BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
shagkie
Captain
Rep
Drives: a....V8

BMW Assist

anyone renewed theirs? I got a renewal letter but not sure if it's worth it. I kind of like the vehicle recovery feature and also that if I got knocked out during an accident someone might come and help me but thats about it
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

No I havent renewed yet - but only because it keeps slipping my mind. I do plan on it - figure the peace of mind is worth it and its not expensive in my mind - spend more in month on coffee! (Maybe even a week! )
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
ep99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I definitely would renew if expired.

As you said, the Stolen Vehicle Recovery option is handy...almost like lojack.
And i was thinking about getting lojack before i purchased the car.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

And the my-info aspect of sending address directly to your I-drive from your computer or blackberry is kind of cool!

And the concierge service does come in handy too!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I would renew it if they allowed me to send addresses from my computer but this is not available on US 08 models.

If hte car does get stolen, coudlnt you just call up and say.. activate it!

I havent used it once.. kind of weird to call a stranger. I have been tempted to call though.. just to say hi.
      10-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
shagkie
Captain
Rep

The women on the other end of the line are quite friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
I would renew it if they allowed me to send addresses from my computer but this is not available on US 08 models.

If hte car does get stolen, coudlnt you just call up and say.. activate it!

I havent used it once.. kind of weird to call a stranger. I have been tempted to call though.. just to say hi.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie View Post
The women on the other end of the line are quite friendly
They are sitting on the other side of the world, thats why
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
yalag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

What is the concierge feature? Also, how do you use the my-info data sending?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
They are sitting on the other side of the world, thats why
They never met you in person yet
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
revmmm
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3 Cab SSII

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
I tried using it a few times on my wife's X5 and I was not impressed at all so I let it expire. My thought on the matter is if my car is stolen, I DON'T want it back, especially if there is a bit of damage, you know the old saying "drive it like you stole it!"

Anyways, CAA (gold) is much cheaper and they flatbed your vehicle anywhere, so as long as you don;t minding using your phone instead of the button on the roof it is a much better option. When I called BMW assist they were not helpful (probably because the dealer never set up the vehicle correctly) and when they towed our truck they left me with my wife and 2 kids (1 and 3 years old) stranded on the side of a road (well actually in a parking lot) because the tow truck could only sit one passenger. When I asked them how they were going to "assist" me, they said that was my problem as they had taken care of the car. The lady on the phone told me to "call a cab" and they wouldn't even connect me to the dealership to get someone to come pick us up. Not a service worth paying for IMO.

2008 E93 M3 - SSII, 6MT, 19", EDC,...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
shagkie
Captain
Rep

Problem is that if it's stolen they always managed to find it back because mostly it's bastards that want it for joyride and dump it when they're done. I rather find it quicker and hopefully less damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmmm View Post
I tried using it a few times on my wife's X5 and I was not impressed at all so I let it expire. My thought on the matter is if my car is stolen, I DON'T want it back, especially if there is a bit of damage, you know the old saying "drive it like you stole it!"

Anyways, CAA (gold) is much cheaper and they flatbed your vehicle anywhere, so as long as you don;t minding using your phone instead of the button on the roof it is a much better option. When I called BMW assist they were not helpful (probably because the dealer never set up the vehicle correctly) and when they towed our truck they left me with my wife and 2 kids (1 and 3 years old) stranded on the side of a road (well actually in a parking lot) because the tow truck could only sit one passenger. When I asked them how they were going to "assist" me, they said that was my problem as they had taken care of the car. The lady on the phone told me to "call a cab" and they wouldn't even connect me to the dealership to get someone to come pick us up. Not a service worth paying for IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie View Post
Problem is that if it's stolen they always managed to find it back because mostly it's bastards that want it for joyride and dump it when they're done. I rather find it quicker and hopefully less damage
Believe me.You do not want your car back after it has been stolen.I had this happen with a E30 m3 that I had that was recovered after a month.It had been smoked in,body damage and the engine had been overreved and had bent valves.The insurance wanted to repair it and give it back to me but I refused to sign off on the repair.2 months later and several $1000 in legal fees they finally saw the light and decided to write it off,What a pile of crap to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
They never met you in person yet
Well they dont sound like my age....so its ok

I meet enough already
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Believe me.You do not want your car back after it has been stolen.I had this happen with a E30 m3 that I had that was recovered after a month.It had been smoked in,body damage and the engine had been overreved and had bent valves.The insurance wanted to repair it and give it back to me but I refused to sign off on the repair.2 months later and several $1000 in legal fees they finally saw the light and decided to write it off,What a pile of crap to deal with.

