BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
4-series
The best BMW ever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

M3 Convertible or 535i w/M-Package ?

Yes.. I know the difference is huge between the two cars and they have been designed for different audiences but i am kind of stuck in this transition mode. I had three 3-series so no question about enjoying the car, handling and the power of the 335. I am now in the mid to late 30s and feel like i need a change. So here are the pros and cons so far. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pros of an M3 Convertible vs 535i w/M-Package:
- Power. My 335 was the fastest car i ever owned and i enjoyed every bit of it. Always wanted an M3 but could not afford it.
- This would be the first convertible car i have ever owned so i am already excited about enjoying it in Cali.
- Easier to fit in my small garage. (the 535i will require some minor garage mods to make it work)
- I do not have to deal with the RFT issue on the 5-series
- I do not have to deal with the hesitation issue at slow pickups... if i am unlucky enough to get this on my car

Cons of an M3 vs 535i:
- A bit more expensive on the lease payments
- Design feels like my 335 and 328. Same cup holders, same nav. etc... so will not get any improvements coming into the new 2012 3-series.
- Less comfort but this is not a big deal as the other car is an SUV.
- F10 feels very luxurious with the oyster/black leather interior and the overall design of the dash and nav.
      10-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

<----here is my answer.. but I sold the vert to get a m3 sedan, still havent gotten that, now I am getting a coupe.

Last edited by Buschy; 10-15-2011 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Honestly man, that is such an odd comparison that I can't even provide any advice.

My m3 is very different than the old 335 sedan I had, and both are sedans. You are comparing a m3 vert to a 5 series sedan.

Very very different cars
      10-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Not as bad as asking about a pizza vs. a football but close.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
4-series
The best BMW ever!
United_States
Rep

lol... i know. I think i am going to go test drive them this afternoon and see if i can get myself more confused.
      10-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Own a legend or get a 535i?

Easy decision for me. If u live in Cali get the vert for sure
      10-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Realy depends on how you want to drive it. If you want more of a lux cruiser to hit the freeways with and you have no desire to really floor the pedal very often, than go with the 5er. If you are more boy-racer at heart and will be flooring the car a lot and taking more twisties, than go with the m3.

They are cross shopped because they are the same/similar price so its not that odd of a comparo
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Such an odd comparison! I would personally get an e92 M3

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Realy depends on how you want to drive it. If you want more of a lux cruiser to hit the freeways with and you have no desire to really floor the pedal very often, than go with the 5er. If you are more boy-racer at heart and will be flooring the car a lot and taking more twisties, than go with the m3.

They are cross shopped because they are the same/similar price so its not that odd of a comparo
I can't even remember the last time I floored my car...... but I could never get a 5er
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #10
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I can't even remember the last time I floored my car...... but I could never get a 5er
Well if you spend most time commuting on a freeway and you never stomp on the gas than why do you drive an m3? Some kind of ego thing? Sorry to break it to you but an m3 is no status symbol. I love the car but the worst part about the m3 is it is way to well known as a teenager boy racer car even though the vast majority of owners are much older.

If you want to buy an m3 ti cruise around and never stomp on the gas instead of a nice luxuriosu 5 series than to each his own but you are the one that is not the norm here. How boring, how can you never floor the gas in your car? why own an m3 again I will ask
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #11
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well if you spend most time commuting on a freeway and you never stomp on the gas than why do you drive an m3? Some kind of ego thing? Sorry to break it to you but an m3 is no status symbol. I love the car but the worst part about the m3 is it is way to well known as a teenager boy racer car even though the vast majority of owners are much older.

