BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Dinan mufflers and appalling service

I have had the Dinan mufflers on order for my e92 M3 for over two weeks. Initially they were out of stock when their 20% off sale started, and after speaking to my dealer and also Dinan correctly we came to find out that the mufflers were in the process of being built and that they were completed being made this past Friday (March 26).

At that time Dinan told me and also my dealer that they are ready to go and will be packaged over the weekend. Further, they stated that they WILL ship on either Monday or Tuesday (yesterday). Yesterday when my dealer called Dinan he was told that they are still working on one of the mufflers (don't remember if it was drivers or passengers side). I was like WTF they said they were all ready to go on Friday. I left Dinan a message a few days ago and NEVER received a call back. My dealer has also left a few messages with no definite time given on when these will ship out. Finally today I was able to get a hold of Chris at Dinan and was told that they are undergoing QC and he was not able to answer if they were packaged yet and ready to be shipped.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that in over two weeks they are unable to make a set of mufflers for the e92 M3 especially given they are running a 20% off sale on their products. Normally I would not say shit but I am moving next week to Arizona from Seattle and am driving my car down. I obviously need to have a set of mufflers on my car since my stock muffler has the pipes hacked when I was running the Eisenmann Race. It also pisses me off because I have had a local buyer for my Gintani Sport for the past three weeks and we have been waiting on these Dinan mufflers to get in so I can take the Gintani ones off (car is a dd). Now I have not heard back from the buyer for the past 4-5 days. Anyone else experience such issues with Dinan? Is this common for them? Seems their customer service is lacking to say the least...
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

LOL

This is the tuning business dude...nothing ever gets done on time.
      03-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
LOL

I was thinking the same thing. Try and get a Supersprint exhaust, or a Remus, or Eisenman when demand is high. Besides, I thought Dinan exhausts were crap and nobody is even interested in them...
      03-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I'm surprised the Gintani Sport is STILL that loud with x pipes that you can't bare it on your DD. Keeps me undecisive on my choice of Axle-Back to buy for my set of RPi X-Pipes.
And my advice with the Dinan situation; just chill. As stated, this IS the tuning business. Nothing every runs as planned. I'm sure you'll get your exhaust before you move!
      03-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
I think it is absolutely ridiculous that in over two weeks they are unable to make a set of mufflers for the e92 M3 especially given they are running a 20% off sale on their products.
With discounted products they will have heavier sales, and they could quickly run out of stock. There is little reason to expect that shipments would arrive sooner than under normal circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm3k View Post
I'm surprised the Gintani Sport is STILL that loud with x pipes that you can't bare it on your DD. Keeps me undecisive on my choice of Axle-Back to buy for my set of RPi X-Pipes.
And my advice with the Dinan situation; just chill. As stated, this IS the tuning business. Nothing every runs as planned. I'm sure you'll get your exhaust before you move!
It's very tough to chill when I have a week left before I am DRIVING my car from Seattle to Arizona and need to get an exhaust put on for obvious reasons to make the drive down. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it may ship today. On a side note, the service given by Gintani has been the exact opposite to this. They were great to deal with and had the exhaust shipped on time (all you guys saying nothing ever gets done on time in the tuning business). It's just too bad that the sport mufflers are too loud for my taste paired with the high flow cats and x-pipe I am running...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm3k View Post
I never said that I can't bear it. There are just circumstances when it is too loud. It is not quiet enough on a consistant basis to converse with my wife in the car or talk on bluetooth. The Gintani Sport is about 30% quiter than the Eisenmann Race. I am looking for something about 50%+ quieter than the Eisenmann Race so I think the Dinan will fit the bill...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
With discounted products they will have heavier sales, and they could quickly run out of stock. There is little reason to expect that shipments would arrive sooner than under normal circumstances.
+1

Don't expect them to make make it as soon as you order it. Like Griz said 20% off must have bumped up the orders for the mufflers. Also in case you didn't know they make the mufflers IN shop. I live 15 min away from Dinan in morgan hill and trust me the shop is big but not as big as a plant that makes exhausts like eisenmann or companies that have their mufflers made in china. Give it time. You are getting a real good quality product.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
+1

