BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Zhariff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Exclamation Service code reset

Good afternoon everyone -

quick ? for the group -

My service light came on for my rear brakes last week- telling me that I had 1000 miles left of brake pads left -

I went ahead and bought pads and changed them this weekend - pretty simple procedure, my first on my E93 M3, but 8 or 9th overall.

My question is this - how do I get the service reminder to go off?

Is it something that I can do myself or do I need to go by the dealership and have it reset at my next oil change ( which is not needed for another 2K miles)

Thanks in advance for your input...

Z
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
AMG_LAWL
E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: (2) E92 M3's & F30 320i

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
2008 M3 you should be able to do your self by resetting the service maintenance from the settings tab. I guess on 2011 and on you have to take it to the dealership.. At least this is what I was told trying to reset the oil light on my 2013.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Car can be either started or ignition pressed with no brake

hold the odometer reset, and keep holding until the ! goes away

cycle through the option you want to reset via scrolling the BC stalk

press the BC button

car will show RESET option, press and hold, then release
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
flynscot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/E90/F80 (sold) F82 now

These might help - should be same for oil and brakes, just a different part of the menu. Or see below the links. Post back if it works!!!!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...185785&page=12
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...l+reset&page=3
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149024

or;

Step 1
Insert key into slot
Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to disappear.
Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.

I accept no responsibility if you break your car, this is done at your own risk.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_LAWL View Post
2008 M3 you should be able to do your self by resetting the service maintenance from the settings tab. I guess on 2011 and on you have to take it to the dealership.. At least this is what I was told trying to reset the oil light on my 2013.

Nope, you can reset it yourself even on an LCI car. I watched my service advisor do it after the tech forgot to do so when changing my brake fluid last summer.
      08-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
AMG_LAWL
E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: (2) E92 M3's & F30 320i

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Nope, you can reset it yourself even on an LCI car. I watched my service advisor do it after the tech forgot to do so when changing my brake fluid last summer.
Lol idk what you were watching but you can't reset oil maintenance warning on 2013 M3's. I got my oil changed from a reputable tuner shop in LA. They even said their machines can't rest it. So I had to take it to my local BMW dealer and they had to plug in their machine and reset it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_LAWL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Lol idk what you were watching but you can't reset oil maintenance warning on 2013 M3's. I got my oil changed from a reputable tuner shop in LA. They even said their machines can't rest it. So I had to take it to my local BMW dealer and they had to plug in their machine and reset it.
Weird, I reset the oil interval on my 2011.75 yesterday following the procedure described above. Although newer Porsches do indeed require dealer equipment to reset intervals, so I have that to look forward to with the GT4. Oh well.

OP, Googling "BMW E90 reset service indicator" (or CBS) would have given you the answer, in fact it would have linked threads on this very forum, complete with YouTube videos.

Although funny story, when I reset my pad warning, even though my wear sensor hadn't tripped yet, the CBS then said my pads were overdue for service, and I couldn't clear that one. Dealer checked it and the computer said I was 242,000 miles overdue for brake service. Obviously a software freak-out, which they fixed with an update, but denied warranty coverage due to my aftermarket brakes. Oh well.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_LAWL View Post

Umm, I watched him use the procedure described above. Unless they changed something at the very end of the E9X production run, it should work on your 2013.
      08-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #9
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Or you can reset easy using the BMWhat app..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
Zhariff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynscot View Post
These might help - should be same for oil and brakes, just a different part of the menu. Or see below the links. Post back if it works!!!!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...185785&page=12
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...l+reset&page=3
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149024

or;

Step 1
Insert key into slot
Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to disappear.
Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.

I accept no responsibility if you break your car, this is done at your own risk.

Good morning Gents -

So I tried this and it worked, but only on the negative - I did reset the code, but it reset it to 0 miles left on my brakes - so now it's worse - does anyone know how to add miles to the setting so my brake light and service light don't come on when I'm starting or shutting off the car -
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhariff View Post
Good morning Gents -

So I tried this and it worked, but only on the negative - I did reset the code, but it reset it to 0 miles left on my brakes - so now it's worse - does anyone know how to add miles to the setting so my brake light and service light don't come on when I'm starting or shutting off the car -
You can't add miles to it, it is all relative to what the computer reads from the sensor. Did you replace the brake sensor when doing the pad replacement? It's pretty delicate when removing them, chances are it broke off or damaged.

I spliced mine together and reset the service indicator so I won't have to worry about this

Try resetting it again, with car on/off
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #12
Zhariff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
You can't add miles to it, it is all relative to what the computer reads from the sensor. Did you replace the brake sensor when doing the pad replacement? It's pretty delicate when removing them, chances are it broke off or damaged.

I spliced mine together and reset the service indicator so I won't have to worry about this

Try resetting it again, with car on/off
Will do - but What I find interesting is that I didn't do anything to the front brakes only the rears and the front are now also ready "0" miles left - which is not correct. They were reading 9K miles left this morning - before I started messing with the service reset -

Take two....
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
PeteV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT

No worky

I followed this procedure, and it showed that it was reset in the window, but I still get the error message every time I start and shut down the car, and the BRAKE light is on in the dash all the time. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0