BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Stuttgart?

I am seeking to leverage the power of E90post. After 18 years of military service the Army has finally decided to send me to Europe

I have some questions..if any members are currently in Germany...I know there are.

1. How many vehicles are authorized shipment from CONUS?

2. What is the housing situation like in the Stuttgart area? Can I expect to live off post or on post? Does the service member have an option to live on the economy?

3. Pets///If you came from CONUS with pets how did you do it? Any tips that can make the transition easier?

4. Non Concurent Travel? Is it advisable to have me move forward first then have my family members join me a few weeks later? Or, can we all move as one happy (a relative term when PCSing) unit?

5. Silly question...is there an active BMW club in the Stuttgart area? I assume it's like being an Aggie & living in Austin.

Thanks
      01-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
To answer your questions...here we go:

1. 1 on the governments expense, the second and third vehicles you need to ship at your own expense...if its a BMW...I'd prolly ship it using a commercial carrier and the other car with the govt.

2. Housing will depend on rank and amount of family members. I'm a single O, so housing for me was off-post...but to my understanding, if there is room available for on post housing then you'll get on post housing...if not...then you'll be living off post. Youre best bet is to contact your sponsor and find out what the housing situation is.

3. I went thru Luftansa to ship my pet. Youre best bet is to ship the pet after youve gotten housing...thats what I did with my dalmatian...comming from the VA and fortunately there was a Luftansa hub there...just make sure your pet(s) are kennel trained...I used a commercial flyer to ship my dog over and they will fill you in on what shots/pet passport they will need

4. There are BMW clubs all over Germany...including Stuttgart....the heart of Merc and Porsche country...I belong to M-Flight Club...and we're an all M-Vehicle club based all over Germany...so I'm sure you can find either an american or german BMW club there in Stuttgart

Anymore questions...feel free to PM me
      01-29-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

If your pet (dog) is considered aggressive/dangerous forget taking it to Germany. I just left there after 5 years. I was at Pope prior. Animal clinic on post has all the answers. Go there.

I'm a member of M-Flight too...even though I departed 6 months ago.