Don't expect them to make make it as soon as you order it. Like Griz said 20% off must have bumped up the orders for the mufflers. Also in case you didn't know they make the mufflers IN shop. I live 15 min away from Dinan in morgan hill and trust me the shop is big but not as big as a plant that makes exhausts like eisenmann or companies that have their mufflers made in china. Give it time. You are getting a real good quality product.
Well if they don't get here next week how do you guys expect me to drive my car down? Straight pipes no mufflers? I guess worst case scenario I need to find a shop that can weld the stock rear pipes onto my stock muffler and then have Dinan ship the mufflers to Arizona. But man that would be such a pain in the ass because I am not taking any of my tools or lifting equipment to AZ until our house up here in Seattle sells...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
carbonbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

ya performance parts never seem to come in on time. I waited a year for my stupid kreis seig exhaust for my e46 but that ordeal went to court also
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

why cant you drive down with the gintani?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

That stinks man...hope you get your mufflers soon. Did you buy through Seattle BMW (or Bellevue dealer)?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
LOL

How true it is. I've been waiting for over a month for my Meisterschaft GT.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Well if they don't get here next week how do you guys expect me to drive my car down? Straight pipes no mufflers? I guess worst case scenario I need to find a shop that can weld the stock rear pipes onto my stock muffler and then have Dinan ship the mufflers to Arizona. But man that would be such a pain in the ass because I am not taking any of my tools or lifting equipment to AZ until our house up here in Seattle sells...
It's a less than ideal situation, but you have to make do with what you have. I hope it works out.

Drop by ESS's shop for a tune, they might install the muffler for free. I'm sure they would if you bought a supercharger.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I've never done business with Dinan but had several occasions when calls were not returned. I feel your pain. It is so much better to underpromise and overdeliver.

I do see how you could think your setup is a little loud. It was loud as we were leaving the parking lot of Fat Burgers last Sunday and I was in my car with the windows up. Wouldn't work for me. I ordered the Akrapovic Evolution.
      03-31-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

lesson learned... don't purchase anything unless vendor has it in stock.
      03-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #17
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
why cant you drive down with the gintani?
Because I have a local buyer for it and will be selling it to him before my move down to AZ next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #18
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I've never done business with Dinan but had several occasions when calls were not returned. I feel your pain. It is so much better to underpromise and overdeliver.

I do see how you could think your setup is a little loud. It was loud as we were leaving the parking lot of Fat Burgers last Sunday and I was in my car with the windows up. Wouldn't work for me. I ordered the Akrapovic Evolution.
Thanks for the kind words. I definitely agree on the underpromise and overdeliver. Congrats on the Akra!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #19
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

I had to wait more than 6 months to get rebates from them when I purchased several products from them last year. It took several phone calls and then an email stating that I would have to take legal action for them to finally get a rebate check in the mail to me.

As others have said, it is the nature of the business. At least they are doing a QC instead of just letting products ship right out.

We will have to meet up when you get to AZ!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #20
Cali convertible
Cali convertible
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 DCT convertible

Some of these manufactures and dealers are flakes, no I mean most of them. Milltek is the worst. Hang in there brother. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
mike33176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez/ Black, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Active Autowerkes is just as bad. I swear to God I called them 10 times about their x-pipe and hfcs, they never answered any of my questions. I even asked them to call me when they were done making more, never received a call. Same shit happened when I wanted to buy an exhaust from them. Needless to say, I'm happy with IND they are on top of their shit.

Hope you get your exhaust soon. You can always driving around with no mufflers..
That's interesting, every time I call Active Autowerke, I'm able to speak to someone. I'm close to pulling the trigger on their X-Pipe and I've called them about 7 times in the last 2 weeks with various questions and was able to speak to someone and had my questions answered immediately. My experience has been the exact opposite of yours with AA.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #22
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
This industry is fully of delays it seems..

I've ordered stuff where it took so long I forgot I ordered it when it gets delivered 6 months later lolz..

It's frustrating as hell but we are at their mercy if we want the part... sometimes it makes me very hesitant to even put an order in anywhere because things take so long..
Appreciate 0