BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
M3Gator
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Question Tire Question ?

Took my car('09 E92 M3-19 in OEMs) in to dealer for scheduled oil change. Car has @13k miles. Never tracked. SA called and said I have a nail in one of my front tires and a nail in one of my rear tires. Not sure exactly where the nails are in relation to the sidewalls(he couldn't tell me that yet). And must not be leaking much air cuz pressure sensor has not come on. They said they don't patch or recommend patching Z rated tires. Just called Tire Kingdom-they said no problem to patch tire from the inside if it isn't too close to sidewall for $25/tire. My dilemma is Option 1: Buy two new tires from dealer(one rear, one front-roughly $900) and have two brand new tires and two more than half life tires. Option 2: Buy 4 new tires so they all have same tread-roughly $1900. Option 3: Go to Tire Kingdom and patch them them both for $50 knowing I'll probably be buying two new rear tires in the next 5-8k miles.

Of course I didn't purchase the wheel and tire warranty. No plans to track anytime soon. What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
EJ_92606
Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Gator View Post
Took my car('09 E92 M3-19 in OEMs) in to dealer for scheduled oil change. Car has @13k miles. Never tracked. SA called and said I have a nail in one of my front tires and a nail in one of my rear tires. Not sure exactly where the nails are in relation to the sidewalls(he couldn't tell me that yet). And must not be leaking much air cuz pressure sensor has not come on. They said they don't patch or recommend patching Z rated tires. Just called Tire Kingdom-they said no problem to patch tire from the inside if it isn't too close to sidewall for $25/tire. My dilemma is Option 1: Buy two new tires from dealer(one rear, one front-roughly $900) and have two brand new tires and two more than half life tires. Option 2: Buy 4 new tires so they all have same tread-roughly $1900. Option 3: Go to Tire Kingdom and patch them them both for $50 knowing I'll probably be buying two new rear tires in the next 5-8k miles.

Of course I didn't purchase the wheel and tire warranty. No plans to track anytime soon. What would you do?
Patch/plug them both IMO. Even people that track their cars will plug tires without thinking twice about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

I patched one of mine at like 2k. Ran them up to 10k when I switched wheels. I still have them on my factory 19's. No problems. They won't patch a z rated tire because they want to scare you into new tires. Lemme guess, they will patch H rated tires? That's so stupid. It's not like you will be driving over 130 ( the limit for h rated tires).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Patch Them

Look at other choices besides PS2's when it's time to replace them. A lot of people are happy with Vredestein's at around $800 a set.