BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: PS4 or Xbox 1?
PS4 92 63.45%
XBOX 1 33 22.76%
Both 20 13.79%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

06-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #67
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossSauce View Post
i dont like you. durka durka
not sure if soorena
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #68
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post

2) There's a large deal of hate directed at the new DRM policy. As someone that has an Internet connection (like the majority of people living in a developed country, especially those that have the expendable income to buy a console and the games to go with it), has rarely bought used games, and hasn't shared a game since highschool, this has zero effect on me.
The people that bought Sim City probably justified the DRM requirements just as you, yet look at that debacle. There are always server issues when something new and big launches. Usually that means you have to wait a few days for online components. But in this case, your console (or game) is rendered useless. And yea, its not the end of the world, you can spend your time doing something else, but when you buy a new toy you want to play with it.

Also, Japan, as a whole, is not getting the X1 at launch. They obviously have money, internet, and dedicated gamers. So, it's not just a technical thing, its an accessibility concern. The Japanese game developers are crucial to the business as a whole, how much support will X1 get from developers who can't play their own games?

Quote:
It sounds like Microsoft is trying to help protect developers, which is a completely logical business decision IMO. It's absurdly difficult to survive as a game developer these days thanks to increased budget requirements, increased piracy, and diminished returns from used purchases.
I don't see how it's MS's job to protect the developers. Developers should protect themselves.

And I don't understand the diminished returns on used games argument. There is no other industry that tries to regulate the 2nd hand market. The music industry doesn't tell you what to do with your CDs. The movie industry doesn't care who borrows your blu-rays. BMW doesn't make it impossible to sell/trade-in your car. And again, we're talking about physical media. Obviously, digital music and movies are regulated as far as how many copies and who can use them. And I don't think anyone is saying you should be able to sell and trade your downloaded games.

Every used game was once sold as new.

The X1 does look cool and I thought they showed great games. I just think the restrictions are a bit harsh for a piece of consumer electronics.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #69
BossSauce
Rep
Drives: 545i

Quote:
not sure if soorena
you xbox nut huggler
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #70
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grieverr View Post
The people that bought Sim City probably justified the DRM requirements just as you, yet look at that debacle. There are always server issues when something new and big launches. Usually that means you have to wait a few days for online components. But in this case, your console (or game) is rendered useless. And yea, its not the end of the world, you can spend your time doing something else, but when you buy a new toy you want to play with it.

Instead of comparing the DRM to the one developed and imposed by the company of Satan, EA, draw a connection to Valve and its Steam service. Nobody complains about it yet the concept is goddamn near identical. Not to mention we're talking about a huge number of servers up and running by comparison. If there's a temporary failure, they'd have 24 hours to fix the problem. How many times did XBL experience server issues for 24+ hours?

Also, Japan, as a whole, is not getting the X1 at launch. They obviously have money, internet, and dedicated gamers. So, it's not just a technical thing, its an accessibility concern. The Japanese game developers are crucial to the business as a whole, how much support will X1 get from developers who can't play their own games?

Hasn't Japan always been the equivalent to Fort Knox for MS? I'm pretty sure they've never been a crucial component to its success since they've historically been a market that likes to buy products from its nation. Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought this was a huge topic back when the 360 was trying to develop market share in its infancy.

I don't see how it's MS's job to protect the developers. Developers should protect themselves.
And I don't understand the diminished returns on used games argument. There is no other industry that tries to regulate the 2nd hand market. The music industry doesn't tell you what to do with your CDs. The movie industry doesn't care who borrows your blu-rays. BMW doesn't make it impossible to sell/trade-in your car.
Every used game was once sold as new.

They're enforcing DRM because if they didn't, ANYONE could take a game, install it on their HD and have a free copy. One disc amongst a group of kids could be the equivalent of five, ten or twenty plus sales. Imagine a AAA single player game came out. One person buys the copy then hands it out to his/her friends. That's multiple lost sales. That's money wasted on the developer's end. That's a risk to their survival, which can come full-circle and impact the gamer in the long run. A universally-enforced DRM means consistency of quality and use. It means that developers have a safer chance at staying in business, giving them the time to make us new content. Microsoft has also done a fairly good job of giving people shared library access because they realize the impact this has on some consumers.

The X1 does look cool and I thought they showed great games. I just think the restrictions are a bit harsh for a piece of consumer electronics.

Harsh? Maybe. I think it's a positive change that consumers don't feel ready for. I've lost 90% of my game library from my past consoles because the damn discs went missing, so this is a personal boon.

Last edited by Year's_End; 06-13-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #71
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you xbox nut huggler
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #72
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

you must be trolling. i've decided.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #73
BossSauce
Rep

Quote:
-___________-
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #74
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
you must be trolling. i've decided.
This isn't the first time I've been told that about this subject.

Quote:
-___________-
Gave it away, only you would use this face brah.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #75
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

I wish the back and forth on this subject would just end. Especially IGN. I had no idea there were so many crybabies(both sides).

Just buy what you want and shut it.
      06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #76
BossSauce
Rep

Quote:
Gave it away, only you would use this face brah.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #77
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:

I've lost 90% of my game library from my past consoles because the damn discs went missing, so this is a personal boon.
That, I can sympathize with!!

And that's just it. I have old games that I can always pull out of the box and play. My concern is when X2 comes out, they'll shut the X1 servers down, leaving me with an unplayable library.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #78
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Still glad I play mostly on PC, besides a few nostalgia type games (i.e. Legend of Zelda and all games in that category). That's why I have my Wii.
      06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #79
playndirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe w/ 19" 313

sounds like xbox is making a 180 change... killing the 24hr online check and able to share, resell games. perhaps they should now call it xbox 180
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #80
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

they still have that camera watching my every move... pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #81
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I'd love to see them wait a month then turn everything back to what they originally planned to do with an update.
It's a tarp!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #82
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Neither. Fishing is coming back in a big way.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #83
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

BTW, kinda off topic but The Last of Us is fucking amazing. Highly recommend for you PS3 lovers. Excellent graphics, excellent gameplay, excellent sound, excellent voice acting, excellent story, just fucking excellent is I guess what I'm trying to say here. Best game I've ever played.
      06-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #84
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc
BTW, kinda off topic but The Last of Us is fucking amazing. Highly recommend for you PS3 lovers. Excellent graphics, excellent gameplay, excellent sound, excellent voice acting, excellent story, just fucking excellent is I guess what I'm trying to say here. Best game I've ever played.
Thank you for this review, lol. I plan on picking up a copy of The Last of Us, once I wrap up the latest God of War.

I have been anticipating Last of Us for months now.... just don't have the opportunity to find the hours to play..... work, work, work, lol
      06-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #85
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
im a huge fan of the uncharted series, which is made by the same guys, was thinking about picking up "the last of us", think you're review pushed me over the edge, thanks for costing me $60

but yea, IGN gave it a perfect score, looks incredible
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #86
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
im a huge fan of the uncharted series, which is made by the same guys, was thinking about picking up "the last of us", think you're review pushed me over the edge, thanks for costing me $60

but yea, IGN gave it a perfect score, looks incredible
Agreed. The Uncharted series was amazing. Replay worthy.

He has also cost me another 60 bucks.... thanks a lot, lol
      06-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #87
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Back on topic.., I ordered both launch day consoles simply to sell them during the hype/hysteria this Christmas. If one flounders in price and/or demand I may keep it for myself. But that is doubtful as I'm a PC gamer.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #88
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

paid of my Xbox One last night, cant wait!

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0