If you want to buy an m3 ti cruise around and never stomp on the gas instead of a nice luxuriosu 5 series than to each his own but you are the one that is not the norm here. How boring, how can you never floor the gas in your car? why own an m3 again I will ask
Ironically, I'm pretty confident I use my M3 more for "what it's built for" more than you do, even though you seem to think I got it for a status symbol.
If I wanted a status symbol, I'd have gotten a Porsche (though I do want a hard top vert...so that probably wouldn't have worked out... actually, not "probably" as I test drove a couple Porsches prior to getting my M3..and they weren't worth losing the hard top for)

Sorry if I don't like going WOT in a 400+hp car while on the street surrounded by idiotic drivers, cops, pedestrians, kids, dogs, pot holes, debris, etc.
Going WOT in 1st gear I will hit the speed limit way before redline.
Waste of tires, gas, along side creating unnecessary (extra) attention
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Well why did you not mention that in your post as it comes across as decieving that you "cannot remember the last time you floored it" but now you say you push the car to its limits quite often>? Well make up your mind. If you track it than say so as that is a valid argument for getting an m3. If you could not deduce from my post then to clarify when I said "if you tend to floor it" obviously that inherently includes track duty or other hard driving on/off road.

So make up your mind speed racer
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Get the vert. I live in Socal. I have the top down just much as I have it up.

You will love it.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
4-series
The best BMW ever!
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I went and looked at a few cars and test drove some. I am not any closer to making a decision but learned a few things:

1) 535i - Nice engine /car combo but not for me. The Power/Weight ratio is not high enough and did not feel the rush i feel with my 335i Couple

2) 550i - Wow. What a nice car. It does make BMW the ultimate machine. Lot's of bells and whistles and the engine is absolutely amazing and deceivingly quiet. I even go to take it on the freeway and this thing has some serious pick up. Bottom line, very comfortable ride, great interior, lots of room, awesome nav screen / integration with the dashboard, great Nappa seats. It seems to me the perfect car for someone who commutes on freeways a lot. So if i go with the 5, then this is it. But the problem is going to be the color, black looks the best on this car with the M-package but i am tired of black. White is not for me on this car and the only other one i liked it the Mojave and the salesman convinced me that this is color is not my age. hmmmm

3) It was hard to find dealer with M3s in stock so had to drive around a bit.

Exterior colors: Mineral White is awesome especially on the couple with the CF top, Jerez Black and Jet Black too (but not an option for me), Melbourne red is awesome (but sales guy thought this would be a ticket magnet in Cali), Interlagos Blue looks also nice.

Interior trim: Only got to see the Sycamore Anthracyte Wood (not for me) and the Carbon Leather (very nice). I wanted to check out the Titanium Shadow trim but they do not stock it.

Leather: I just love the Fox Red/Black/Black combo. I am not sure if it fits with the Melbourne Red and Interlagos Blue exteriors so looking for feedback.

Test drove both cars back to back. No fwy.

a) M3 Coupe - Test drove this first. Amazing car. Looks hotter than the Vert from the back and side. and love the CF top. I was impressed with the pickup at first and seems more roar than action but then realized that it behaves very differently when changed the Drivelogic settings. I must admit, i need to learn about what each setting does but it is makes a huge difference.

b) M3 Vert - Drove it both with the top down and up. This things was a lot of fun and like nothing i have driven before. With the top down, the engine roar is addicting and it sure made everyone look at (or maybe avoid ?) us. Did not feel the power/weight difference at all which i expected not to given i am not on a racing track or even pushing the cars to the limit. This is my favorite so far but need to get over the look with the top up.
      10-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post

You will love it.
+1

Top-up look will grow on you.

Did you try DCT or the Fred Flintstone tranny? (flamesuit on)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
askharjoon
Private
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli

Having owned an e46 M3 cab. E60 550i, E60 M5, and E92 M3, I can tell you that a 535i would leave you wanting for more. I agree with the above post, if you really want an F10 go with the 550i. It is a beast. In fact, I enjoyed tracking the 550i more than the M5 for some reason. Nevertheless, if you live in sunny weather and in your 30's, go with the vert., you'll get a lot more out of it, even if it isn't the "intelligent" choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #17
cpm1229
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

M3
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #18
Gumulri
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i convertible[sold]

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
<----here is my answer.. but I sold the vert to get a m3 sedan, still havent gotten that, now I am getting a coupe.
+1
sold e93 335i for e90 m3 for track
e93 is very heavier than e9X. I felt very slow with that car and I heard too many clicking sound from that roof of that car. even my wife's e60 with sunroof so I ended with this m3 without sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #19
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

I would say E93... end of story.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #20
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well why did you not mention that in your post as it comes across as decieving that you "cannot remember the last time you floored it" but now you say you push the car to its limits quite often>? Well make up your mind. If you track it than say so as that is a valid argument for getting an m3. If you could not deduce from my post then to clarify when I said "if you tend to floor it" obviously that inherently includes track duty or other hard driving on/off road.

