BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Yokohama Advan Sports?

I recently bought a set of BC Forged wheels with Yokohama Advan sport tires. Im looking to possibly put different size tires on the front wheels. Im looking for either 265/30/19's or 275/30/19's. But I feel Im a bit confused about the Yokohama tires. Are there different "versions" of Advan Sports? Newer or older model? How do I know exactly what Advan Sport I have? Or am I confusing this with a different model of Yokohama tire?
      09-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Look at the side of your tire to determine what you have. There are also dot numbers that tell you the date that they were produced. Go to tire rack and/or Yokohama's web page to compare to your tires.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Look at the side of your tire to determine what you have. There are also dot numbers that tell you the date that they were produced. Go to tire rack and/or Yokohama's web page to compare to your tires.
Thank you Slicer. All I saw on the side of the tire was Yokohama Advan Sport. I guess I have to look a little better or check out the dot numbers. I think I was confused because I read something about Yokohama updating a model of a certain tire. So I wasn't sure if it was these tires I have. I want to look into getting 275/30/19s as you previously suggested. With that size you suggested camber. Was it -1.7 you suggested? Would that be for both 265/30 fronts or 275/30 fronts?
      09-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

There is/was a tire that was named Yokohama Advan Sport (they are being phased out in some sizes by a new model.)

You can see the Advan Sport on our site.

There is also a new Advan Sport V105. Those are new this year, and have not arrived in most sizes, so I would be surprised if that is what you had.

For those that are interested in the evolution of Yokohama's max performance tires:

The Yokohama AVS Sport was their top performance tire in the early 2000s. They had a fairly radical looking directional tread pattern, great dry grip, wet grip that was only decent, and very stiff sidewalls. The stiff construction gave excellent steering response at the cost of a stiff ride.

The Advan Sport replaced the AVS Sport. It was a much more civilized tire in terms of ride and noise. Wet traction was dramatically better. Dry traction did not advance relative to the competition. It was less of a hooligan tire, more of a 'grown-up' performance tire.

The AD08 came out around the same time, and that carried the flag for Yokohama in the hardcore enthusiast market.

The ADVAN Sport V105 has a noticeably stiffer sidewall than the older Advan Sport. It gets back to more of the personality of the old AVS Sport, but keeps the good wet traction of the Advan Sport. Dry traction is top tier. Wet traction is some of the best available. They actually edged out the PSS in wet track lap times in our test, and came within a few 100ths in the dry. You can view the full test results on our site.

I wish there had been more of the V105s available this summer, as I probably would have sold a good number of them. Something to keep on your radar in the future if you like a tire with a very firm sidewall and want something with grip similar to the PSS.
      09-30-2014, 05:28 AM   #5
woptang22
Major
Rep

Thank you for the explanation. Honestly Id like to keep the same tires I have on the car. So it looks as if your website doesn't have 265/30/19s or 275/30/19s in the Advan Sports. But I have a question. Would it be a bad idea to run Advan Sports in the rear and Advan Sport v105 in the front? Id rather use the same exact tires but if its not possible than I understand. Also is the treat pattern and tire look or the v105 pretty similar to the Advan Sports? I don't want to put anything on the car that looks totally different. Could you also PM me prices on these tires in the sizes listed above? Im just not sure if I want to go 265/30 or 275/30 fronts yet. Still deciding. THank you again. EDIT. Actually after looking on your website, it doesn't look like either the advan sport or advan sport v105 are available in 265/30/19 or 275/30/19. Unless Im missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
There is/was a tire that was named Yokohama Advan Sport (they are being phased out in some sizes by a new model.)

You can see the Advan Sport on our site.

There is also a new Advan Sport V105. Those are new this year, and have not arrived in most sizes, so I would be surprised if that is what you had.

For those that are interested in the evolution of Yokohama's max performance tires:

The Yokohama AVS Sport was their top performance tire in the early 2000s. They had a fairly radical looking directional tread pattern, great dry grip, wet grip that was only decent, and very stiff sidewalls. The stiff construction gave excellent steering response at the cost of a stiff ride.

The Advan Sport replaced the AVS Sport. It was a much more civilized tire in terms of ride and noise. Wet traction was dramatically better. Dry traction did not advance relative to the competition. It was less of a hooligan tire, more of a 'grown-up' performance tire.

