BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Closed Thread

04-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #177
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy_M View Post
Show me a post from VF,AA,OR and Evolve where they attack. They defend, and do it well since its easy to dispel false claims, but never attack
Quote:
I have a question, there seems to be a trend going on here that I would like answered..
How/why is it that when a specific company is questioned, and backed into a corner, the company rep isn't answer, but all these people with said company products in their sigs are, and seem to have an unusual amount of "information" about what that company does internally to different files?

It just seems very odd

*as for on the attack, that would be the first company to bring up their competition and not promote their products on their own merits, so my question still stands
Finally, someone gets it.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #178
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #179
Khyber
Rep
Drives: 2007 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
The answer to the question is out there, it's not some great unanswered myth. Maybe this will help you and Mike, I doubt it, but maybe, lol.

http://www.esstuning.com/products/S8...-Software.html

Product Description
Optimized SMG transmission software. Increases shift firmness in S4/5/6 and increases launch control RPM to 4100RPM on US spec M5/M6's.

Maybe something has changed, but before you got into the supercharger business, they charged more than $95 for a stock file, they didn't create.
Before the BMW EURO SMG Flash for U.S Spec became known to the community, that ESS option was the only option. When its means "Optimized" I assumed it meant "Optimized" to U.S Spec software not the Euro software. I have driven both and they were 100% the same. Maybe they are Optimized but ESS keeps beating the bush around this question. Then there vender who is selling the E-Flash says its the same.

Who knows! Maybe it is Optimized because it doesn't say you can adjust the launch rpm like with BMW software.

Is it Optimized for Euro software as well?

I have dealt with both ESS and Evolve, both are awesome companies with a lot of passion with there products. There customer service for both are bar none. I am still reviewing my Evolve tune on my car but thus far its miles ahead of the rest. In the end your modding for yourself not anyone else. If your happy than nothing more should matter.

2007 E60 M5 (Satans Rocket Sled)
Targa Trophy Italian Car Festival May 19 / Gumball 3000 NY-LA 2012

Last edited by Khyber; 04-02-2012 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #180
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
From the link you posted:

Optimized SMG transmission software. Increases shift firmness in S4/5/6 and increases launch control RPM to 4100RPM on US spec M5/M6's.

When you order this product, you will receive information on how to remove your transmission control unit for shipment to a ESS reprogramming center near you.
Application intended for: BMW E60 E61 E63 E64 M5 M6 with SMG

That's GREAT! It does exactly what the factory SMG Euro software does in comparison to the US versions. I'd rather pay $100-300 for the factory Euro software, than $700 for ESS's rendition of it. Each to his own. And I am not convinced the software is different from the Euro spec versions just because they say it is.

This thread should stay on the topic of cat readiness regardless.

Our SMG software is a modified version of factory Euro spec. Our S 4/5 /6 modes are more agressive than stock Euro spec. If you have any other questions feel free to PM or email me. If your objective is to create drama and attract attention to yourself I most likely wont respond
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #181
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I have a question, there seems to be a trend going on here that I would like answered..
How/why is it that when a specific company is questioned, and backed into a corner, the company rep isn't answer, but all these people with said company products in their sigs are, and seem to have an unusual amount of "information" about what that company does internally to different files?

It just seems very odd

*as for on the attack, that would be the first company to bring up their competition and not promote their products on their own merits, so my question still stands
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #182
Verify
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

So I'm not crazy? At first I thought it was just savvy users posted information, and I was entertained, and then I realized this isn't public information, if it were, they wouldn't have to ask.. so it just seemed really, really odd
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #183
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Our SMG software is a modified version of factory Euro spec. Our S 4/5 /6 modes are more agressive than stock Euro spec. If you have any other questions feel free to PM or email me. If your objective is to create drama and attract attention to yourself I most likely wont respond
Thanks Roman,

I am not trying to attract attention to myself or create drama for you. I simply had a question for you and I thank you for finally responding to it. Many of the other questions remain unanswered.

Good luck and I hope next time you think twice before attacking people, especially people such as Sal and myself that are quiet comfortable, familiar, and proficient with the MSS60 engine management system.