So make up your mind speed racer
I think you should go for a nice drive or something cause you obviously have some type of issue(s)

I daily drive the Z4 as the N54 is a better DD engine than the S65 IMO, and the Z4 is more nimble, as well as being easier to park, not as low (so I can clear things and no be paranoid), I don't care about pot holes (tire/wheel insurance), not as picky about scratches (it's 'just' a car), etc etc.

Don't see why you need to call me 'speed racer'

From reading your 2 posts, you seem to sound like the guy who goes WOT on a street with a speed limit of 35mph.
Or go WOT on an on-ramp and hit 90+ only to have to slow down (i.e. a complete waste..).
Or drive on a canyon at high speeds on a Sunday afternoon when there are plenty of bicyclists out, families cruising around etc etc.
But these are just assumptions, I could be completely wrong, or completely right; or partially wrong, or partially right. etc

You (wrongfully) assumed I (may) spend most of my time commuting on freeways (which I don't as I hate driving in LA traffic, makes me want to pull out that gun app . Sorry if you don't get the reference).

Am I understanding correctly that you want to tell someone how to drive his/her car?
Even IF all one wanted to do was take the M3 and cruise on freeway, what's wrong with that? Maybe one likes the styling of a M3 better than a Non-M, or a 5er, or a 7er, etc etc, even if those cars are built more for cruising. So thus, this individual bought a M3 due to it's styling (or for whatever reason s/he saw fit), and you're saying that this person made a mistake?
And "the norm"? How do you know what 'the norm' is around here? You feel you know the "norm" after being on here for 2 months with not even 200 posts? If so, then I applaud you greatly.
Again, if I have assumed something incorrectly, do forgive me, as I am simply stating what I understood from your statements.

Why must I mentioned anything more in my post(s) than I see fit?
So you not only want to tell people how to drive their cars, but..... how they should make their posts?
Not sure if srs

Are you a Democrat by chance? Just curious.

You remind me a little of those people protesting at Wall Street....
In case you don't know which protest I'm referring to:

Sorry to thread jack Op.

To get back on topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post

You will love it.
Same. Drove on PCH today, top down, 72 degrees Sunny with a breeze.

Was also driving through WeHo to the 10, and although the traffic was a PITA, 78 degrees sun with breeze, top down, music, it was a blast. Z4 can go through those side streets pretty easily too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askharjoon View Post
Having owned an e46 M3 cab. E60 550i, E60 M5, and E92 M3, I can tell you that a 535i would leave you wanting for more. I agree with the above post, if you really want an F10 go with the 550i. It is a beast. In fact, I enjoyed tracking the 550i more than the M5 for some reason. Nevertheless, if you live in sunny weather and in your 30's, go with the vert., you'll get a lot more out of it, even if it isn't the "intelligent" choice.
Really? I'm really curious to hear this..

I've never tracked a 5er, but I've driven the M5 a decent amount of times and it haaaaauls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-series View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I went and looked at a few cars and test drove some. I am not any closer to making a decision but learned a few things:

1) 535i - Nice engine /car combo but not for me. The Power/Weight ratio is not high enough and did not feel the rush i feel with my 335i Couple

2) 550i - Wow. What a nice car. It does make BMW the ultimate machine. Lot's of bells and whistles and the engine is absolutely amazing and deceivingly quiet. I even go to take it on the freeway and this thing has some serious pick up. Bottom line, very comfortable ride, great interior, lots of room, awesome nav screen / integration with the dashboard, great Nappa seats. It seems to me the perfect car for someone who commutes on freeways a lot. So if i go with the 5, then this is it. But the problem is going to be the color, black looks the best on this car with the M-package but i am tired of black. White is not for me on this car and the only other one i liked it the Mojave and the salesman convinced me that this is color is not my age. hmmmm

3) It was hard to find dealer with M3s in stock so had to drive around a bit.

