BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-16-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
Post BMW Reputation in China - for the Arrogant and the Rash

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I enjoyed it...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/in-chi...ereotypes.html

In China, Car Brands Evoke an Unexpected Set of Stereotypes

Car companies are grappling with an alternate universe of brand associations in China, where Buicks are status symbols and a Mercedes-Benz is the domain of the retiree.

BEIJING — Cars in the United States tend to come fully equipped with stereotypes. Ford Crown Victoria: law enforcement professional. Toyota Prius: upscale yuppie environmentalist. Hummer: gas-guzzling egotist.

In China, where the market for imported passenger cars dates back only about three decades, an entirely alternate set of stereotypes is taking root — and the stakes have never been higher for foreign carmakers.

Take, for example, Mercedes-Benz, a brand that in much of the world suggests moneyed respectability. In China, many people think Mercedes-Benz is the domain of the retiree.

The Buick, long associated in the United States with drivers who have a soft spot for the early-bird special, is by contrast one of the hottest luxury cars in China.

But no vehicle in China has developed as ironclad a reputation as the Audi A6, the semiofficial choice of Chinese bureaucrats. From the country’s southern reaches to its northern capital, the A6’s slick frame and invariably tinted windows exude an aura of state privilege, authority and, to many ordinary citizens, a whiff of corruption.

“Audi is still the de facto car for government officials,” said Wang Zhi, a Beijing taxi driver who has been plying the capital’s gridlocked streets for 18 years. “It’s always best to yield to an Audi — you never know who you’re messing with, but chances are it’s someone self-important.”

With annual growth hovering above 30 percent in recent years, the Chinese auto market is rapidly surpassing the United States’ as the world’s most lucrative and strategically important. Last year alone, the Chinese bought an estimated 13.8 million passenger vehicles, handily topping the 11.6 million units sold in the United States. Foreign-origin brands, most of which are manufactured in China through joint ventures, accounted for 64 percent of total sales in 2010, according to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers.

Even if Chinese brand associations can seem remote and perhaps amusing to those outside the country, Zhang Yu, managing director of Automotive Foresight, a Shanghai industry consultancy, says they will prove decisive to sales in coming decades. “China is already the largest automobile market in the world. No car company can afford to overlook its Chinese brand,” he said.

The lower rungs of the Chinese market are still dominated by domestic brands like Chery, whose name and numerous models suggest more than a passing resemblance to Chevy. The affluent, however, are flocking to an increasingly diverse array of foreign luxury offerings. The rapid market expansion has presented some foreign carmakers with a chance for brand reinvention, while posing public relations challenges to others.

“Because the market is so young, brand perceptions and a car’s face” — an idiom meaning prestige or repute — “are both critical,” said Mr. Zhang, pointing out that 80 percent of car purchases are made by first-time buyers.

Audi’s party technocrat associations are a result partly of the car’s early market entry and its longstanding place on the government’s coveted purchasing list. Audi, the German automaker, gained access to the Chinese market in 1988 when its owner, Volkswagen, struck a joint venture with Yiqi, a Chinese carmaker. By contrast, BMW’s first domestic factory opened in 2003, giving Audi 15 years to establish itself as the premier vehicle for China’s elite.

This early advantage has helped Audi to dominate China’s lucrative government-car market, with 20 percent of its China revenue in 2009 drawn directly from government sales. Each year, the Procurement Center of the Central People’s Government releases a list of the cars and models acceptable for government purchase. While the A6 has long been a mainstay on the list, which had 38 brands in 2010, BMW made the cut only in 2009.

“When people see government officials in BMWs, they automatically suspect corruption or malfeasance — but Audis are to be expected,” said Jessica Wu, a public relations professional with almost a decade of experience in the Chinese car industry. A basic model Audi A6 costs 355,000 renminbi, or $56,000, while the BMW 5 series Li costs about 428,000 renminbi, or $67,520.

Such market positioning has brought significant financial results for Audi — in 2010, the company sold 227,938 vehicles in China, more than double the number in the United States.

The Munich-based automaker BMW, on the other hand, has found itself in a contrary position. Since entering the Chinese market, BMW has acquired a reputation as a vehicle for the arrogant and the rash, making it largely off-limits to wealthy officials who prefer a low-key public image.

Part of this stereotype is rooted in a 2003 incident in which a young female driver in the northeastern city of Harbin intentionally ran over and killed an impoverished man who had accidentally dented her BMW X5. Despite the transparent nature of the case — a clear motive and numerous eyewitnesses — the case was settled out of court for $11,000. The incident was seen as driving a wedge between China’s rich and poor, damaging BMW’s nascent image.

