BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Another M?

I can't decide and would love some direction.

I have an E92 obviously now, and have had an infinite amount of bullshit issues with my DCT. I am sitting here debating ordering an 11, but can't seem to convince myself ill be happy with the 6MT (I havent driven one, but how different could it be?). This said am I crazy to want another one or should I go in a different direction?

The real issue is that I can't think of anything comparable to the M when it comes to utility and fun.

Any suggestions are wonderful

Thanks,
JG
      06-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Drive it first. What are you thinking can't be different? The lag? The overall experience? I debated as well but I don't regret going manual one bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
cap_freez
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X3, 2013 RS5

The manual car will obviously be a safer bet for reliability. I you like to drive stick I don't see why you would not like it. you will lose the convenience but if I were in your shoes and had a bad exp with dct i'd be reluctant to getting another one for sure.
      06-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Dominic_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 ///M3 and 2014 535i

Test Drive the 6mt.. before you do anything crazy... There are tons of guys here with DCT zero problems... and loving it everyday... too bad you are not one of them... Drive it and try rev matching between gears.. i am sure if you know how to drive a manual you will love it.. GL
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
I haven't looked it it alot, but it seems the issues with DCT center more around the 08 models. The new one (at least I hope) could be a non-issue.

I did a lot of shopping around myself and the only thing thats even close really is the AMG63. I did like it, but liked the M3 more, especially the styling. But I was in the market for a 4 door. If your sticking with a 2 door, you have more options, like the Audi S5 which I think is beautiful and comparable performance (and I like the interior just a bit better). If you want some brute force type fun, the GT500 (especially the 2011 with a new aluminum block and 125lbs off the front, 560hp) is a great buy. I think the Corvette is getting some cosmetic changes in 2012.

I'd go look at all of them. Since you've owned an M3, you can drive and really compare if you want another one.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

Manual will be fine and fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
6mt is always a safe bet
      06-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
I haven't looked it it alot, but it seems the issues with DCT center more around the 08 models. The new one (at least I hope) could be a non-issue.

I did a lot of shopping around myself and the only thing thats even close really is the AMG63. I did like it, but liked the M3 more, especially the styling. But I was in the market for a 4 door. If your sticking with a 2 door, you have more options, like the Audi S5 which I think is beautiful and comparable performance (and I like the interior just a bit better). If you want some brute force type fun, the GT500 (especially the 2011 with a new aluminum block and 125lbs off the front, 560hp) is a great buy. I think the Corvette is getting some cosmetic changes in 2012.

I'd go look at all of them. Since you've owned an M3, you can drive and really compare if you want another one.
Even the newer models have lag. If I wasn't in an M I'd be in an S4.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

what were the problems with dct?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

It's really fun to drive a manual M3. I honestly don't see a reason to buy such a car in automatic, but that's just me. And if I did, it wouldn't be a DCT for sure, especially if I wanted to keep it beyond warranty. It's not as easy to drive smoothly right off the bat, like a Porsche, but a little practice is all it takes.

You need to think over is you want a manual or another auto. If auto, I'd get an AMG63; same reliability as a regular auto, and shifts as quick as a DCT (best of both worlds IMO). If manual RWD, you can try the M3, Porsche Cayman S (a year old Carrera too) and Z06. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It's really fun to drive a manual M3. I honestly don't see a reason to buy such a car in automatic, but that's just me. And if I did, it wouldn't be a DCT for sure, especially if I wanted to keep it beyond warranty. It's not as easy to drive smoothly right off the bat, like a Porsche, but a little practice is all it takes.

You need to think over is you want a manual or another auto. If auto, I'd get an AMG63; same reliability as a regular auto, and shifts as quick as a DCT (best of both worlds IMO). If manual RWD, you can try the M3, Porsche Cayman S (a year old Carrera too) and Z06. Good luck.
Don't mean to make an issue of semantics, but we need to remember the DCT is not an automatic transmission, and it has the same gear-driven reliability and strength as the traditional 6 speed offered. Most people don't buy the DCT because they want an automatic, but because it handles the clutches faster and more precisely than is possible manually. The "auto" function can be a definite convenience and, for some, maybe required if they just don't want a traditional manual. But, you don't give up any of the functional advantages of a manual with the DCT, assuming of course, it's working properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
I can't decide and would love some direction.

I have an E92 obviously now, and have had an infinite amount of bullshit issues with my DCT. I am sitting here debating ordering an 11, but can't seem to convince myself ill be happy with the 6MT (I havent driven one, but how different could it be?). This said am I crazy to want another one or should I go in a different direction?

The real issue is that I can't think of anything comparable to the M when it comes to utility and fun.

Any suggestions are wonderful

Thanks,
JG
I had a manual on my E93, went DCT on the E92, wish I'd stayed 6MT. While most of my DCT issues are behind me (software updates cured), I find the excessive clutch use on starts and when parking annoying (and I think my low-speed clutch skills are better than the DCT's skills). Yes, it's faster on upshifts/downshifts than I ever would be, but I miss the heel/toe action and involvement. It's all about preference--and IMO I guess I'm just a 6MT guy at heart. Given that some folks (like you, and there are others) have had a world of trouble with DCT, I wouldn't touch it again if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post

Totally agree with your post JC. The Cayman S' MT/clutch is just perfection IMO, even better in feel than the Carrera's gearbox/clutch (which is still damn good and better than the M3). But I think Greeney needs a car with a backseat, so that means the M3 or the AMG63.

