BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Faceman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SSII FR

Cold Weather Effects?

I live in Atlanta and the weather recently starting getting a bit cooler, mid 30's or so at night. Took the M out the other night for an early Christmas party and she was parked outside for maybe 2 hours.

When I came out and started the car, I received several immediate errors...most importantly the tire pressure had changed in the front right tire. I also received a message about the bluetooth not being able to pair and the cold weather message.

Could the cold weather cause the tire pressure error? I reset it and it has not come back on....

Any advice about other cold weather experiences would be appreciated. My car is garaged otherwise and this is really the first cold weather it has experienced.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Check your tire pressures as the weather gets colder.
Other than that, there are no issues with the car that are temperature based.

Try leaving any car outside in -20 degree weather, then start asking questions about why the doors don't close the same or why the engine is in limp mode. All sorts of weird a$$ $hit used to happen to my RS6 when I had it in Minnesota.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

What was your tire pressure before the weather got cool? If it was right at 32 or 33 psi and then the temps drop a little, that's all it would take to trigger the tire pressure warning. Tire pressure should be checked on a regular basis. Bluetooth shouldn't have anything to do with temp... shit happens and that was most likely just a coincidence. Temp warning happens at 37 degrees and is normal, not an error message.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
I live in Atlanta and the weather recently starting getting a bit cooler, mid 30's or so at night. Took the M out the other night for an early Christmas party and she was parked outside for maybe 2 hours.

When I came out and started the car, I received several immediate errors...most importantly the tire pressure had changed in the front right tire. I also received a message about the bluetooth not being able to pair and the cold weather message.

Could the cold weather cause the tire pressure error? I reset it and it has not come back on....

Any advice about other cold weather experiences would be appreciated. My car is garaged otherwise and this is really the first cold weather it has experienced.

Thanks
My M is a daily driver, and for me that means even in the Twin Cites (Minnesota). This will be my second winter with the M3 and I can assure you the car is more than capable as I've seen temps to -30F.

As previously noted, one must be aware and pay attention to the tire pressure changes with low temps, but the TMPS system does work well if mindful. Remember, BMW originates from Bavaria where winters are in fact cold, so it's designed with adequate capability, especially compared to ATL winters .

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post

Thanks
You should also be aware that your tires are considered high performance summer tires... the compound starts getting pretty hard under 40 degrees so don't expect the same grip you are used to at higher temps. Other than that, it's a car like any other and you'll never see temps in Atlanta that should be a problem for any car, let alone one designed for and by Germans. Mid 30's would be considered a heat wave by a lot of us.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
You should also be aware that your tires are considered high performance summer tires... the compound starts getting pretty hard under 40 degrees so don't expect the same grip you are used to at higher temps. Other than that, it's a car like any other and you'll never see temps in Atlanta that should be a problem for any car, let alone one designed for and by Germans. Mid 30's would be considered a heat wave by a lot of us.
...yeah, true statement; however, for ATL one may consider a set of ultra-high performance all season tires at best.
Believe me they'll work year-round, that's what I use for MN winters.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

The cold weather warning is normal, I believe it does that when it's below 37 degrees.

I had a similar problem with mine and a "TPM Malfunction" error. They first night I left it parked out when the temps were below 30 (I was working late) I got the "TPM Malfuction" when I started the car, and it kept beeping every 20sec (literally!). I went to the closest gas station and check the pressure, all the tires were at 30psi, so I filled them up since the fronts should be 32psi, and the rears 35psi and I reset the TPM.

It still did it all the way home, where I parked it in the garage. When I left the next day it was fine. Then that next night I had to work late again and the same thing happened when I left "TPM Malfunction" every 20sec, beep, beep, beep. I checked the tires again but they were the same lvls from when I filled them the night before.

I haven't driven the car since then because it has snowed now, but I was starting to think it has to be related to the compound of those tires and it being so cold (20's), but curious what the "experts" say about that.
      12-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizman7 View Post
The cold weather warning is normal, I believe it does that when it's below 37 degrees.

I had a similar problem with mine and a "TPM Malfunction" error. They first night I left it parked out when the temps were below 30 (I was working late) I got the "TPM Malfuction" when I started the car, and it kept beeping every 20sec (literally!). I went to the closest gas station and check the pressure, all the tires were at 30psi, so I filled them up since the fronts should be 32psi, and the rears 35psi and I reset the TPM.

It still did it all the way home, where I parked it in the garage. When I left the next day it was fine. Then that next night I had to work late again and the same thing happened when I left "TPM Malfunction" every 20sec, beep, beep, beep. I checked the tires again but they were the same lvls from when I filled them the night before.

I haven't driven the car since then because it has snowed now, but I was starting to think it has to be related to the compound of those tires and it being so cold (20's), but curious what the "experts" say about that.
Don't know where you got it that the front tires should be 32; that's the absolute minimum they should be thus the tpm warning comes in just less than 32. I keep all of mine at least 35 and usually closer to 38-40. Nothing complicated about it... if your tires are right at 32 psi and the temp drops 20 degrees less than it was, your tires will be at 31 psi and you will get the tpm warning.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi

Quote:
Don't know where you got it that the front tires should be 32; that's the absolute minimum they should be thus the tpm warning comes in just less than 32. I keep all of mine at least 35 and usually closer to 38-40. Nothing complicated about it... if your tires are right at 32 psi and the temp drops 10 or 20 degrees less than it was, your tires will be at 31 psi and you will get the tpm warning.
open your door:-) and look on the door jam- 32-35 psi inflated.
      12-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #10
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

Quote:
Don't know where you got it that the front tires should be 32; that's the absolute minimum they should be thus the tpm warning comes in just less than 32. I keep all of mine at least 35 and usually closer to 38-40. Nothing complicated about it... if your tires are right at 32 psi and the temp drops 10 or 20 degrees less than it was, your tires will be at 31 psi and you will get the tpm warning.
I believe I got it from the sticker right inside the driver side door for OEM 19" wheels. Also I've been running them at 32psi front and 35psi rear for almost a year now with no TPM warnings, though I have had to fill them up from time to time.