More recently, a driver in a BMW M6 struck and killed a pedestrian in May during an illegal street race in the city of Nanjing, setting off a public outcry.

“If it hadn’t been a BMW, I don’t think it would have been as big of a deal,” said a young man who had taken part in the race and spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was awaiting trial. “Had it been all Toyotas, Mitsubishis or even Audis, I don’t think it would have provoked as dire a reaction.”

Despite such public relations travails, BMW has posted strong sales in China, selling 121,614 units in the first two quarters of 2011, or 27 percent of the company’s total sales during that period.

The American carmaker General Motors has found the Chinese market to be a life-saving opportunity for the reinvention of the Buick brand. Since 2005, when Bob Lutz, the vice chairman of G.M., famously declared Buick a “damaged brand,” America’s oldest surviving automobile make has successfully positioned itself in China as a top-tier luxury carmaker.

Largely the result of effective marketing and remodeling, China’s romance with the Buick also has historical roots. The last Chinese emperor, Pu Yi, was the proud owner of two Buicks, as was the country’s first provisional president, Dr. Sun Yat-sen. The black Buick 8 driven by a onetime premier, Zhou Enlai, is still displayed at his former residence in Shanghai, now a museum.

In 2010, Buick sold over 550,000 cars in China, more than triple its sales in the United States.

“We joke that our market revived Buick from the dead — it’s only partly a joke,” said Liu Wen, a reporter for China Auto News.

On Sina Weibo, the country’s most popular microblogging service, a recent posting tried to sum up the car clichés. “A gathering of Mercedes indicates a get-together for old folks,” the writer said. “A group of BMWs means young nouveaux riches are about to run someone over and have a party; several Audis, and you know it’s a government meeting.”
      11-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Cerezo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 TL Type-S

I am not quite sure about the Buick part but BMW 3 = the car for the secret mistress.

No, I am not kidding.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
98005xi
Just a lowly, lowly cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerezo View Post
I am not quite sure about the Buick part but BMW 3 = the car for the secret mistress.

No, I am not kidding.
Funny...I actually know of one true example of this. wow. not mine, of course.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
keen.rave
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

No, I am not kidding.
some say the bitches that rich
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I think I read this article awhile ago (Link no workey), I have never been to China but I frequently read China Car Times and The Truth About cars websites which have quite a lot of coverage on the Chinese market. I would clearly agree with the embracing of Buick by the Chinese (Look at their sales numbers- they're amazing!), I'd say that the "stereotype" for BMW is more akin to that of in the US "Prickmobile," after all they are called stereotypes for a reason. Corruption runs rampant in the Chinese government, doesn't matter if they drive bimmers or audis.
      12-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
yuyue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i E90 MT

if you drive an Audi A6 in China, you can gain access into any governmental property

and for BMWs, I really think it is unfair. tragedies involved with cars happen everyday, but only BMW would be mentioned in the news. Accidents without any BMWs involved would still be published, but no brand names would appear in the news.... I guess it is a way journalist can attract more audience... and sell the news for more money...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
sali
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 911, 16 Range Rover

In India, BMW's are feared as ultimate killing machines. One drunk driver managed to kill 6 people and drive away.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Hmm, BMW needs to sponsor some kind of social program in China to soften its image.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyue View Post
if you drive an Audi A6 in China, you can gain access into any governmental property

and for BMWs, I really think it is unfair. tragedies involved with cars happen everyday, but only BMW would be mentioned in the news. Accidents without any BMWs involved would still be published, but no brand names would appear in the news.... I guess it is a way journalist can attract more audience... and sell the news for more money...
Because Audi's for some reason are still badge less for some reason. Although with their new "look at how my grille touches the ground" styling, I think that will change.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyue View Post

Of course it's unfair to stereotype BMWs, but the average human isn't that intelligent to distinguish the car from the driver. It's just like back in the 80's when BMW was associated with young American yuppies, only in Mainland China the negative connotation seems to be worse. I have to say, having been to the Mainland on countless occasions, the bimmer drivers there are much much worse then in the States, Canada or UK.

In Hong Kong it's a different matter, every other car is a BMW here, so no stereotypes...at least not to the degree you get in Mainland China.

