BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I was just offered week 6 week production and I...

F***king passed! Damn you BMW!

I ain't orderin' no car without knowing price and info on availability of transmission choices--let alone some god damn leather color samples! This is especially painful since, based on recent EU news/rumors about DCT, DCT might indeed be an option for people in the US by the time week 6 production starts. However, since my dealer cannot confirm any of that, I am not going to place an order that I cannot retract if 6MT turns out to be the only choice by week 6. I want more f***king info on DCT that I know BMW currently possesses but will not release for whatever reason.

Way to majestically piss off loyal repeat customers BMW! Actually, I mentioned all of this to a friend of mine who is a rather distinguished professor in a distinguished business school, and he said he was following the situation--he is a car freak as well--and that he thinks BMW is not playing its cards well here by choosing to alienate early product adopters despite the demand situation, etc. So, there you go, we have expert testimony that BMW needs to get back on top of its game here--especially with a recession on the horizon.

It's as if I am courting a gorgeous woman who is somewhat interested but is too self-conscious about the fact the she is gorgeous! I don't play those kind of games damn it; I say screw yourself then and just move on...

Anyway, sorry for the language and use of questionable metaphors, but that's exactly how I feel at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Hello BMW - Let's get some solid info to the dealers NOW.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Lucid, where have you been lately?

Sorry to hear about the turmoil. We worried it would come to this. BMW is getting too cute in their operations and now it's negatively affecting their reputation.

At this stage couldn't you have changed your order around for another couple of weeks?
Even if you pull out, the dealer could easily sell the car this early on.
      01-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Lucid, where have you been lately?
Thanks for asking E. I messed up my back trying to be the jock I was in my 20s in my 30s--fractured a rib and a vertebra in a sports related infury a few years ago--so I'm dealing with the aftermath with surgeries and all. Good wine helps! Better than narcs anyway...

Quote:
At this stage couldn't you have changed your order around for another couple of weeks?
Even if you pull out, the dealer could easily sell the car this early on.
Well, I tried telling the guy just that, but all he said in return was that since M-DCT was "a long ways out", he would need to "take me off the list" and let others have their 6MTs. The thing is, after learning more about M-DCT, I just might actually opt for 6MT anyway. Oh, well.

I'm so pissed that I'm gonna...let's see...I'm gonna...ahhh...I'm gonna buy a 335!!! That'll teach BMW a lesson.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

I agree with lucid 100%
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Thanks for asking E. I messed up my back trying to be the jock I was in my 20s in my 30s--fractured a rib and a vertebra in a sports related infury a few years ago--so I'm dealing with the aftermath with surgeries and all. Good wine helps! Better than narcs anyway...

Well, I tried telling the guy just that, but all he said in return was that since M-DCT was "a long ways out", he would need to "take me off the list" and let others have their 6MTs. The thing is, after learning more about M-DCT, I just might actually opt for 6MT anyway. Oh, well.

I'm so pissed that I'm gonna...let's see...I'm gonna...ahhh...I'm gonna buy a 335!!! That'll teach BMW a lesson.
Yikes, hope everything works out for you. Back problems are wicked, I know.

You have officially shuned the 6MT club by passing on the slot. We turn our noses up at you.
      01-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have officially shuned the 6MT club by passing on the slot. We turn our noses up at you.
Hey, I didn't say I will NOT buy 6MT. I just need the relevant info to make the decision. Don't write me off just yet!

How is your order coming along? Do you have a production date?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey, I didn't say I will NOT buy 6MT. I just need the relevant info to make the decision. Don't write me off just yet!

How is your order coming along? Do you have a production date?
Negatory. Specs are simmering with the dealer, nothing more I know of.

The guy in the #1 slot does, perhaps you have seen Xcellere's posts? His car has an actual production date, status 150.
      01-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Negatory. Specs are simmering with the dealer, nothing more I know of.

The guy in the #1 slot does, perhaps you have seen Xcellere's posts? His car has an actual production date, status 150.
Yeah, I've seen his order. He might very well end up being the first person here to get his car.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I've seen his order. He might very well end up being the first person here to get his car.
And just to think, that could have been ME!!!
      01-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
BevoRules
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

education please from someone more in know than I RE BMW...what does status 150 mean anyway? thx
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Production Status 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoRules View Post
education please from someone more in know than I RE BMW...what does status 150 mean anyway? thx
Status 150 means there is a hard schedule for production (ordering system actually says, "Production Started"), usually within about 2 weeks, and the specific parts for the car are on order. No more changes.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-10-2008 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

lucid, I just want to commend you for taking your name out of the hat and letting someone else in ahead. Seriously, that took some real discipline. I think a lot of us would have just spec'd out the car as close as we could to what we really wanted, and then maybe ended up passing on it when it arrived. This way, the next guy on the list get's his car sooner, spec'd exactly how he wants. Kudos to you.