I kinda agree, once its stolen. LEt it be
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I renewed it because I like the Gmail nav feature. I frequently plan my trips out on google first so I like how that's integrated in the car. I also like the ability for the concierge or my assistant to put addresses in the NAV as I'm driving. This is far more convenient than fumbling around for an address using the iDrive interface.

Plus, there are the other concierge and safety features too.
      10-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #16
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3

I started receiving renewal notices a month ago, and mine is due to expire on Saturday. After thinking about it and comparing the features the '08 model years have versus the additional features the '09 and newer get it was a bit frustrating.

In the end I decided to renew for the piece of mind. If my wife is driving the car (only happens once or twice a year) and she has a problem, she can just push the SOS button and help will be on the way. That alone is worth the $190 renewal fee in my opinion. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex///M View Post
After thinking about it and comparing the features the '08 model years have versus the additional features the '09 and newer get it was a bit frustrating.
Yeah, us 08 users should at least get a discount off the price as only 1/2 the features apply to us.

I called them once to activate mine, but that's the only time I've used it. I too will probably activate it just for the reason stated by others.. in case I'm in an accident it is kinda nice to know the car will call for help automatically.

Curious however what the liability would be to BMW if I did NOT renew, and then got into a serious accident on some deserted road and ended up dying in my car because nobody came to help because the system had not been renewed. I assume the car would still call because it doesn't know whether I've renewed or not, but someone at the alarm station would ignore the call based on the fact that I was not paid up. If I ended up dying and they could have prevented this by taking the call for help from my car, doesn't that put them in a rather bad PR situation?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Mike View Post
Yeah, us 08 users should at least get a discount off the price as only 1/2 the features apply to us.

I called them once to activate mine, but that's the only time I've used it. I too will probably activate it just for the reason stated by others.. in case I'm in an accident it is kinda nice to know the car will call for help automatically.

Curious however what the liability would be to BMW if I did NOT renew, and then got into a serious accident on some deserted road and ended up dying in my car because nobody came to help because the system had not been renewed. I assume the car would still call because it doesn't know whether I've renewed or not, but someone at the alarm station would ignore the call based on the fact that I was not paid up. If I ended up dying and they could have prevented this by taking the call for help from my car, doesn't that put them in a rather bad PR situation?

The real question is"Why would you care if you are dead"
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #19
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex///M View Post
I started receiving renewal notices a month ago, and mine is due to expire on Saturday. After thinking about it and comparing the features the '08 model years have versus the additional features the '09 and newer get it was a bit frustrating.

In the end I decided to renew for the piece of mind. If my wife is driving the car (only happens once or twice a year) and she has a problem, she can just push the SOS button and help will be on the way. That alone is worth the $190 renewal fee in my opinion. YMMV.
I never got a renewal notice.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #20
revmmm
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
The real question is"Why would you care if you are dead"
+1

I think they actually de-activate the system (kindof like a cell phone) so that it will not call out or in unless they turn it on.

That reminds me, I remember reading a story somewhere about the OnStar techs listening into conversations on GM cars. 99% of the time it would not be worth listening to but every now and then I am sure you would get some interesting conversations.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #21
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmmm View Post
+1

I think they actually de-activate the system (kindof like a cell phone) so that it will not call out or in unless they turn it on.

That reminds me, I remember reading a story somewhere about the OnStar techs listening into conversations on GM cars. 99% of the time it would not be worth listening to but every now and then I am sure you would get some interesting conversations.
What? are they allowed to that
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 05:33 AM   #22
revmmm
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
What? are they allowed to that
It is a 2 way connection, so the technology is there that they can talk and listen to you. I am sure that it is against their policy to initiated it from their end if you are not in an accident...blah, blah, blah....but don't they advertise that if sensors go off in the car the "assistant" contacts you and asks you if you are okay? Same thing as AlarmForce, they initiate the communication from their end if there is an alarm and LISTEN for your response, I am sure it is not a stretch that they could initiate communication and just mute themselves...

but now I sound paranoid.

Appreciate 0