Just keep in mind that your actions prompted the type of response that you received.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #184
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
So I'm not crazy? At first I thought it was just savvy users posted information, and I was entertained, and then I realized this isn't public information, if it were, they wouldn't have to ask.. so it just seemed really, really odd
Seems to me like Mike, Sal and Tom come on here and answer the questions while ESS and their followers just wanna throw mud.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #185
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Gets what exactly? In case you haven't noticed he has hardly demonstrated much objectivity, nearly every post is about how Evolve Rocks and ESS is just a vendor that attacks, lol. The signature analogy is silly, if anything that would apply to the ESS detractors more so. I'm not saying Evolve doesn't rock, cleary they have some happy customers as do you, but where did ESS bash you in this thread, now that you sell Evolve you feel the need to tag team with Mike and take on Roman? There's a a few questions I could ask you too, but I'd probably do so in a more mature, civil enviroment not a thread filled with Drama.

What are your thoughts on this? Mike is accusing Roman of being misleading, or maybe a liar, when it comes to the rear 02's and their function, one could easily apply that to you as well, because you said the exact same thing Roman did in this thread.

Quote:
Tampering with emissions equipment is serious business in CA.

Rear O2s only monitor secondary cats in compliance with OBDII requirements, they have no effect on tuning and/or performance.
Seems like you and Roman are on the same page when it comes to the rear 02's function and the legality of tampering with emissions, except Mike is a little bit subjective with who he claims is being misleading?
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH

Last edited by DLSJ5; 04-02-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #186
Verify
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Gets what exactly? In case you haven't noticed he has hardly demonstrated much objectivity, nearly every post is about how Evolve Rocks and ESS is just a vendor that attacks, lol. The signature analogy is silly, if anything that would apply to the ESS detractors more so. I'm not saying Evolve doesn't rock, cleary they have some happy customers as do you, but where did ESS bash you in this thread, now that you sell Evolve you feel the need to tag team with Mike and take on Roman? There's a a few questions I could ask you too, but I'd probably do so in a more mature, civil enviroment not a thread filled with Drama.

What are your thoughts on this? Mike is accusing Roman of being misleading, or maybe a liar, when it comes to the rear 02's and their function, one could easily apply that to you as well, because you said the exact same thing Roman did in this thread.

Seems like you and Roman are on the same page when it comes to the rear 02's function and the legality of tampering with emissions, except Mike is a little bit subjective with who he claims is being misleading?
I would like to know.how you know so much about what that company does on a tune if you don't work their, for them, or with them?
What do you gain by answering the questions posed to a company you don't work for?
And as for the evolve rocks comments, yes they do, as many will agree and I think none will argue against, but that's a bit hypocritical as you yourself are in every ess thread with the same complimentary comments, are you not? So why is it an issue that I do? Kind of silly right.. you can do it but I can't?

Last edited by Verify; 04-02-2012 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #187
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Interested to hear this answer.

We've been offering this @ $95 (literally a 15 min flash on my end) and was recently told by M5board members are being charged a whopping $699.
Tom, I don't think you're in a great position to demand other people answering questions when you're the king of refusing to answer question. Here's a reminder:
* Why do you do a 10-minute cool-down on your dyno before you make your final power run?
* Why do you post dyno results in STD instead of the more common SAE?
* Why are you calling your record setting (and now record broken) 60-130 runs a VF620 with standard boost when Nick @ VF says it's a VF700 with increased boost?
* Why did you post the 23whp lower baseline on Orange Fever's car when that wasn't the real baseline for the car before supercharging?

Quote:
Agreed

Last edited by IMG; 04-02-2012 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #188
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #189
Verify
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Tom, I don't think you're in a great position to demand other people answering questions when you're the king of refusing to answer question. Here's a reminder:
* Why do you do a 10-minute cool-down on your dyno before you make your final power run?
* Why are you calling your record setting (and now record broken) 60-130 runs a VF620 with standard boost when Nick @ VF says it's a VF700 with increased boost?
* Why did you post the 23whp lower baseline on Orange Fever's car when that wasn't the real baseline for the car before supercharging?

