BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #67
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I'd avoid the 370Z personally. My friend had a 350Z and it wasn't a very good car. It had engine issues and on top of that the build quality (especially the interior) didn't hold a candle to a BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerRrari View Post
I've only driven a 350Z, but I did not like the car:
- cheap interior
- artificial engine sound
- felt heavy
- sterring feedback and response to inputs not as precise as the M3
This has changed a lot since the 350Zs. The interior of the 370Z is a HUGE step up over the 350Z. That said, when I sold my 350Z, it was 9 years old and had 100K miles. At less than half of both of those figures, my M3 has more squeaks, rattles, and chassis flex.

The engine sound on both the 350Z and 370Z is somewhat "harsh", I don't know that I'd say artificial though. However, breathing mods really wake up the sound. My 350Z had a full exhaust with HFC and the sound made me feel like I was driving a race car. In contrast, I've never heard an E46 M3 that I like.

I have not driven an E46 M3 but in comparison to my E92 M3, the 350Z and 370Z feel light and responsive. Though, I will agree that the steering is really not comparable, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pk Mods View Post
No, this car is going to be my daily driver and it will definitely go through rain and maybe even light snow. You say that there are better cars for my money but for $33k, the 370z NISMO has 350hp, syncron rev matching, and its an overall newer car. Many people are suggesting that things will go wrong with an E46 if i get it and to be honest, i dont mean to sound like a brat, but i dont want to deal with anything for at least the first 6-8 months of me getting the car. i want to enjoy the car and be able to use it to its full capacity.
The 370Z will require an oil cooler (stupid Nissan for not having one stock) for track work. Other than that, they haven't suffered the same engine, transmission, and nagging little issues that the 350Zs had.
      05-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #68
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
iv actually never considered the Z4 M, i just took a look at it now and it looks pretty strange to me, no offense AT ALL to anyone who has the car! Also, would u recommend a 2009-2011 370z NISMO over a E46 M3 w/ competition package? (SMG though, not manual)

i ask this because im basically brought down to these 2 options, an E92/E90 M3 is flat out not happening for me. Now considering this is a BMW forum i kind of realize in what direction you guys are going to lean. But id really like some detailed advice as to why you would choose an 06' M3 (comp. package with SMG) over a 370z NISMO (only comes in manual) if its clearly a slower car.

I dont believe in leasing cars, i like to have it so its MINE and so that i can do what ever i want to the car (mods and such) without having to worry about going against the lease agreement. and im not really sure about financing either, i have this weird OCD kind of thing that i just like having things being paid off at once, i dont like to worry about up coming payment and such.
For whatever reason, I feel the same way. Not that there is any real logic to it, but I feel like if I was to lease, that it is not MY CAR. I basically feel that I am just renting somebody else's car. I have no interest in having a rental M3.
      05-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #69
Pk Mods
Private
Rep
Drives: Dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
This has changed a lot since the 350Zs. The interior of the 370Z is a HUGE step up over the 350Z. That said, when I sold my 350Z, it was 9 years old and had 100K miles. At less than half of both of those figures, my M3 has more squeaks, rattles, and chassis flex.

The engine sound on both the 350Z and 370Z is somewhat "harsh", I don't know that I'd say artificial though. However, breathing mods really wake up the sound. My 350Z had a full exhaust with HFC and the sound made me feel like I was driving a race car. In contrast, I've never heard an E46 M3 that I like.

I have not driven an E46 M3 but in comparison to my E92 M3, the 350Z and 370Z feel light and responsive. Though, I will agree that the steering is really not comparable, for sure.