But see it's not a TPM warning. I have seen a warning once when one tire got way lower than the others, and it actually said something like "hey the passenger rear tire is low", but this issue says on the iDrive "TPM Malfunction!".

Also the TPM doesn't know the psi of any the tires, it just can tell if there is difference in pressure of one tire compared to the others. If they all go down equally it won't say a thing to you. Which is why they tell you to still check the tire pressure regularly, despite having a TPM system.
      12-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #11
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well, tpm warning comes in at 31. That's been the case for this and my previous 2 cars. If you want to keep your tires at 32, be my guest, but expect tpm warnings as air slowly bleeds away and, as lots of people are finding out this time of year, when it gets colder. I'm just passing on what I've learned from experience. 32 is the minimum, so, as should be the case, if the pressure goes below the minimum, you get a warning. Just common sense to stay above the minimum, not at the minimum. Technically, it's ok to run oil level right at the minimum all the time, but is it a good idea? No.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #12
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizman7 View Post
I believe I got it from the sticker right inside the driver side door for OEM 19" wheels. Also I've been running them at 32psi front and 35psi rear for almost a year now with no TPM warnings, though I have had to fill them up from time to time.

But see it's not a TPM warning. I have seen a warning once when one tire got way lower than the others, and it actually said something like "hey the passenger rear tire is low", but this issue says on the iDrive "TPM Malfunction!".

Also the TPM doesn't know the psi of any the tires, it just can tell if there is difference in pressure of one tire compared to the others. If they all go down equally it won't say a thing to you. Which is why they tell you to still check the tire pressure regularly, despite having a TPM system.
OK, Malfunction is different from low pressure warning. I didn't catch that earlier. Don't know what that's about. But my point about staying above 32 psi is still valid, in my opinion. Several other posts asking about low tire pressure when the weather turns cold.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #13
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

I had the low tire pressure warning go on this week. Monday was the left tire and Thursday on the right tire. Filled it up to 33 psi and it went away each time.

I keep on getting the "left daytime running lights/ brake lamp malfunction" error msg. every time the temps went below 37 degrees. My friends think I'm losing my mind when I repeatedly ask them to help me check my lights. Anyone else get this error message? It gets pretty damn annoying!
      12-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
I had the low tire pressure warning go on this week. Monday was the left tire and Thursday on the right tire. Filled it up to 33 psi and it went away each time.

I keep on getting the "left daytime running lights/ brake lamp malfunction" error msg. every time the temps went below 37 degrees. My friends think I'm losing my mind when I repeatedly ask them to help me check my lights. Anyone else get this error message? It gets pretty damn annoying!
There's a service bulletin on this issue (design change). Take the car into your SA to get it resolved. For me, the lights were actually always functioning properly.
for more info...

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #15
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
There's a service bulletin on this issue (design change). Take the car into your SA to get it resolved. For me, the lights were actually always functioning properly.
for more info...
Really? I can't seem to find it.
      12-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

No problems here, -31C or colder right now

Car is awesome in the cold
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I had a DSC error message as well as a reduced power message the first day it got below 30 here in Massachusetts. Later that same day my nav screen went pink and then stopped working. All the problems went away after a restart and I have not had any problems since then.
      12-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Bluetooth should definitely work in the cold. That's what it was designed for. After all, they don't call it bluetooth for nothing.

Seriously, fill up the tires with a bit more air then wait and see if the problems persist. Germans love their technology and this car is full of it. Little gremlins will show up every now and then. If they persist, or if you think it's a dangerous situation then take it in to your SA. I wish I could offer more encouragement, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.
      12-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #19
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

wow no kidding about tire pressure losses, I went away on vacation for 2.5 weeks and everyday it was around freezing.

when I got back, the right front tire was down to 25 psi!

I just filled it again, I'll check to make sure I don't have a nail too. It's unbelievable it'll drop that low in 2.5 weeks. The car is in the garage too.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #20
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
...yeah, true statement; however, for ATL one may consider a set of ultra-high performance all season tires at best.
Tell me where the hell I can buy some in stock 19 sizes . Have been looking for a set since car was new to no avail. Heck, even high performance all-season would be a lot better for me than max summer performance. Not everybody needs a freaking track tire.

Talking about bluetooth, got that error the other day, and it wasn't even close to freezing. But phone worked fine, so guess it was just if you wanted to pair another. Have gotten quite a bit of weird warnings and gremlins since new, but never more than once. Hope it stays that way with the bluetooth as well. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #21
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Check your tire pressures as the weather gets colder.
Other than that, there are no issues with the car that are temperature based.

Try leaving any car outside in -20 degree weather, then start asking questions about why the doors don't close the same or why the engine is in limp mode. All sorts of weird a$$ $hit used to happen to my RS6 when I had it in Minnesota.
heh, plastic parts on a Ford Taurus rental car would just snap in half in frigid Minnesota winter. Became too brittle when the temp got to 40 below.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #22
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
when I got back, the right front tire was down to 25 psi!
If they were at 32, that sounds like more than temp fluctation. Like an actual slow leak.

Also, doesn't the TPMS register changes from the values once you reset it, as opposed to differential values amongst the tires?