BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

02-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
AlphaBeta
Systems Malfunction Technician @ Pentagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Exclamation Writer's Block

Hey everyone, I have to right a 10 page paper for my soph. bio class, but I am stuck on the 8th page.

The topic is:
Electric cars vs Solar Cars

So far, I have already talked about
electric vs solar vehicles
Internal combustion vehicles advantages and disadvantages
Problems with internal combustion engine
New technology advantages and disadvantages
-In this, I talked about different types of fuels (biodiesel, E85,etc.) and hybrid cars
how long will current oil and gas reserves last
Air pollution problems
My opinion

Is there any opinions on what else I should add? If not, do you guys have opinions? Would you choose solar or electric, or would you stick with the internal combustion engine? Why?

Sorry if this post isn't really clear, I have been writing for the past three hours

Last edited by AlphaBeta; 02-19-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
AlphaBeta
United_States
Rep

Bump.

Anyone, any ideas?

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
x96283
BAMF, with a stick.
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, 87 GN, 01 996TT

*longish book reply*
True cost to run? The power that they need to provide is not free. The electric motors, batteries, capacitors etc still need to be manufactured. Solar panels are surely not cheap and what kind of expense/ carbon footprint goes into making those?

There's a study out there about the comparison of a Hummer to a Prius. Yes, the fuel consumption on the Hummer is not good but it uses a tried and true engine and manufacturing model. With a simple body on frame construction and basic v8, it can be rebuilt/ serviced for relatively cheap and expected to run for 300k miles (total life expectancy). The Prius, just for the batteries, needs ore mined in one country, manufactured into a battery into another country, shipped to another country and then finally assembled in yet another... look at the footprint! When that batter dies at 150k (life expectancy) what kind of environmental damage occurs with the waste?

maybe you could try that avenue? What would be cheaper to manufacture long term? What provides the cleanest, most cost effective but low impact transportation?

Talk about range anxiety and how to overcome the general public's fears. USA is a widespread country, accessible by driving to nearly every point. Adapation could be less of an issue in a smaller isolated country, or somewhere European... but what about the guy who decides to leave Boston and head to Miami on a whim? Electric and solar surely can't provide the freedom and comfort of knowing you can make it to your destination, however far that may be. I don't want to travel only as far as my recharging cord- or only drive in sunny areas

HTH
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
AlphaBeta
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96283 View Post
*longish book reply*
True cost to run? The power that they need to provide is not free. The electric motors, batteries, capacitors etc still need to be manufactured. Solar panels are surely not cheap and what kind of expense/ carbon footprint goes into making those?

There's a study out there about the comparison of a Hummer to a Prius. Yes, the fuel consumption on the Hummer is not good but it uses a tried and true engine and manufacturing model. With a simple body on frame construction and basic v8, it can be rebuilt/ serviced for relatively cheap and expected to run for 300k miles (total life expectancy). The Prius, just for the batteries, needs ore mined in one country, manufactured into a battery into another country, shipped to another country and then finally assembled in yet another... look at the footprint! When that batter dies at 150k (life expectancy) what kind of environmental damage occurs with the waste?

maybe you could try that avenue? What would be cheaper to manufacture long term? What provides the cleanest, most cost effective but low impact transportation?

Talk about range anxiety and how to overcome the general public's fears. USA is a widespread country, accessible by driving to nearly every point. Adapation could be less of an issue in a smaller isolated country, or somewhere European... but what about the guy who decides to leave Boston and head to Miami on a whim? Electric and solar surely can't provide the freedom and comfort of knowing you can make it to your destination, however far that may be. I don't want to travel only as far as my recharging cord- or only drive in sunny areas

HTH
THIS. IS. PERFECT.

This is exactly what I need. Thank you!

Appreciate 0