BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Akrapovic Evolution with ESS Tune

Now updated to Gintani Sport Dual wall Valved Rear Section (black ceramic) with X-pipe and high flow cats.

Last edited by DaveDee; 09-17-2012 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Nice write-up and video! I had the same setup just before I supercharged and I loved it!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Huy
Rep
Drives: R34 GT-R

Nice read. The car looks and sounds fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

Great review and video Dave, very well explained and summarised.

I have the exact same setup as you, as you know. IMO a tune is essential if you have the Akra exhaust, it really brings out the best qualities.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
Great review and video Dave, very well explained and summarised.

I have the exact same setup as you, as you know. IMO a tune is essential if you have the Akra exhaust, it really brings out the best qualities.
Thanks for that Chris, it would be great if you have some pics or the carbon tips on yours you could add.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Good stuff mate, see all this time you were a car-modding hoon and didn't even know it! Good write up on the tune, I know Andrew has done a fair bit of work as well, with dyno's and getting tunes right. Most people seem to do a few things at once, so it's good to hear the tune alone is a good buy
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:01 AM   #7
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Those akra tips look badass!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i M sport

Slightly off topic.

But can someone answer this. The differences between the....

Akrapovic ESS tune and ESS's direct flash software?

Does the Akra ess tune still remove cold start cycles and top speed governor for instance like the DF does?

By my understanding the direct flash is the module obviously and that you send your ECU file to ess and they send it back and upload it.

How does the akrapovic ess tune work? In the same way? So how are they different if you get what i mean?

Sorry just a little confused
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Blackhawk View Post
Slightly off topic.

But can someone answer this. The differences between the....

Akrapovic ESS tune and ESS's direct flash software?

Does the Akra ess tune still remove cold start cycles and top speed governor for instance like the DF does?

By my understanding the direct flash is the module obviously and that you send your ECU file to ess and they send it back and upload it.

How does the akrapovic ess tune work? In the same way? So how are they different if you get what i mean?

Sorry just a little confused
The ESS tune may be done at ESS using their workshop programmer, but the ESS Direct flash unit is a handheld programming tool, available to customers outside the ESS workshops, that plugs into the vehicle OBDII port which allows access to the ECU.
If the ESS direct flash has not been used before (or is reset) it will read the firmware of the ECU and store it as a file (along with the VIN) which can be later transferred to your PC (via a USB connection) to a communications program supplied by ESS.
The file is then saved and sent by email to ESS where alterations are made to the ECU firmware to enhance performance, just like a ”remote tune”.
When the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust system is fitted the gas flow and performance changes substantially, plus the factory cats are replaced by small high flow cats that do not use the O2 sensors where the factory cats used to be. The change in performance to the car by the exhaust system, the lack of stock cats and the error (CEL) caused by the absence of stock cats are taken into account by the ESS tune when the Akrapovic Evolution (not the Akrapovic slip on system) is fitted .
The modified ECU firmware is emailed back to you, loaded into your hand held ESS direct flash unit via the PC software/USB cable. You then take the ESS Direct flash back to the car, plug it in to the OBDll port and upload the modified ECU file. If the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust modification is included in the file the cold start cycle will be removed as there are no longer any factory cats to preheat. Much smoother start. Hope that covers it. Andrew at Southern BM is a supplier of these kits and is an expert in this area. He also does the tune on site if you prefer. If you are purchasing the Akrapovic Evolution and are going to tune the car you don’t need to purchase the “delete-R” module.

Last edited by DaveDee; 11-24-2011 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Very good write up and congratulation on a very nice looking car. Happy driving.
      11-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
Erik@EVL
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
The ESS tune may be done at ESS using their workshop programmer, but the ESS Direct flash unit is a handheld programming tool, available to customers outside the ESS workshops, that plugs into the vehicle OBDII port which allows access to the ECU.
If the ESS direct flash has not been used before (or is reset) it will read the firmware of the ECU and store it as a file (along with the VIN) which can be later transferred to your PC (via a USB connection) to a communications program supplied by ESS.
The file is then saved and sent by email to ESS where alterations are made to the ECU firmware to enhance performance, just like a ”remote tune”.
When the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust system is fitted the gas flow and performance changes substantially, plus the factory cats are replaced by small high flow cats that do not use the O2 sensors where the factory cats used to be. The change in performance to the car by the exhaust system, the lack of stock cats and the error (CEL) caused by the absence of stock cats are taken into account by the ESS tune when the Akrapovic Evolution (not the Akrapovic slip on system) is fitted .
The modified ECU firmware is emailed back to you, loaded into your hand held ESS direct flash unit via the PC software/USB cable. You then take the ESS Direct flash back to the car, plug it in to the OBDll port and upload the modified ECU file. If the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust modification is included in the file the cold start cycle will be removed as there are no longer any factory cats to preheat. Much smoother start. Hope that covers it. Andrew at Southern BM is a supplier of these kits and is an expert in this area. He also does the tune on site if you prefer. If you are purchasing the Akrapovic Evolution and are going to tune the car you don’t need to purchase the “delete-R” module.
Hi DaveDee,

Great write up and glad you are happy with the Akrapovic. You are very right, if you are tuning the car when using the Evolution, then you won't need the Delet-R - just always make sure the CEL check is removed in the tune. But if you are not wanting to tune it for what ever reason the Delet-R is the easiest way to stop you check engine light coming on because of the hi flow CATS. Its a plug in job and its made so you can update away at your BMW service without needing to reflash. Got to admit I do like the ESS Direct Flash from Andrew

Cheers
Erik
      11-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@EVL View Post
Hi DaveDee,

Great write up and glad you are happy with the Akrapovic. You are very right, if you are tuning the car when using the Evolution, then you won't need the Delet-R - just always make sure the CEL check is removed in the tune. But if you are not wanting to tune it for what ever reason the Delet-R is the easiest way to stop you check engine light coming on because of the hi flow CATS. Its a plug in job and its made so you can update away at your BMW service without needing to reflash. Got to admit I do like the ESS Direct Flash from Andrew

Cheers
Erik
Hi Erik

Thanks for your input. Do you have any pics of the carbon tips you can post? Are the highly polished tips still available. The stock titanium is really nice but it would be good to see some photos of alternatives posted
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
Veratyr
Dr. Drive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E92

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Would the Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust system pass emissions testing?
2009 BMW M3 E92/space gray metallic/VT2-600 ESS Supercharger/extended silver novillo leather/performance carbon fiber interior trim/DCT/BMW performance spoiler/19" Volk TE37SL wheels in pressed graphite.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veratyr View Post
Would the Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust system pass emissions testing?
Don't think so. I'm pretty sure the slip on system does though. I guess most after market systems either fail noise or emissions levels.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #15
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Hi Erik

Thanks for your input. Do you have any pics of the carbon tips you can post? Are the highly polished tips still available. The stock titanium is really nice but it would be good to see some photos of alternatives posted
Hi Dave, these are the ones on my 1M that Andrew added on Friday.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #16
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i M sport

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up bud
Appreciate 0