BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Adjusting EDC and DCT Drivelogic Settings

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have my owner's manual in front of me and I can't find the answer. When I start my car up, my default setting for my Drivelogic is D2. I want to change that so it's D4 or D5 when I start the car. Same thing for EDC. My default setting is comfort and I want to have one light illuminated, the normal setting. How do I make these settings without touching my M drive settings?

I appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have my owner's manual in front of me and I can't find the answer. When I start my car up, my default setting for my Drivelogic is D2. I want to change that so it's D4 or D5 when I start the car. Same thing for EDC. My default setting is comfort and I want to have one light illuminated, the normal setting. How do I make these settings without touching my M drive settings?

I appreciate the help!
For drivelogic D4 or D5, set it this way when the car is on...Then, shut it off and voila, it will automatically remember the last D setting...my car always goes to D4 when i put it in D mode...no M button pressed.

As for EDC, go to the M key settings menu and set it there in idrive..but remember to use the same key otherwise it may get changed around
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
For drivelogic D4 or D5, set it this way when the car is on...Then, shut it off and voila, it will automatically remember the last D setting...my car always goes to D4 when i put it in D mode...no M button pressed.

As for EDC, go to the M key settings menu and set it there in idrive..but remember to use the same key otherwise it may get changed around
As for the D4 setting, on my way home from work I stopped to get a bite to eat. Before I shut the car off, I had been driving in D4. This was after the fact that when I started the car when I left work, it was in the default D2. When I went to start the car after eating, it went back to D2. It always does this. What am I doing wrong? It's like the car is not remembering the last D setting, unless I'm doing something wrong... It's not like this is a huge deal, I just hate D1-D3, they feel like crap. And for the last 17k miles of driving this car, I've had to manually adjust the D settings everytime. It's getting old.

I'll try that EDC method. I don't want to mess with my M drive setting though. I have my M drive set-up a particular way.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

Quote:
As for the D4 setting, on my way home from work I stopped to get a bite to eat. Before I shut the car off, I had been driving in D4. This was after the fact that when I started the car when I left work, it was in the default D2. When I went to start the car after eating, it went back to D2. It always does this. What am I doing wrong? It's like the car is not remembering the last D setting, unless I'm doing something wrong... It's not like this is a huge deal, I just hate D1-D3, they feel like crap. And for the last 17k miles of driving this car, I've had to manually adjust the D settings everytime. It's getting old.

I'll try that EDC method. I don't want to mess with my M drive setting though. I have my M drive set-up a particular way.
Setting the "M key" does not effect your "M drive" settings.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

There is no way to have a default drivelogic setting, as far as I'm aware. I'm lucky that my car starts in S3 all the time (which is what I like to use). I don't know why BMW left that out of the M key settings menu.

As for EDC, M-key is not the same as your M-drive. M drive settings refer to the M button on your steering weheel. M key refers to the performance settings that are initiated when you start the car with THAT specific key. Give it a try
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank everyone. I will try it. I appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 2010

drivelogic setting is dictated by the software, sorry if i'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
Vrrooom3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Where is the M key settings on iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
There is no way to have a default drivelogic setting, as far as I'm aware.
Strictly speaking that's true, however recall that while the car will always start in S3, it also remembers the last D mode setting you were using. So, you'll start in S3 but when you switch over to D mode, it should be in the last setting (1 through 5) that you left it in.

According to the OP, his car is not behaving like this, and that's definitely not correct behavior. I'ver never heard of anyone else with this issue, so I'd be curious to hear more from him about this.

In addition, remember, because of the new "feature" whereby the car won't go to S mode from reverse unless you are firm on the brake pedal, in fact the car actually appears to default to D mode (at your saved setting) if you avoid using the brake when going from D to forward gear. So, for the OP, this would yield exactly the behavior he wants, if only he could get it to remember D4 like it is supposed to (like everyone else with an M3 in North America is able to).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrrooom3 View Post
Where is the M key settings on iDrive?
Once in the M Drive window, move the iDrive knob to the right twice. First brings you to the Split Screen details menu, second brings up the M Key window. There you set the Power and EDC default settings...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Strictly speaking that's true, however recall that while the car will always start in S3, it also remembers the last D mode setting you were using. So, you'll start in S3 but when you switch over to D mode, it should be in the last setting (1 through 5) that you left it in.

According to the OP, his car is not behaving like this, and that's definitely not correct behavior. I'ver never heard of anyone else with this issue, so I'd be curious to hear more from him about this.

In addition, remember, because of the new "feature" whereby the car won't go to S mode from reverse unless you are firm on the brake pedal, in fact the car actually appears to default to D mode (at your saved setting) if you avoid using the brake when going from D to forward gear. So, for the OP, this would yield exactly the behavior he wants, if only he could get it to remember D4 like it is supposed to (like everyone else with an M3 in North America is able to).
This is good information - I had no idea it saved your D mode setting. Thanks

As an aside, I think I've used D maybe twice in the past two years . Automatic mode (like the old SMG trans) is utterly rubbish in this car, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

In Europe we default to D2, where as in USA it should default to S3.

My manual setting will always stay the same as when I left the car, but D mode always goes back to D2
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
In Europe we default to D2, where as in USA it should default to S3.

My manual setting will always stay the same as when I left the car, but D mode always goes back to D2
Right

My car never starts up in S3. My car always starts up in D2.
After talking to a service technician this morning at the dealership, I found out that the default settings of Drivelogic and EDC can not be changed the way I want to change them.

For me, I enjoy D4 with the traction control enabled and EDC in normal setting i.e. one light illuminated (default setting on EDC for me is comfort i.e. "no lights" illuminated. My M drive settings are a totally different ball game, that's my race setting.

So I'm going to just have to stick to manually changing the EDC and DCT setting everytime I drive off in the car. Little frustrating considering how thick the owner's manual is and how many capabilities this car has with respect to electronics. Oh well, whatya gonna do though that's life.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Right

My car never starts up in S3. My car always starts up in D2.
Ok, well I assumed you lived in the US, since it says Orange County, CA for your location under your name.

It sounds like you actually live in Europe or some other country and have a non-North American M3. If so, that explains why yours will not remember the D mode setting (and always starts in D2).

Also, you can in fact change the default EDC setting as explained in this thread above. What the dealership told you is incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Also, you can in fact change the default EDC setting as explained in this thread above. What the dealership told you is incorrect.
Yeap, it worked. I took the info from everyone above and I was able to change my EDC setting using that method. It was just a little confusing for me as one has to navigate past the M drive setting and as you keep scrolling to the right then one is able to see the M key window. Right on, I'm all dialed in with my EDC now. Okay, back to work. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Once in the M Drive window, move the iDrive knob to the right twice. First brings you to the Split Screen details menu, second brings up the M Key window. There you set the Power and EDC default settings...
Wow. You rock! (I've been trying to figure this out for days)

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
Wow. You rock! (I've been trying to figure this out for days)

Or on the M Drive screen just hit the "Option" key on your iDrive controller.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #18
CheetoNYC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Thanks!! learned something new.
Appreciate 0