Last edited by JohnMan; 12-05-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Buick is seen to be higher end in China

Quote:

No, I am not kidding.
Buick is associated with 'high end' status in China, in part due to the fact that the Last Emperor and President were driven in Buicks. The Chinese have a long memory and status is paramount.

Audi & BMW are new kids by comparison so brand mgmt is critical. Not a good image for BMW to have if the headline is a fair representation.

And pls, let's keep this to cars and not internecine debate re CN politics: way to complex and nuanced for any but the experts (and I'm not one!)

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:

No, I am not kidding.
Agreed! lol:

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
Of course it's unfair to stereotype BMWs, but the average human isn't that intelligent to distinguish the car from the driver. It's just like back in the 80's when BMW was associated with young American yuppies, only in Mainland China the negative connotation seems to be worse. I have to say, having been to the Mainland on countless occasions, the bimmer drivers there are much much worse then in the States, Canada or UK.

In Hong Kong it's a different matter, every other car is a BMW here, so no stereotypes...at least not to the degree you get in Mainland China.
First, there's definitely some (warranted) negative stereotypes about BMW drivers. On the whole they are in my observation more aggressive - hell, it IS a driving machine. And they are more expensive than the median household can afford unless they own their home etc.

The classic image until maybe last 3-4 yrs was of a blue-tooth earpiece-wearing aggressive young professional; or a bureaucrat / snr prof'l at higher end (say 7er). Now, for e.g. in the UK, it's the Audi - see Top Gear ep, BMW M3 vs The Rest, then BMW vs IS-F.

Last, your statement re HK and BMWs' frequency @ 1 in 2 is pure hyperbole: yes, it's a very wealthy city which also means BMWs are relatively expensive, but are more widely owned as a % of cars on the road.

Also, as you probably know, it's expensive - like Singapore - to be able to afford the vehicle permit, so relatively skewed sample vs, say the USA or Australia or Canada where the right to drive a vehicle in the city is so much less (registration and insurance, no 'plate' permit, per se.) Relative to population the frequency of BMW ownership is less than SoCal or Munich.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

AWESOME!!! Sorry but being the bad guy is sooooo much more fun then the good guy

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

In Australia BMWs are for awesome people!
      12-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #16
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
First, there's definitely some (warranted) negative stereotypes about BMW drivers. On the whole they are in my observation more aggressive - hell, it IS a driving machine. And they are more expensive than the median household can afford unless they own their home etc.

The classic image until maybe last 3-4 yrs was of a blue-tooth earpiece-wearing aggressive young professional; or a bureaucrat / snr prof'l at higher end (say 7er). Now, for e.g. in the UK, it's the Audi - see Top Gear ep, BMW M3 vs The Rest, then BMW vs IS-F.

Last, your statement re HK and BMWs' frequency @ 1 in 2 is pure hyperbole: yes, it's a very wealthy city which also means BMWs are relatively expensive, but are more widely owned as a % of cars on the road.

Also, as you probably know, it's expensive - like Singapore - to be able to afford the vehicle permit, so relatively skewed sample vs, say the USA or Australia or Canada where the right to drive a vehicle in the city is so much less (registration and insurance, no 'plate' permit, per se.) Relative to population the frequency of BMW ownership is less than SoCal or Munich.

First, I admit there is slight exaggeration in my claim, but BMWs are pretty much on every street on HK, same goes for Mercedes, Audi and German premium cars in general. Second, I'm talking about CAR owning population of HK, not the general population. Third, you got the stats to back up your claim?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #17
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1006will View Post
But you know what, the best brains on this planet are, at least for now, and has always been American for the last century. .
      12-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #18
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:

No, I am not kidding.
Hey, I can't believe the Buick stereotype either, but the numbers don't lie. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #19
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
AWESOME!!! Sorry but being the bad guy is sooooo much more fun then the good guy

Cheers,
e46e92
Eh... Depends. Just being a bad guy isn't enough, you have to finesse it with some gravitas. If not, a bad guy is well, just another bad... Guy...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #20
Best-rider-77
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: an M3 e92 while dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1006will View Post
But you know what, the best brains on this planet are, at least for now, and has always been American for the last century.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #21
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

That explains the hood not extending to the front grill, improving pedestrian impact for the NCAP test and for China. They could offer a small dent/ding body and paint protection in China to help corpoate psychopaths cope and maybe save some people from getting run over for scratching their cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #22
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

on all my trips to China, i have been told BMW stands for Be My Wife, as in that if you have a BMW you can have any women as your wife. i think BMW has a pretty good rep
Appreciate 0