BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #23
Not Ur Avg 3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
6 MT 4 LIFE
if u wanna feel alive when u drive
      03-31-2007, 03:55 PM   #24
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
You called me a non-enthusiast dork and you know nothing about me.
Let me know when you fix your "rules".
Come on get real. I did not call YOU a single thing. I know nothing about you except quite a few good posts from you If the shoes fits put it on I guess! All I said was that SOME folks that will pull the trigger quickly (regardless of tranny choice) will be a certain type of person and those folks will piss me off. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 01:19 AM   #25
Not Ur Avg 3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
glad to see that were all getting along about the transmission
      04-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #26
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Do i have to keep putting you all in your places again about tranny arguing?

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 01:38 AM   #27
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Come on get real. I did not call YOU a single thing. I know nothing about you except quite a few good posts from you If the shoes fits put it on I guess! All I said was that SOME folks that will pull the trigger quickly (regardless of tranny choice) will be a certain type of person and those folks will piss me off. Cheers.
Swamp. Are you sure the frustration you have is not more about the possibility that the car might not debut with dsg or similar and therefore other less enthusiastic than you (however, still enthusiastic about the car) will be driving around and getting the kudos before you? If so i can understand, but also not everyone who opts for the MT because they do not want to wait is a dork! Each of the trannies have good and bad. MT is pure, more natural whereas dsg is more advanced and quicker.

I think some will buy the M3 and will never track it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 03:48 AM   #28
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
And...

1. Do or do not non-enthusiast dorks buy hot new cars with little to no appreciation of the vehicles features and capabilities and heritage?
2. Is or isn´t it fair for a true enthusiast to also want to have something when it is fresh. IMO it is definitely a fun part of having a new vehicle to simply have it when it first comes out?
3. Go tell someone else they don´t have class before you know anything about me.
Swamp i swear your annoying
the only person who is really immature about these tranny issues is you
Nobody disses a transmission except you

Yes i do think people who go 6 SPEED FOR LIFE is retarded but u just keep dissing thinking your very smart

it shows everybody on the forum who is an idiot with logic

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #29
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
Swamp i swear your annoying
the only person who is really immature about these tranny issues is you
Nobody disses a transmission except you

Yes i do think people who go 6 SPEED FOR LIFE is retarded but u just keep dissing thinking your very smart

it shows everybody on the forum who is an idiot with logic
Hum. Ironic.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #30
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

RELAX

Look, guys, relax!!!!

I AM NOT CALLING ANYONE HERE A DORK. Can you please READ MY POSTS (apparently not...)?? I have only been critical of those folks who jump the bandwagon, get whatever is new and hot and are not really M enthusiasts. If you are an M enthusiast - the shoe does not fit so don´t bloody put it on!!!

Personally I would choose ZSG>SMG>MT, but of course this is my choice. I do find it hard to believe that a real driver/enthusiast/performance seeker would choose MT but certainly to each their own. If you like to row your gears - go ahead, I´m sure you will have fun. But the driver of exact equal skill to you will have soooo much fun passing you in nearly all circumstances with a more advanced transmission.

P.S. Thanks REP1KRR! Nice observation, couldn´t have said it better myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #31
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Personally I would choose ZSG>SMG>MT, but of course this is my choice. I do find it hard to believe that a real driver/enthusiast/performance seeker would choose MT but certainly to each their own. If you like to row your gears - go ahead, I´m sure you will have fun. But the driver of exact equal skill to you will have soooo much fun passing you in nearly all circumstances with a more advanced transmission.
Got to agree with that. The clutch pedal is a relic of the past just like the carburator.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #32
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

I will opt for the "auto" M3, although I had a lot of fun tonight getting a perfect launch on my 6MT M Coupe! Very fun! I forgot I had it in me...

VARROOOOM!