And hang in, you will get your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
lucid, I just want to commend you for taking your name out of the hat and letting someone else in ahead. Seriously, that took some real discipline. I think a lot of us would have just spec'd out the car as close as we could to what we really wanted, and then maybe ended up passing on it when it arrived. This way, the next guy on the list get's his car sooner, spec'd exactly how he wants. Kudos to you.

And hang in, you will get your car.
Well, I did indeed want to step aside for someone who was sure of what he/she wanted, but there was another motivator: the $1000 deposit. I read the fine print on the deposit papers, and it says, the dealer will keep your deposit if you special order a car, and do not pick it up within X number of days after it makes it to the dealer. So, the deposit is refundable up until the car is produced, but once it is built, you either buy it or let your deposit go. I don't know if this is just specific to my dealer or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, I did indeed want to step aside for someone who was sure of what he/she wanted, but there was another motivator: the $1000 deposit. I read the fine print on the deposit papers, and it says, the dealer will keep your deposit if you special order a car, and do not pick it up within X number of days after it makes it to the dealer. So, the deposit is refundable up until the car is produced, but once it is built, you either buy it or let your deposit go. I don't know if this is just specific to my dealer or not.
I believe it is the same with my dealer. Although, dealer's would be able to get rid of the M3 with no problem, so I don't see why you couldn't get your deposit back if the car came with a price that is unacceptable to you.
      01-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #16
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe it is the same with my dealer. Although, dealer's would be able to get rid of the M3 with no problem, so I don't see why you couldn't get your deposit back if the car came with a price that is unacceptable to you.
At that point, it is up to the discretion of the dealer if they want to refund you the deposit or not. Legally, based on what the contract says, they can sell the car to someone else and still keep the deposit. However you look at it, it can be messy unless the dealer agrees to your conditions and lack of certainty from the beginning. Mine has not and asked me to step aside basically.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Ah I see. I think each dealership makes it own rules in that regard. I've read plenty of stories on the forums of folks not taking delivery of ordered cars while not getting charged anything. Admittedly, I've never done that myself though. I think with high-demand cars it would probably not be a big deal since it will likely sell quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Ah I see. I think each dealership makes it own rules in that regard. I've read plenty of stories on the forums of folks not taking delivery of ordered cars while not getting charged anything. Admittedly, I've never done that myself though. I think with high-demand cars it would probably not be a big deal since it will likely sell quickly.
Yes, I think each dealership might deal with this differently. When I ordered my 325ci, the deposit was refundable even if you decided you didn't want the car once it arrived. And personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable in not following through.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
That's pretty typical language. What makes this situation, different, of course, is that the price was unkown at the time of ordering, no cars are on hand to examine and the status of key options is unkown. In this case, any ethical dealer would be willing to refund your deposit if you change your mind. It seems like they should also be willing to just move you down the list until the information you need to be comfortable is available.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #20
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
It seems like they should also be willing to just move you down the list until the information you need to be comfortable is available.
I think that is, in effect, what ended up happening. Meaning, I am probably the first in line for a DCT car if I decide that's what I want after BMW releases info on that. But I will double check with him to make sure this is the case. Also, I don't know about these guys' "ethics." In my book, anything is possible when you are dealing with car sales...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #21
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

I did a lot of soul searching today. I really want this car, and my money is sitting in a worthless money market account barely keeping up with inflation. So, I decided I was going to order the car with 6MT and get to have fun with it starting March based on the week 6 build date my salesguy quoted me yesterday.

I called the guy back this afternoon and told him I was going through with it. He took my specs and said he would get back to me once the order is in. But, instead, he calls me back 30 minutes later saying the week 6 production slot was actually not available, and that he should have checked with his boss, and it would be more like late May-early June before I could get the car if that!

I was about to say, "then why the hell did you call me out of the blue yesterday and tell me I could have week 6 production you idiot" but I didn't. Unf**king believable! I don’t know what’s going on with these guys, but I’m thinking someone must have offered above MSRP between yesterday and today for the week 6 build slot, or the manager has a buddy of his in mind...

There is no way I'm going for June delivery since I'll be out of the country traveling July-August. I'd rather wait until September and get a MY09. The prospects of M3 ownership has produced nothing but frustration for me so far. It shouldn’t be this way if I am more than willing to write a $70,000 check. It really shouldn’t…
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #22
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Lucid, so sorry!

BMW has really jerked us all around on this one.
Some bizarre business at that dealer. Is there another one local?