BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #133
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Everyone who has bought a $1000 tune would like to believe the tune is adding power and that any gains are not just the normal variation between dyno runs. After all, the tuners claim their tunes add 10-15 rwhp and they have presumably spent lots of time dynoing their tunes. I would like to think they would have observed what you report and would be honest about their claims.

But you have a lot of experience modding, have talked to a lot of tuner, have spent more time than most of us on dynos, and are not trying to sell anything, so your comment is interesting. My view is that these 12.0:1 compression cars are really heat and knock sensitive and tend to "lie down" when they get hot, making less power. Perhaps newer software, whether factory or aftermarket, that improves the knock control is helping the power be more consistent.

With the proceed and meth kit, i got really close to the 400whp and i dont worry about being heat soaked
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #134
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
With the proceed and meth kit, i got really close to the 400whp and i dont worry about being heat soaked
Ya but you worry about an engine fire. You should really read over on the 335 boards about the multiple engine fires that have come from systems like the one with proceed that goes into the engine bay. Pictures of destroyed engine bays after a fire. I was about to buy this as well but started reading on it and no way it is worth it.

Mixing some race gas to 95 octane, a regular tune ess/evolve, high flow cats and a drop in and you get there anyway with no risk of a fire
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #135
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I use the Procede with meth, but mounted the pump and tank in the trunk. I don't have any concerns about an engine fire.

I did initially install the system using the washer fluid tank and mount the pump in the engine compartment, but I did not like the washer tank's proximity to the hot headers, the chance of a flammable splash during refilling, using the expensive and highly concentrated meth to clean the windshield, the way the pump hung in the PS reservoir hanger, or the way the PS reservoir dangled in its new location.

I bought my first water/meth kit in 2001 and have never had an engine fire. While I am using a flammable mixture of 70/30 meth/water on the E90M3, you can reduce the mixture to 50/50 and it will not be flammable.

I don't think the mixture of race gas to get your pump fuel to 95 octane will yield the same octane as the meth does when it is flowing. The meth is also the cheaper form of octane enhancer. Even if I used a gallon of pure meth per tank of fuel (I would roughly estimate that I go through a gallon of diluted 70/30 meth/water every three tanks), the cost would be $7 versus the $35 for the five gallons of race gas needed to add to 10 gallons of 91 or 93 to get the tank to 95 octane.

The number of cars with bolt on mods and tunes breaking 400 rwhp SAE on a Dynojet is still just a handful. In contrast, there are many making 380-390 rwhp. Higher octane, whether from meth or race gas, will certainly help a little.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #136
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I kind of very quickly skimmed through the last several pages.

Not sure if this was brought up, but I noticed that the few dynos of E92 M3s that I've seen hitting near the 400whp benchmark all seem to be cars seeing A LOT of track time.

kaiv, joe@trinityautosport, and LateBraking are three examples of cars that put down HUGE power on a DynoJet. From what I see on the forums at least, their cars spend a lot of time at the track.

I just thought it was an interesting trend I saw among the three. Although probably way too small of a sample size to determine anything...
Appreciate 0