 8250, not 8400, so there might be an inaccuracy there to. Still, while these engines are built tough, I wouldn't sit on the limiter for extended periods. There's a reason that earlier part is yellow; consider that a reserve area.
I agree with everything you guys say. I have been traveling so the car just sits at the airport. I will finally go into the stealer this Fri and get all my maint done as well as some out of pocket items.

I dont drive the car that hard and pretty much just pushed it a few times when I had the opportunity to make sure the car runs as expected being that I purchased a low mileage almost 4 year old car.

I definitely hit 8600rpms a few times and I did not feel a rev limiter kick in. I did that only to validate my theory on software.......hence I wont push it past that value.

I plan on a few minor mods.....Intake and exhaust with a tune, so if I do have software, possibly Dinan, id be ok with it.
      04-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
boothguy
Piacere di Guidare
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3, 5-11 ED

If your first aid kit is a sort of boxy black plastic affair that's held in the frame underneath the passenger seat cushion (meaning it doesn't touch the floor at all), and the entire front hinges downward to open, then it's a Euro-spec first aid kit. Since they're almost impossible to "build" from the USA parts microfiche, the chances are extremely high that your car was originally an ED example. Another giveaway would be a folding emergency triangle mounted in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i thought stock limiter was 155? speedo will indicate higher but not actually going that fast. if truely seeing 170 plus and getting over 8600 its tuned or broken. if your on it the rpms will lag slightly so you are actually getting more than 8600 most likely. mine is tuned to 8600 but never seen it i usually shift arounnd 8000-8300 on the track.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
i thought stock limiter was 155? speedo will indicate higher but not actually going that fast. if truely seeing 170 plus and getting over 8600 its tuned or broken. if your on it the rpms will lag slightly so you are actually getting more than 8600 most likely. mine is tuned to 8600 but never seen it i usually shift arounnd 8000-8300 on the track.
I talked to a tuner who knows how to modify (not just remove) the top speed limiter, and he said that the stock limiter setting is either 174 or 184, can't remember which. I haven't tested that myself, but that's what I've been told. There's a thread on here asking that question and a bunch of people gave a bunch of different answers, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 - MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
I talked to a tuner who knows how to modify (not just remove) the top speed limiter, and he said that the stock limiter setting is either 174 or 184, can't remember which. I haven't tested that myself, but that's what I've been told. There's a thread on here asking that question and a bunch of people gave a bunch of different answers, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?
See this: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2012/M/M3Coupe/Features_and_Specs/M3CoupeSpecifications.aspx

Top speed limiter is at 155. I've experienced this on my E92.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

regarding limp mode, it sounds like a classic case of idle air control valve issue. Especially if you experience this and your engine speed during idle drops. Take this in ASAP to the dealer, before long, your car will not be able to keep an idle, and it'll be difficult to drive the car if at all....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
okay i wasnt really questioning it. just being nice. the stock car is limited to 155 as are all german sports sedans as a gentlemens agreement between the companies. people report all kinds of numbers on here but they are looking at the speedo not getting actual gps data. mine reads 140 plus at 130. i have also been delimited with an evolve tune.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0