Exterior colors: Mineral White is awesome especially on the couple with the CF top, Jerez Black and Jet Black too (but not an option for me), Melbourne red is awesome (but sales guy thought this would be a ticket magnet in Cali), Interlagos Blue looks also nice.

Interior trim: Only got to see the Sycamore Anthracyte Wood (not for me) and the Carbon Leather (very nice). I wanted to check out the Titanium Shadow trim but they do not stock it.

Leather: I just love the Fox Red/Black/Black combo. I am not sure if it fits with the Melbourne Red and Interlagos Blue exteriors so looking for feedback.

Test drove both cars back to back. No fwy.

a) M3 Coupe - Test drove this first. Amazing car. Looks hotter than the Vert from the back and side. and love the CF top. I was impressed with the pickup at first and seems more roar than action but then realized that it behaves very differently when changed the Drivelogic settings. I must admit, i need to learn about what each setting does but it is makes a huge difference.

b) M3 Vert - Drove it both with the top down and up. This things was a lot of fun and like nothing i have driven before. With the top down, the engine roar is addicting and it sure made everyone look at (or maybe avoid ?) us. Did not feel the power/weight difference at all which i expected not to given i am not on a racing track or even pushing the cars to the limit. This is my favorite so far but need to get over the look with the top up.

1) Well it makes sense.... 535 and 335 have the same power (well, assuming both are n55), but the 5er is a good deal heavier than the 3, so no surprise the 5 didn't feel as sporty at the 3

2) If you liked the Mojave, why not go with it? I don't see how it would not work for your age...

3) Any red is generally a cop-magnet, but a M3 will bring you attention regardless. I am not liking your salesman lol
I have Mineral White and love it. I was going to get Space Gray, but the Mineral really is beautiful, especially when it's clean.
Get mineral white

To help influence you:

Titanium shadow is really nice, but IMO the Carbon leather is the best for the M3.

FR/B/B would look awesome with Mineral, but I think full FR would look best with IB.
FR/B/B could work with MR, but I've never seen it

3 A) Once you get the settings right, and you press the M button, the car really "transforms." My settings go from all comfort to all sport+, so it's a big jump, and I love that the car can switch between these 2 modes so easily.
I tend to disagree when you say the E92 looks hotter from the back and the side:

Yes, I admit I am quite biased

3 B) You will feel the weight of the vert on the track, but not to a point where it makes it undesirable. If your goal is to break lap records.... the vert is not the right car IMO. But if your desire is to be able to cruise top down, enjoying the wind, hearing the engine roar (especially in a tunnel), and be able to put the hard top up and push it to your limits, then this is the right car for you.

From your post, it seems you'll enjoy the M3 more.

But question: Did you ever consider the M5? I know there is a big price difference, but an e93 M3 (if you're buying a loaded one), can get up there in price

If you want to test drive more M3s, look into the used market. I'm sure there are plenty available.

It's late, so forgive me for grammar/spelling/etc mistakes
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #21
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumulri View Post
+1
sold e93 335i for e90 m3 for track
e93 is very heavier than e9X. I felt very slow with that car and I heard too many clicking sound from that roof of that car. even my wife's e60 with sunroof so I ended with this m3 without sunroof.
I don't think you can compare an e93 335i to an e90 m3

I used to have an e93 335i, quite heavily modded to (a great deal faster than my M3 in a straight line), but the 335i and M3 are two completely different cars...

You are right about the squeaks, but you can have the dealer fix most of those (not all). heck even the non-verts squeak a lot from what I've read on the forum.
I took my e93 in about 10 times for squeaks and rattles, and they got most of them for me hehe.

But yeah, a car with a fixed roof (and especially one without a sunroof) will squeak/rattle less than a car with a multi piece roof.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #22
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

i vote e93 simply cuz it's the last of na m3's...

plus, after the m3, u can get an f10 in lci form by then...

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0