BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

09-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Do YOU cut corners?

Hiya,

I'm in Europe, so here we drive on the right (steering wheel is on the left). I always get fed up when I'm approaching a right turn, only to find a car taking up half of my lane... Usually, this ends up with me braking/stopping...

I've considered doing several things. First of all, I believe cutting corners can increase safety, however only if it's done at the right time and place. However, there are often times when I see drivers doing it plain wrong: they leave me no room to drive through the right turn.

My question is: what do I do? Do I hold my path and try to go past and crash into the other car if there's no more room? I.e. can I rely on the other driver to move over as soon as he sees me? Also, when approaching a right turn, I have considered driving over the dotted line to straighten out the corner when approaching it - however, what will the guy coming the opposite way think?

So, should I cut corners or not? Do you do it? Do you find it safer? Or are you just too lazy to turn the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Nobody should cut corners, ever. At least not at the hilarious speeds I've seen people corner at. Apexing is for VERY high speeds only. I don't have that problem here.
      09-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

I don't. It's not necessary on the roads unless you're going faster than you can handle, and that's exactly how it looks when someone can't stay within their lane.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
if you aren't in the inner lane around a bend, DO NOT CUT CORNERS.
i consistently pass people on freeway ramps and round abouts, and there isn't much on the road that annoys me more than someone shifting over into my lane as i pass them, causing me to brake hard just to avoid them hitting me.

if you want the shorter curve, then get in the correct lane before the bend.
Appreciate 0