Agreed?
I think it should be a standing rule, if you want to call someone out, you have to list where the information came from, and how you got it, agreed? That would eliminate 90% of the false accusations, as we see here
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #190
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would like to know.how you know so much about what that company does on a tune if you don't work their, for them, or with them?
What do you gain by answering the questions posed to a company you don't work for?
What tune are you talking about? The SMG flash? Well it's public info, and ESS has posted before that it's a modified euro spec file on a public forum, that is the ONLY reason I brought it up, either it is or isn't, that has nothing to do with any of the other back and forth between these vendors, that a few here are using to outright judge one or the other, or their customers. I also posted a public link about the SMG software. I had no idea, until Roman just posted what other functions it may or may not have.

This new tactic you are now using is silly, "you work for them" no I don't work for them at all.

Quote:
And as for the evolve rocks comments, yes they do, as many will agree and I think none will argue against, but that's a bit hypocritical as you yourself are in every ess thread with the same complimentary comments, are you not? So why is it an issue that I do? Kind of silly right.. you can do it but I can't?
I would be a hypocrite if what I thought you said about Evolve was uncalled for. I have no problem with you believing that Evolve rocks, but from the get go you've hardly been impartial, lol, that was my point. I never took sides here, I didn't just say ESS rocks, I said let the products speak for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #191
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it should be a standing rule, if you want to call someone out, you have to list where the information came from, and how you got it, agreed? That would eliminate 90% of the false accusations, as we see here
I agree,but when i asked these questions in the past based on facts, i got NO answer and my posts got deleted.
So for someone to demand answers and keeps attacking and asking the same questions over and over,that person should start giving some answers at this point.
What do you think ? does that make sense to you ?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #192
Verify
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What tune are you talking about? The SMG flash? Well it's public info, and ESS has posted before that it's a modified euro spec file on a public forum, that is the ONLY reason I brought it up, either it is or isn't, that has nothing to do with any of the other back and forth between these vendors, that a few here are using to outright judge one or the other, or their customers. I also posted a public link about the SMG software. I had no idea, until Roman just posted what other functions it may or may not have.

This new tactic you are now using is silly, "you work for them" no I don't work for them at all.

I would be a hypocrite if what I thought you said about Evolve was uncalled for. I have no problem with you believing that Evolve rocks, but from the get go you've hardly been impartial, lol, that was my point. I never took sides here, I didn't just say ESS rocks, I said let the products speak for themselves.
products speak for themselves, that's what I've been saying all along. But a product is made by a company, and I for one choose a company that can tell me how good the product is because of what the product can do, not why its better than xyz's product.

I never claimed you work for them, exactly the opposite. I asked what you gain by posting for a company, and saying in a factual manner that you know what they changed, when you don't, unless you do know, inside information, or you were given what to say. I was just curious though.

It's like watching WWE in here with the amount tagging in/out that's goin on though.

Once again, I commend Evolve for only chiming in with factual information, backed up by documented data
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #193
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Gets what exactly? In case you haven't noticed he has hardly demonstrated much objectivity, nearly every post is about how Evolve Rocks and ESS is just a vendor that attacks, lol. I'm not saying Evovle doesn't rock, but where did ESS bash you in this thread, now that you sell Evolve you feel the need to tag team with Mike and take on Roman? There's a a few questions I could ask you too, but I'd probably do so in a more mature, civil enviroment not a thread filled with Drama.

My beef is not with Roman, I've spoken with him a handful of times and never thought any ill thoughts until this specific thread appeared. However, its well known a select group of ESS-equipped forum members which will do just about anything to put down any competitor's kit, whether it be VF, G-Power, Gintani or AA, at any given opportunity, and at any cost.

ESS was very smart in not getting directly involved......in the past.

The silver lining in this thread? People are aware of it and it's going to be a thing of the past as more and more non-ESS kits keep hitting the streets. This thread has probably cost more sales than gained.

I'm simply tired of the childish games seen in the past. Let the kits (and tunes) promote themselves on their own merit/accomplishments, the internet-bullying, rumor-mill and bulls**t needs to stop now.

Business does not have result in dirty business. C'mon Drew, I know you're better than this, please don't get sucked into the drama.

Quote:
Answers to your questions:

1. This is in reference to MFest BBQ last year (in which neither IMG or PencilGeek were present), cool-downs were to keep numbers consistent, in oil temps/AIT. This is why we had a BT tool connected to select vehicles for monitoring, which you have misinterpreted (and passed around) as "stealing an ESS tune", adding to the overflowing rumor mill. Its not true, would not risk our reputation doing so, nor do I think anyone ballsy enough to do it in front of 60 people.

