BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #23
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
In Germany MDrive Manager is an option which you can only get when you also order a NAV (to tell the truth in that case you also have to choose MDrive). So without NAV you don't get the MDrive Manager. Without you can't programm the M button on the steering wheel. Only thing you always get are the buttons on centre console...

Best regards, south
Well....Sh#t!

Jason
      05-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #24
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
In Germany MDrive Manager is an option which you can only get when you also order a NAV (to tell the truth in that case you also have to choose MDrive). So without NAV you don't get the MDrive Manager. Without you can't programm the M button on the steering wheel. Only thing you always get are the buttons on centre console...

Best regards, south
Thanks for posting....

Yeah imagine playing around with the center console buttons at the stoplight. Also, there is a mode in M5 / M6 called P500S which is full power with the fastest engine response rate....

I haven't seen a "Sport" button on the E92 M3 so if there is an "S" mode, it will need to get done through iDrive.
      05-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #25
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Didn't the CSL have an 'M button' and that didn't have a screen.
      05-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #26
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post

Since "The CSL" is your handle, you should know everything about the CSL

BMW USA just announced (late last week) that they are "almost" disabling DSC for the 6 speed manual M5 / M6s. The relevance to this thread is the DSC button will be a 3 way button. I guess they could do that for the new M3.

But man it is so much easier to configure once and hit the "M" button on the steering wheel when you want some joy.
      05-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #27
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Thanks for posting....

Yeah imagine playing around with the center console buttons at the stoplight. Also, there is a mode in M5 / M6 called P500S which is full power with the fastest engine response rate....

I haven't seen a "Sport" button on the E92 M3 so if there is an "S" mode, it will need to get done through iDrive.
There are three throttle mapping settings of which you can acces two via the POWER button, the third (equivalent to P500S) is only accessible via M-Drive, also only with MDrive you can have the two different stering settings.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #28
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
The M Button on the CSL was a DSC switch. By hitting that button you enter M Dynamic mode.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #29
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Well all I can say is I persnally only need one button for full blown (open hells gates) power and suspension. It would be nice if there was just daily mode and afterburner mode... wishful thinking. Looks like programming Idrive will be the only option....

Jason
      05-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #30
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

One can only baulk at having to faff around with setting up the car through iDrive menus to be at its best. God damn, M, gimme it at its best from the day I buy it. It's terribly geeky to sit there like a computer programmer and set-it up for optimum response. That should be their job, not mine.

God bless my E36 without any driving aids.
      05-15-2007, 04:05 AM   #31
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
One can only baulk at having to faff around with setting up the car through iDrive menus to be at its best. God damn, M, gimme it at its best from the day I buy it. It's terribly geeky to sit there like a computer programmer and set-it up for optimum response. That should be their job, not mine.

Depends what you define as 'best'.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #32
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Try it before you judge it.
      05-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #33
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Try it before you judge it.
True, since I dont own a car with Idrive nor have even sat in a new M5/M6 with all the Idrive performance features, I dont know much.

However, I have driven a 335i with Idrive and Nav and found it cool (a neat thing to show my buddies) but the Nav screen in the 3's clutters the dash board.

PS: Idrive is a love it or hate it device. However, most reviewers hate it hate it hate it. The Top Gear reviews of the M5 and M6 are actually funny. However, I am aware Clarkson is an A$$ and never gives BMW much credit.

Jason
      05-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #34
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

I have used iDrive, it was a cinch. I've also been passengered in Autocar's silver M6 long-termer last year, which had been already set-up to extract its best through the M-button. All I'm saying is, not all of us see the M3 as just a 'nice car' that's brilliant. To me, a car is there to be driven hard and my current driving is heavily stacked in favour of hard driving. Therefore, it wouldn't be too difficult for M to do a version without Nav, iDrive and all the M-functions, just have it set to the optimum setting all of the time. That is part of what I've been calling for, a Clubsport package that gives lightweight seats and less creature comforts, GT3 style. If M are so serious about their 'hardcore' image, then their cars should offer that way for the customers who want that.
      05-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #35
911 Now
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 m3