The AD08 came out around the same time, and that carried the flag for Yokohama in the hardcore enthusiast market.

The ADVAN Sport V105 has a noticeably stiffer sidewall than the older Advan Sport. It gets back to more of the personality of the old AVS Sport, but keeps the good wet traction of the Advan Sport. Dry traction is top tier. Wet traction is some of the best available. They actually edged out the PSS in wet track lap times in our test, and came within a few 100ths in the dry. You can view the full test results on our site.

I wish there had been more of the V105s available this summer, as I probably would have sold a good number of them. Something to keep on your radar in the future if you like a tire with a very firm sidewall and want something with grip similar to the PSS.
      09-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Thank you for the explanation. Honestly Id like to keep the same tires I have on the car. So it looks as if your website doesn't have 265/30/19s or 275/30/19s in the Advan Sports. But I have a question. Would it be a bad idea to run Advan Sports in the rear and Advan Sport v105 in the front? Id rather use the same exact tires but if its not possible than I understand. Also is the treat pattern and tire look or the v105 pretty similar to the Advan Sports? I don't want to put anything on the car that looks totally different. Could you also PM me prices on these tires in the sizes listed above? Im just not sure if I want to go 265/30 or 275/30 fronts yet. Still deciding. THank you again. EDIT. Actually after looking on your website, it doesn't look like either the advan sport or advan sport v105 are available in 265/30/19 or 275/30/19. Unless Im missing something?
The Advan Sports are mostly gone. Some sizes that have OEM contracts are still around. A few sizes haven't been phased out yet. Some have some leftover stock. The 265/30R19 and 275/30R19 are gone.

Both of those sizes will be appearing in the V105 lineup, but how long that will take I'm not sure. I have part #'s, but not dates. Pricing is expected to be in the low 300s per tire.

I would not recommend mixing the Advan Sport and the V105. As I alluded to in my history of the line, the V105 has a noticeably stiffer sidewall and more grip. So your handling feel and balance would be off when mixing.

So if you can't scrounge up the old Advan Sport anywhere, I'd aim to replace all 4 at once. Mixing and matching is likely to make your handling worse.
      09-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
woptang22
Major
Rep

Thank you for your help. The tires currently on the car are like new but just the incorrect size. Fronts are 19x10 et20 with 255/30/19. The tire is stretched and profile is very low. I don't like the look. The rears are 19x11 et25 with 295/30/19s. The previous owner put these size tires and Im not sure why. Id rather not but 4 new tires being these are all literally like new. But at some point Im going to need to buy them. What would you suggestion be for front size tires with 19x10 et 20 on swift spec R springs? These 255/30s don't rub at all. What would my best bet be for front sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
The Advan Sports are mostly gone. Some sizes that have OEM contracts are still around. A few sizes haven't been phased out yet. Some have some leftover stock. The 265/30R19 and 275/30R19 are gone.

Both of those sizes will be appearing in the V105 lineup, but how long that will take I'm not sure. I have part #'s, but not dates. Pricing is expected to be in the low 300s per tire.

I would not recommend mixing the Advan Sport and the V105. As I alluded to in my history of the line, the V105 has a noticeably stiffer sidewall and more grip. So your handling feel and balance would be off when mixing.

So if you can't scrounge up the old Advan Sport anywhere, I'd aim to replace all 4 at once. Mixing and matching is likely to make your handling worse.
      10-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Thank you for your help. The tires currently on the car are like new but just the incorrect size. Fronts are 19x10 et20 with 255/30/19. The tire is stretched and profile is very low. I don't like the look. The rears are 19x11 et25 with 295/30/19s. The previous owner put these size tires and Im not sure why. Id rather not but 4 new tires being these are all literally like new. But at some point Im going to need to buy them. What would you suggestion be for front size tires with 19x10 et 20 on swift spec R springs? These 255/30s don't rub at all. What would my best bet be for front sizes?
265/30R19 F and 295/30R19 R is a fairly popular combination. 275/30R19 will look more square on the wheel (10" is max recommended width for 265/30R19) but may be challenging to fit without rubbing. It is possible that the previous owner stretched the front tires to avoid rubbing issues the way the car sits, so be prepared to do a little bit of fine tuning if you want to go larger without any rubbing.