Greeney, if you've been an MT guy in the past, I don't think you can go wrong with the M3 MT, unless a ton of your driving is stop and go traffic. If that's the case, I'd look at the cost of the new 11 vs. another option such as buying a non-M 3 or 5 series with steptronic for commuting and get a nice used Cayman S MT or PDK for weekend fun! You'd keep the practicality (actually more, since the 328 is more stingy on gas) and get more fun (if you haven't driven the Cayman S, I strongly suggest you do).

Used 07/08 Cayman S runs ~40K, used 3 series (like an 08 328 CPO) runs in the mid 20s. Net cost is pretty much the same as a new 11 M3, unless that is, you're finally catching a break here given the legacy of issues with your old DCT car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I had a manual on my E93, went DCT on the E92, wish I'd stayed 6MT. While most of my DCT issues are behind me (software updates cured), I find the excessive clutch use on starts and when parking annoying (and I think my low-speed clutch skills are better than the DCT's skills). Yes, it's faster on upshifts/downshifts than I ever would be, but I miss the heel/toe action and involvement. It's all about preference--and IMO I guess I'm just a 6MT guy at heart. Given that some folks (like you, and there are others) have had a world of trouble with DCT, I wouldn't touch it again if I were you.

Totally agree with your post JC. The Cayman S' MT/clutch is just perfection IMO, even better in feel than the Carrera's gearbox/clutch (which is still damn good and better than the M3). But I think Greeney needs a car with a backseat, so that means the M3 or the AMG63.

Greeney, if you've been an MT guy in the past, I don't think you can go wrong with the M3 MT, unless a ton of your driving is stop and go traffic. If that's the case, I'd look at the cost of the new 11 vs. another option such as buying a non-M 3 or 5 series with steptronic for commuting and get a nice used Cayman S MT or PDK for weekend fun! You'd keep the practicality (actually more, since the 328 is more stingy on gas) and get more fun (if you haven't driven the Cayman S, I strongly suggest you do).

Used 07/08 Cayman S runs ~40K, used 3 series (like an 08 328 CPO) runs in the mid 20s. Net cost is pretty much the same as a new 11 M3, unless that is, you're finally catching a break here given the legacy of issues with your old DCT car.
You really do know me pretty well.

The moral of the story is that yes, I need a back seat so it's really E90 or E92. I drove an E90 M3 today and for some reason it felt quieter and softer than my E92 why I cannot explain.

I guess im trying to justify spending an extra 12k on the same car. Which is tougher to do in practice than in theory. I have gotten great prices on the new car and trade in value for my car but even still I just can't get myself to pull the trigger right now.

Any other options, or is it just C63 and M3? I love the Cayman but it seems to unpractical for me at the moment.
      06-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #14
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

What kind of issues are you having?

I ask because I am considering switching to DCT. I am not really unhappy with 6MT, but now that the DCT lag issues appear to be resolved, I would like to get one.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
You really do know me pretty well.

The moral of the story is that yes, I need a back seat so it's really E90 or E92. I drove an E90 M3 today and for some reason it felt quieter and softer than my E92 why I cannot explain.

I guess im trying to justify spending an extra 12k on the same car. Which is tougher to do in practice than in theory. I have gotten great prices on the new car and trade in value for my car but even still I just can't get myself to pull the trigger right now.

Any other options, or is it just C63 and M3? I love the Cayman but it seems to unpractical for me at the moment.
ISF? They added an LSD...so it's very good now. IDK try it out and see...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #16
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

or how about an LFA?
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #17
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
Audi S5 is very nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #18
RevFreak14
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

I realize you had a bad experience but the vast majority of people with DCT love it and have had no issues. I have it and love the versatility of having an auto as sitting in Miami stop & go traffic is no fun with a manual. If you really love the M3 I would suggest giving it another shot with the DCT. If not, other options (provided you need a backseat) I guess would be the Audi S5, Audi S4, Benz C63, Lexus ISF, Nissan GTR ( backseat not very good ) , Audi RS4 (preowned), Infiniti G37S, Volvo S80 V8. Obviously Porsche Cayman or 911 would be in here but you need a backseat.

Some options if you want to go American would be the GT500 which is a torque monster, or the Camaro V8 which puts out similar power to the M3 and is a great looking car IMHO. Although the M3 handles much better.

I say give the M another shot. Good luck !!!!
99 Lexus GS400 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

RS5?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #20
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

SMG, DCT, PDK, R-Tronic, machines and computers trying to replace the last remaining true driving pleasure left. I really feel that with today's laws, speeding is not much of an option so might as well have a bit of enjoyment trying - a manual car is better for me. Unless you live in Germany and/or your backyard is a track, 6spd. is just more fun, plain and simple - especially with those high revving engines. I tried them all (even owned one) and truth be told.. if you know how to drive a manual car its a skill you should cherish and never give up.

Rocking the car revving. Rolling and Revving.. Even A perfect rev match that you perform on the way down, all priceless experiences! Thank all the gods of the world, my wife drives stick!

BTW Greeney.. I remember you from way back when as the only person I knew that owned the M5 & M6. Best of luck with your choices.
      06-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

CTS-V's are inexpensive relative to what you're talking about, especially used, bigger than the M3, and faster than the C63, which is of course faster than the M3 in a straight line, and more comfortable with the adaptive magnetorheologic shocks, which is a much more sophisticated system than the EDC on the M's, and it's available in 6-speed manual. Worth a look.
      06-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #22
ShadeD1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 35i

I drove an Audi TT 3.2 with DSG (their dual clutch transmission) as my track car for 3 years and it was WAY laggier than the BMW.

The Audi's transmission was better than the M3's at slow speeds but on the track the Bimmer's is Much Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Even the newer models have lag. If I wasn't in an M I'd be in an S4.
Appreciate 0