Nav systems are for pizza delivery cars. Do you really need them to get around ? No.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #36
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have used iDrive, it was a cinch. I've also been passengered in Autocar's silver M6 long-termer last year, which had been already set-up to extract its best through the M-button. All I'm saying is, not all of us see the M3 as just a 'nice car' that's brilliant. To me, a car is there to be driven hard and my current driving is heavily stacked in favour of hard driving. Therefore, it wouldn't be too difficult for M to do a version without Nav, iDrive and all the M-functions, just have it set to the optimum setting all of the time. That is part of what I've been calling for, a Clubsport package that gives lightweight seats and less creature comforts, GT3 style. If M are so serious about their 'hardcore' image, then their cars should offer that way for the customers who want that.
Word, Porsche's 911 gets around just fine with just one button and two modes... fast and comfy or faster and stiffer

Jason
      05-16-2007, 02:27 AM   #37
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Now View Post
Nav systems are for pizza delivery cars. Do you really need them to get around ? No.
Sorry man but that is crap and nothing but your isolated opinion. Just replace the "you" with "I" then you will look less foolish. If any of the below apply to you you can get quite some use and less stress from Nav.

1. You like to try new places (entertainment, restos, etc.)
2. You live in a big city
3. You use your car for business travel
4. You would rather plan your trip in your car rather than on your PC
5. You or your gf/wife are not so hot with directions
6. etc., etc., etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 02:36 AM   #38
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
I-drive is nice to have, but not neccessary on the M3 since it's usually a weekend car unless you're a real estate agent.
If a M3, I'll probably get ZPP/ZSP. If a 335, I'll get ZPP, ZSP, navi.
      05-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #39
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender View Post
I-drive is nice to have, but not neccessary on the M3 since it's usually a weekend car unless you're a real estate agent.
this thread just continues to degenerate......

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #40
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

You will not likely have a choice but once you get an LCD screen / Nav, you won't go back.

I was driving once in another city and really felt like a Dairy Queen milkshake.... Pulled it up on the Nav and received directions in under a minute.
      05-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #41
Caravello
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

I'll be special-ordering a model big on performance options and light on convenience items. More stuff to break. The nav system, built in phone, all the doo dads, etc. Even my 2004 M3 is starting to show little signs of wear and I barely drive it, but the glue in the sunroof visor gave out and the materials/adhesives holding the door upholstery and finish are loosening. The leather is thinning in parts on the driver seat.

Except for electronic seats and a sunroof I will be saying No to all the creature comforts. Because if you ever try to sell it, all it takes is one broken doo dad to stigmatize the car. Not that I plan to sell it. I wil be keeping my 2004 M3 because I think it will be a classic. It has only like 19,000 miles on it after three years. I don't want to go over 25K on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #42
M3_2010
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I have come to realize lately that a skimpy, on options, E92 M3 may be the way that I am gonna lean. Two big ones come to mind that I have decided that I dont need nor really want.

1. Navigation-I hope I can get an M3 without Nav. I read an article recently that talked about Nav systems and resale value. Basically the article said that factory Nav systems go out of date in only a few years. And, made the obvious note that most of us dont need one. They instead praised portable systems that can be easily upgraded and removed from the car the daily grind. Not to mention that the Nav system clutters the dash. Plus, do I really need Nav in a performance car? I guess I dont really care about resale value but I do care about paying 1-3k for something that I am not going to need and that in 5yrs is going to be way out of date.

2. I think I am gonna ditch the DSG/DST in favor the 6spd MT. Mostly, this is for the drivers experience. I plan on driving both versions to solidify my decision before purchase but I bet I will like the MT better.

Finally, for a purist, isnt it better to get your sports car stripped down anyway? I dont know about you, but I love my little E36 M3 for the drivers experience not for all the little "doo dads" and luxuries. I would have gotten cloth seats if I could have. Driving my little M around yesturday also made me realize that I dont need the DSG just because it may be .2-.3 seconds faster.

Thoughts?

Jason
Manual is a good idea.... However, this will be a totally different car.... For better or worse... you will be the judge.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #43
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
You serious?? Why would anyone buy an M3 as a weekend car, it is an everday car that you can also enjoy at the weekend. A CSL I can understand as a weekend car, a GT3 I understand as a weekend car, Lotus I understamd as a weekend car, TVR? yeah, but an M3??
It is a comfortable german coupe, with comfortable seats, all the toys you ever need and good for 200k miles.

If you buy one of these you have to use it.
Appreciate 0