BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

Mporium BMW

01-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
How's your M3 holding up so far this winter?

I'm noticing a lot of peppering in front of the rear wheels/behind my rear doors from the offset of my front wheels throwing stuff up. Dr Colorchip to the rescue, hope it turns out okay. I feel like I'm seeing new small chips on my car with every wash (every two weeks or so).

My PSS tires are doing great in the cold weather, as long as it's not icy they do fine.

How's everyone's cars holding up? Love the extra power when it's cold
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
JPatrick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
The tires are pretty slick in the cold fog we've been having lately. I recently had my car serviced and they set the tires to around 42 lbs. The rear end was quite lively until I dropped the tire pressure back to normal. The car is great but I may re-think the tires next Winter. I find myself being very careful during the early morning commute.
      01-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I'm still driving up to 9/10ths and I hardly notice a difference between my summer and winter setups (considering conditions). Michelin PA4 is where it's at! I'm at 23700 miles now and my paint is virtually flawless and I park outside every day too. I came from a WRX and compared to that, BMW paint is like mithril lol.

My leather is a slightly different story though. The driver's seat is more stretched than I would like and it's a little shiny but this improved some after I cleaned it last week. There is no wearing through the leather though which I have been worried about because it's so delicate. My only real issue is that I'm 90% sure I have a broken motor mount and I have an appointment with BMW Seattle on Friday. Previously had an EDC module go out and the whole unit was replaced.

Overall I'm feeling good about the health of my bimmer and hope I can stay satisfied with it for at least another 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
i001947
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

M3 Garaged and Covered For The Winter

My current M3 is the 5th BMW I've own to date. And one thing that I've learned (which has been very scary) is that winter and fast z rated rear wheel tires don't mix well. A few 360 turns in every BMW( 320i, 325i, 525i and 740i sport) that I own in the past, except my new
M3 taught me a lesson not to drive it during the winter months. Also, when I purchased my M3, I ordered Xpel Clear Bra protection for the full front bumper and sides, the hood, mirrors and wheel arches. It's the best money spend against having the car being peppered, pidded from road rocks, intects, etc.

Spring will come soon enough.

Last edited by i001947; 01-23-2013 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
kerrit
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I'm still driving up to 9/10ths and I hardly notice a difference between my summer and winter setups (considering conditions). Michelin PA4 is where it's at! I'm at 23700 miles now and my paint is virtually flawless and I park outside every day too. I came from a WRX and compared to that, BMW paint is like mithril lol.

My leather is a slightly different story though. The driver's seat is more stretched than I would like and it's a little shiny but this improved some after I cleaned it last week. There is no wearing through the leather though which I have been worried about because it's so delicate. My only real issue is that I'm 90% sure I have a broken motor mount and I have an appointment with BMW Seattle on Friday. Previously had an EDC module go out and the whole unit was replaced.

Overall I'm feeling good about the health of my bimmer and hope I can stay satisfied with it for at least another 5 years.
I just passed 26k miles. I only put about 5 miles a day on the car during the week due to living so close to work. No mechanical/electrical problems to date luckily, and I'm now out of warranty.

I only had a couple rock chips on the hood while I had my stock 18" wheels, but unfortunately the 19s are a different story on the sides of my car. There's also the fact that red shows chips very easily. I'll probably be putting a lot of painters tape on the side of my car when I do a track day.

Regarding my leather, I'm going to do a leatherique full treatement once it's warmer outside. From threads I've seen it pretty much make our seats look brand new.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep

When I did my leather last week I used cleaner and then Lexol conditioner and I was not happy with the results. The Lexol really oiled the leather and it would not buff to the matte look. My car is not a baseball glove! I re-cleaned using armor all leather cleaner/conditioner and got the matte back but I ended up going over my leather 3 times which is a huge pain! When i was done I dropped the Lexol right in the trash. I actually really like the Armorall product which surprises me because its cheap and generic. It made my steering wheel leather brand new again too.

My commute is super short too but I go out driving too much for fun. I might go drive for a few hours today even.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
urBan_dK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
When I did my leather last week I used cleaner and then Lexol conditioner and I was not happy with the results. The Lexol really oiled the leather and it would not buff to the matte look. My car is not a baseball glove! I re-cleaned using armor all leather cleaner/conditioner and got the matte back but I ended up going over my leather 3 times which is a huge pain! When i was done I dropped the Lexol right in the trash. I actually really like the Armorall product which surprises me because its cheap and generic. It made my steering wheel leather brand new again too.

My commute is super short too but I go out driving too much for fun. I might go drive for a few hours today even.
I've heard good things about Leatherique and Leather Masters for our interiors (not leaving a shiny residue). I'm probably going to give those a shot.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by urBan_dK View Post
I've heard good things about Leatherique and Leather Masters for our interiors (not leaving a shiny residue). I'm probably going to give those a shot.
I've had good luck with Leatherique - it's a little harder to go through the two steps, and interior should be warm, ideally.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
JPatrick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I've had good luck with Leatherique - it's a little harder to go through the two steps, and interior should be warm, ideally.
I use Einszett Leather Care Lederpflege. I've been very happy with it. My Fox Red leather looks like new. I'm pretty careful to keep it clean. I park my car inside both at work and home. That helps a lot.
      01-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Jch99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I drove a few times to work - too many rock chips, so now it sits in the garage until we get a dry or sunny day. I'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms. Hopefully the weather report is right for the next few days.

Last edited by Jch99; 01-31-2013 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: info
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Rock chips already? I DD to work and drive to Stevens Pass occasionally and I don't have any rock chips yet. I love driving it every day and couldn't think about letting it sit just because the weather is bad. Can you clear bra it?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
kerrit
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Rock chips already? I DD to work and drive to Stevens Pass occasionally and I don't have any rock chips yet. I love driving it every day and couldn't think about letting it sit just because the weather is bad. Can you clear bra it?
I imagine it's harder to see chips on white - do you inspect pretty closely when you wash it?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Jch99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
I drive about 80 miles a day for work - all on the I5 North. Lots of trucks kicking up debris/rocks. I don't like the look of the clear bra. Also, I have my trustworthy e46 DD
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchan99 View Post
I drive about 80 miles a day for work - all on the I5 North. Lots of trucks kicking up debris/rocks. I don't like the look of the clear bra. Also, I have my trustworthy e46 DD
Ahh that's a pretty long commute and I agree I don't like clear bras either. If you've got an e46, I would totally drive that.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
My car has been holding up fine. I have Conti DWS for winter and so far no issues. I'm surprised some of you guys are on summer tires with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
Veegie
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3 DCT

Awesome! Conti summer tires, commute of ~13 miles a day. No issues at all during this admittedly mild winter.