Choose whatever makes you smile.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 04:12 AM   #33
Woms
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 130

Quote:
I do find it hard to believe that a real driver/enthusiast/performance seeker would choose MT
So you find it hard to believe that enthusiasts wish to be involved, as much as possible, with every aspect of the car and it's parts, including the changing of gears? Driving a high performance car is not simply about speed, but the integration between operator and machine. This clearly is lost on you.

Given a choice over SMGII or manual I would go manual every time based on personal experience with my E46 M3 CSL. What the new 'box will be like, I probably shan't know until my new manual M3 arrives, by which time it will be too late.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 04:23 AM   #34
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woms View Post
So you find it hard to believe that enthusiasts wish to be involved with every aspect of the car and it's parts, including the changing of gears?
Yep, in the same way I am content to not tune a carburator, start the car with a manual choke, add oil ever 300 miles, or double clutch because the car doesn't have syncros.

Some things add to the experince, others are just a PITA.

I am involved with the changing of the grears, I just have a better interface to the device now
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 04:39 AM   #35
Woms
United Kingdom
Rep

I think you may have missed my point. No surprise there.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #36
enigma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think you may have missed my point. No surprise there.
What point is that?

If you are wondering if I am an "entusiast" that know how to drive, try this...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 04:48 AM   #37
Woms
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
What point is that?

If you are wondering if I am an "entusiast" that know how to drive, try this...
What on earth are you talking about? Use the search engine for what exactly? To read some posts that show me you can drive? Please!

My point is this: You can still be an 'enthusiast' (it has an 'h') and opt for a manual 'box. Is it really that hard to understand?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 05:25 AM   #38
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
So you find it hard to believe that enthusiasts wish to be involved, as much as possible, with every aspect of the car and it's parts, including the changing of gears? Driving a high performance car is not simply about speed, but the integration between operator and machine. This clearly is lost on you.

Given a choice over SMGII or manual I would go manual every time based on personal experience with my E46 M3 CSL. What the new 'box will be like, I probably shan't know until my new manual M3 arrives, by which time it will be too late.
I agree completely.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 05:27 AM   #39
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Steering sure is a PITA. I can't wait until they automate that.

You guys could get someone to drive you around if it is too much work.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #40
Ted
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Yep, in the same way I am content to not tune a carburator, start the car with a manual choke, add oil ever 300 miles, or double clutch because the car doesn't have syncros.

Some things add to the experince, others are just a PITA.

I am involved with the changing of the grears, I just have a better interface to the device now
The interface may be better than the previous interface you are used to, however it is still an interface that is keeping you at least one step further removed from what is actually going on.

There may be a cultural difference between UK and US here, it appears that in the US an auto gearbox is far more acceptable, whereas in the UK auto's have been typically disregarded by enthusiasts due to power loss from torque converters and disconnecting the driver from the driving experience. Admittedly autos are improving and continue to narrow the gap between manual and auto.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #41
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

[QUOTE=Woms;827722]So you find it hard to believe that enthusiasts wish to be involved, as much as possible, with every aspect of the car and it's parts, including the changing of gears? Driving a high performance car is not simply about speed, but the integration between operator and machine. This clearly is lost on you.
QUOTE]

+1
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #42
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
There may be a cultural difference between UK and US here, it appears that in the US an auto gearbox is far more acceptable, whereas in the UK auto's have been typically disregarded by enthusiasts due to power loss from torque converters and disconnecting the driver from the driving experience. Admittedly autos are improving and continue to narrow the gap between manual and auto.
I don't know about cultural differences between the US and UK as they relate to choice of transmissions, but since we are talking about M3s here, then I don't think automatic transmissions with torque converters are relevant to our discussion.

I used to be a die-hard manual tranny guy, but SMG in the E46 M3 has won me over.

Granted, at some point automation takes away from the experience. I do not think that taking away the clutch pedal crosses the line into too much automation for enthusiast driving. You still must modulate the throttle for smoothness, you still decide which gear to use. You can even keep that left foot involved by left foot braking! It is a great technique, especially on the track.
Appreciate 0