The 370Z will require an oil cooler (stupid Nissan for not having one stock) for track work. Other than that, they haven't suffered the same engine, transmission, and nagging little issues that the 350Zs had.
feels good hearing that stuff from someone who seems to know their share about nissan's, thanks for the honesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
For whatever reason, I feel the same way. Not that there is any real logic to it, but I feel like if I was to lease, that it is not MY CAR. I basically feel that I am just renting somebody else's car. I have no interest in having a rental M3.
hahah right?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #70
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
No, this car is going to be my daily driver and it will definitely go through rain and maybe even light snow. You say that there are better cars for my money but for $33k, the 370z NISMO has 350hp, syncron rev matching, and its an overall newer car. Many people are suggesting that things will go wrong with an E46 if i get it and to be honest, i dont mean to sound like a brat, but i dont want to deal with anything for at least the first 6-8 months of me getting the car. i want to enjoy the car and be able to use it to its full capacity.
If you're not going to track it, why does the power matters? Especially since you're in NY.
If you must have the power, have you considered a used Corvette?
If you prefer newer cars, have you considered Subaru BRZ?
E46 M3 is a pretty solid car. Especially if you get a low/mid miles 2006 MY, you'll be fine.

PS: Syncro-whatever is definitely a cool technology, but at the end of the day, just a toy and it is useless. It is really not that hard to perform heel&toe.
      05-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #71
Pk Mods
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
If you're not going to track it, why does the power matters? Especially since you're in NY.
E46 M3 is a pretty solid car. Especially if you get a low/mid miles 2006 MY, you'll be fine.

PS: Syncro-whatever is definitely a cool technology, but at the end of the day, just a toy and it is useless. It is really not that hard to perform heel&toe.
i see that term "heel and toe" being used here alot while speaking of manual cars. i tried looking it up on google or youtube for an explanation but it just shows me some drumming technique. would you mind giving me a quick rundown of what that is?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #72
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post

Synchro Rev Match is VERY cool, it works VERY well and best of all, there's a button to shut it off.
      05-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #73
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Quote:
i see that term "heel and toe" being used here alot while speaking of manual cars. i tried looking it up on google or youtube for an explanation but it just shows me some drumming technique. would you mind giving me a quick rundown of what that is?
Basically, use your right foot to control both brakes and throttle while the left engages the clutch

A true master in action:
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE1
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #74
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Synchro Rev Match is VERY cool, it works VERY well and best of all, there's a button to shut it off.
I agree it is very cool, and I agree it works very well. But it cannot be a reason to choose a car. That is my point.
      05-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #75
Pk Mods
Private
Rep

Quote:
Basically, use your right foot to control both brakes and throttle while the left engages the clutch

A true master in action:
Great video, a master wearing his slick loafers

I didnt know there was any other way to drive manual? i thought it was common sense that the left would would be solely designated to the clutch and the right foot would control the breaks/gas. the only thing im unsure about is why he presses them at the same time sometimes, unless THAT is heel toeing and im just not understanding the reasoning behind preforming this "technique"
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #76
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great video, a master wearing his slick loafers

I didnt know there was any other way to drive manual? i thought it was common sense that the left would would be solely designated to the clutch and the right foot would control the breaks/gas. the only thing im unsure about is why he presses them at the same time sometimes, unless THAT is heel toeing and im just not understanding the reasoning behind preforming this "technique"
Start from the basics:

rev matching down shift: The idea is to match the revs when you're going to a smaller gear. Let say, for 30mph, the engine rev is 2krpm at 3rd gear. Let say for the same speed, the engine rev would be 3krpm at 2nd gear. So now, imagine you're downshifting to 2nd from 3rd at 30mph. What you do is, when the clutch is in, you blip the throttle causing the engine rev to jump to 3krpm from 2krpm, and now you can let go the clutch pedal faster while not upsetting the car. Benefits are: you don't upset the balance of the car. And you will put less wear to the clutch plate.

Heel&toe: Now, the heel & toe is basically doing the rev matching down shift while braking. So in this case, you have to blip the throttle while braking. That's where the term "heel and toe" is coming since in the old days people used to brake with their toes and blip the throttle with their heels. But nowadays it is more like braking with the left side of your (right) foot, and blip'ing the throttle with the right side.
      05-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #77
BartMW
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

A true master in action:
Wow, that is some fine footwork! I love the throttle work in the corners. A master indeed.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #78
Wanna Race?
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Interlagos Blu

Wait until late September, rent a car in the meantime. They drop about 3k anywhere it snows.