I don't even mind that a VT1-535 kit made 550whp that night, while 3 other VT1-535 cars made 475whp. To each their own and congrats to the owners.

2. We have recently started posting in both STD and SAE and will continue to do so in the future. Not a problem.

3. Not sure where you got this one. There is no such thing as a VF700, unless you are misinterpreting the Smoking Tire interview. All dynos have been posted in the past and I've never said a bad word about the record being beaten.

However, the record still stands in the US. I've never shoved it in anyone's face or promoted it tirelessly. Actually, we barely even talked about it after it was all said and done.

4. Both numbers are in there on Orange Fever's M3, it's plain to everyone to see. If I was intentionally misleading people - I'd not have even mentioned the DME update in the first place.

Extra: We have zero interest in participating in your dyno database. Please stop asking for other forum member's runfiles.

You'll never find a bad comment about ESS from me. I've never made one.

FYI: It's painfully obvious when you are posting by proxy for PencilGeek.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #194
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
OK, then let's olive branch with this and help me understand it.

Tom post:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...09&postcount=1

Nick video:

Nick calls it a VF700 and says it produced 572whp.

It's a legit question. Is this the same car or just a coincidence that they look the same and have the same output?
That's my M3 in the Smoking Tire video as well as used in the 60-130 runs. We've posted specifications and even posted the same dyno chart in multiple threads:

Vehicle: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe (eas Project M3)
Transmission: DCT
Exhaust: Akrapovic Evolution, 100cpsi cats
Fuel: 100 Octane

There's only 1 VF Engineering kit on the market at this time, which is the VF620. A non-intercooled (low boost) kit will be released shortly.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #195
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
My beef is not with Roman, I've spoken with him a handful of times and never thought any ill thoughts until this specific thread appeared. However, its well known a select group of ESS-equipped forum members which will do just about anything to put down any competitor's kit, whether it be VF, G-Power, Gintani or AA, at any given opportunity, and at any cost.

ESS was very smart in not getting directly involved......in the past.

The silver lining in this thread? People are aware of it and it's going to be a thing of the past as more and more non-ESS kits keep hitting the streets. This thread has probably cost more sales than gained.

I'm simply tired of the childish games seen in the past. Let the kits (and tunes) promote themselves on their own merit/accomplishments, the internet-bullying, rumor-mill and bulls**t needs to stop now.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #196
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Extra: We have zero interest in participating in your dyno database. Please stop asking for other forum member's runfiles.
Tom correct me if I'm wrong but don't these runfiles belong to your customers who are free to do whatever they want with them?
I do help PG with the Dyno Database to help every member getting the info they need and it's all in one place and well organized.
I also talk to PG all the time and learned a lot from him but that doesn't mean that i proxy post for him as you mentioned to the Mod. Now it's pretty obvious that it was you that reported me . No sweat on my end !
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #197
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
products speak for themselves, that's what I've been saying all along. But a product is made by a company, and I for one choose a company that can tell me how good the product is because of what the product can do, not why its better than xyz's product.
Agreed, but I'm not silly or naive enough to read one thread where vendors are taking shots at each other, pick a side and then make a final judgement about a company or look at them negatively if they assert that their product is better than others, I mean what car company doesn't claim such things about their competition?

Quote:
I never claimed you work for them, exactly the opposite. I asked what you gain by posting for a company, and saying in a factual manner that you know what they changed, when you don't, unless you do know, inside information, or you were given what to say. I was just curious though.
Listen, stop it, it appears you like WWE and playing games as well, ESS says it's modified Euro software, Mike I believe thinks it's stock euro spec, I never said I knew specifically what they changed, in fact I said I didn't until Roman posted. I'm not an insider with regards to SMG software, but I yes I do believe that ESS is marketing their software truthfully.

Last edited by DLSJ5; 04-03-2012 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #198
Khyber
Rep
Drives: 2007 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Thanks for the reply Roman!

Finally cleared that up. Though some will ask for more proof. I guess we will have to take your and ESS's word on that.

2007 E60 M5 (Satans Rocket Sled)
Targa Trophy Italian Car Festival May 19 / Gumball 3000 NY-LA 2012

Last edited by Khyber; 04-03-2012 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread