BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

03-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Review: Auto Finesse ObliTARate

Gents,

I love entrepreneurs and I love new small business growth in America, so when MartinD launched his new venture, I had to check it out. : ) Among other things, I picked some ObliTARate and finally got a chance to try it out this evening. I'm posting this review before I go out and get stupid and forget the experience : P I must say, this is one of my favorite, new products. It reminds me of an old Meguiar's product called "Medallion Paint Cleaner" which is no longer sold due to VOC standards. My previous product for tar removal was Meguiar's Body Solvent, but this will now be taking its place : )

My new X5 had about 4k miles on it and 3 months of tar. The car had already been washed and dried. My plan was to strip most of the wax using the body solvent and, hopefully, all of the tar. I'm prepping it to put on Meg's #21 2.0 synthetic sealant while also looking for defects covered up by the BMW detailer (found some ; ) ). I would treat the passenger door with Meg's and the driver door with ObliTARate.

The pictures aren't the best but, what you will hopefully see is quite a few specs of tar on the Meg's door (probably a dozen), while NONE on the ObliTARate side. I should also add that removing the tar with ObliTARate took about 30 seconds, vs 2-3 mins on the Meg's side. The effort required is far less which I think appeals to enthusiasts and pros alike. The Meg's really has to set up and penetrate, while the Auto Finesse product works immediately.

Meg's Body Solvent results:

Auto Finesse ObliTARate:

Now to be fair, the Auto Finesse product is specialized and MUCH stronger than the Meguiar's product. Both can be applied directly, or with a microfiber applicator. I used the direct method on really bad spots, and the applicator for overall coverage. They were both removed with a soft microfiber towel and left no scratches, except those hidden by the previous wax/sealant. The Body Solvent will still be my go-to product to strip sealants and waxes and is great at that function. It is also much easier on the lungs and smells like candy vs. solvent with the Auto Finesse; although neither should be used without solid ventilation!

So in conclusion, I would highly recommend this product for spot or complete tar removal. The only negative is the smell in my opinion which actually might be a positive because it forces you to ensure proper ventilation.

Any questions, please ask!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Fantastic, thanks Chris

I need to send you a bottle of Revive to put on the trim! What are you using now for it?

-Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Fantastic, thanks Chris

I need to send you a bottle of Revive to put on the trim! What are you using now for it?

-Martin
Meg's #40 Vinyl and Rubber, but I have not treated it. This is the work of the BMW detailer. He got wax on it in a couple of places and it is IN there. I need it this week though; getting her dressed up for iND : )
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Ok I will send some up your way to test out...
Appreciate 0