BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Mummiez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330IX AC SCHNITZER ACS3

Old M3 first reviews anyone?

Hi
I have been invited to Nurnbergring by my BMW dealer to try out the new M3 the 18’th of November
Two days on the tracks with an instructor. Currently I own a 2006 330ix and have never set a foot in an M3 before so I have no idea what awaits me (Except for fun)
As you understand I'm seriously considering buying one, but will decide after the trip.

Has anybody got a copy or link the first reviews of the outgoing M3, could be fun to compare them with the new M3 reviews.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummiez View Post
Hi
I have been invited to Nurnbergring by my BMW dealer to try out the new M3 the 18’th of November
Two days on the tracks with an instructor. Currently I own a 2006 330ix and have never set a foot in an M3 before so I have no idea what awaits me (Except for fun)
As you understand I'm seriously considering buying one, but will decide after the trip.

Has anybody got a copy or link the first reviews of the outgoing M3, could be fun to compare them with the new M3 reviews.

thanks
RE: E46 M3 --
"...But we get the feeling BMW's M division could have gone one step further. In faster bends, there's a tad too much body roll, and a safe and secure nose-led stance which won't get you into trouble. The steering could also be slightly sharper and do with more feel, while the chassis would benefit from being set up to be even tauter and more agile to combat the inertia of this 1,570 kg machine. These are all 'ifs' and 'buts', though. BMW has sought to build the ultimate all-around super coupe, and to that extent it has succeeded, as the M3 is an eminently usable everyday car despite it's fantastic performance potential. What seems to be needed is some sort of stripped-out 'RS' or 'Club Sport' pack, like Porsche offers, with less toys, less weight and more focus to tighten everything up for serious enthusiasts who may like to take their pride and joy to the odd track day or two. ..."
-- Auto Express, Previews 9/21/00

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
"...But we get the feeling BMW's M division could have gone one step further. In faster bends, there's a tad too much body roll, and a safe and secure nose-led stance which won't get you into trouble. The steering could also be slightly sharper and do with more feel, while the chassis would benefit from being set up to be even tauter and more agile to combat the inertia of this 1,570 kg machine. These are all 'ifs' and 'buts', though. BMW has sought to build the ultimate all-around super coupe, and to that extent it has succeeded, as the M3 is an eminently usable everyday car despite it's fantastic performance potential. What seems to be needed is some sort of stripped-out 'RS' or 'Club Sport' pack, like Porsche offers, with less toys, less weight and more focus to tighten everything up for serious enthusiasts who may like to take their pride and joy to the odd track day or two. ..."
GOD NO!!!!

Well, it's official. I'm not buying an E46 M3. I'll get the McLaren F1 instead.

I really don't like the way the BMW M division is going. Soft soft soft.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

But it's ok for Auto Express to show concern that they should offer a slightly harder set-up but not for us who'd prefer that with the new car?
      07-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

The E46 M3 and CSL were in different leagues and price ranges.

It'll likely be the same for the E92.

It just shows that although some people had the same concerns about the E46 M3 as are being expressed about the E92 M3, the E46 M3 was a pretty decent car. Run of the mill, I know. Nothing special. A decent daily driver.

Everyone is way too quick to jump to full conclusions based on a few limited reviews. Just kinda silly. That's all. Typical youthful impatience.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

A clubsport package wouldn't take the place of the CSL, it would be like the CS upgrade on European M3s. It would just seem more sensible if M offered more choices for more types of buyers, which would keep everyone satisfied and boost sales by making sure those with slight concerns would have the option to 'tailor' it towards their tastes.
      07-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
kishg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 540i/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
A clubsport package wouldn't take the place of the CSL, it would be like the CS upgrade on European M3s. It would just seem more sensible if M offered more choices for more types of buyers, which would keep everyone satisfied and boost sales by making sure those with slight concerns would have the option to 'tailor' it towards their tastes.
that would be nice but it probably doesnt make financial sense for them to do so any longer. remember that 95% of purchasers will be fine with the car in it's standard form. The hard-core enthusiasts are going to mod the car to their heart's content anyways...
BMWCCA #360858 SCCA# 374179 NASA # 128290
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post
GOD NO!!!!

Well, it's official. I'm not buying an E46 M3. I'll get the McLaren F1 instead.

I really don't like the way the BMW M division is going. Soft soft soft.
Save the drama for your mama.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
Save the drama for your mama.
That's what I've been trying to say.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Mummiez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330IX AC SCHNITZER ACS3

Quote:

Thanks, I will let you know when I have beaten the 911 around the ring
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #11
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice, thanks

Quote:
I remember the words like this myself during the roll out but great to see a quote. Heck, I'd make this it's own topic. Perhaps add another similar one if you can locate it. Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I'm glad they ditched the raspy exhaust, it just always sounded like a defect. Those who need a more raw experience in the E92 M3 should just remove some sound insulation and loosen the engine mounts.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juzef View Post
The difference now, is that the E92 can be compared in every way to the outgoing E46 and new C63,RS5,ISF... All the reviews thus far are in agreement. The E92's handling, specifically its steering feel, is not as involving as the E46. They say explicitly, that the driving experience has been diminished relative the the E46. Why are you trying to play this down? These are the facts thus far. And they are clearly dissapointing where it counts most for the M3. Handling and the Driving Experience!!

Joseph
San Diego
So far they are not facts, just opinions, and they are not all in agreement. SteveD (Evo) said he likes the new M3 better than his CSL, and the Auto Bild test driver in that video that was posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAugtcSGw0s needs not translation to express his pleasure! These short hit opinions based on a few hours of exposure are just not convincing or coherent. I'm not jumping on the all is lost ship just yet. And, realistically, it will be a fantastic car for the way most of us drive and beyond.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0