BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

patent advice

I have alot of ideas or inventions that i have thought of but i finally have one that i think is good and new. I have spent some time doing research on the web but have not gotten alot of solid advice. I know there will be legal fees if i pursue this but would like to go in knowing as much as possible. any postive advice would be appreciated....all else, eat shit(i kid)

the item/items/idea is for musicians/bands/churches and would involve an "interface" and a mobile phone/tablet app that would mimic systems that already exist that already preform the same thing on a very costly hardware level that could be replaced with software on existing hardware(original i know). i am very confident there is no such product in production at the time(i know that doesn't mean some guy doesn't own the patent already). I am also confident no one here can guess what i am talking about either(pm and i will answer truthfully).

I kinda know the basics of the patent process by research and i know there are places(legalzoom) that do some of the work for you but i also understand i will probably need a lawyer to do it correct. I just want to get my ideas as clear as possible and go in with as much knowledge as possible.

my one main concern is i believe my company has a clause that they own all patents that i make while working there. I also know i have to sign off on the patent as inventor or creator or something so i cannot just have my wife file.

any advice, books, quality web links, or even florida patent lawyer contacts would be nice. i will have to grow a pair one day and act on some of these ideas.

thanks

cliffs: think i have a good idea to patent, need help.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
I have alot of ideas or inventions that i have thought of but i finally have one that i think is good and new. I have spent some time doing research on the web but have not gotten alot of solid advice. I know there will be legal fees if i pursue this but would like to go in knowing as much as possible. any postive advice would be appreciated....all else, eat shit(i kid)

the item/items/idea is for musicians/bands/churches and would involve an "interface" and a mobile phone/tablet app that would mimic systems that already exist that already preform the same thing on a very costly hardware level that could be replaced with software on existing hardware(original i know). i am very confident there is no such product in production at the time(i know that doesn't mean some guy doesn't own the patent already). I am also confident no one here can guess what i am talking about either(pm and i will answer truthfully).

I kinda know the basics of the patent process by research and i know there are places(legalzoom) that do some of the work for you but i also understand i will probably need a lawyer to do it correct. I just want to get my ideas as clear as possible and go in with as much knowledge as possible.

my one main concern is i believe my company has a clause that they own all patents that i make while working there. I also know i have to sign off on the patent as inventor or creator or something so i cannot just have my wife file.

any advice, books, quality web links, or even florida patent lawyer contacts would be nice. i will have to grow a pair one day and act on some of these ideas.

thanks

cliffs: think i have a good idea to patent, need help.
Funny that i saw this, im in the same boat right now, Im building a prototype this week and am going to take it from there. Ill let you know if i find anything that may help you out, i have some family in the law field so i think if i can ask around i may find something that my help.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Contact a patent lawyer.

At the very least get your idea on paper and have it notarized at the court house or something
      04-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

PM me your idea, I'll tell you how to patent it.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

If you really believe it will generate revenue contact a patent lawyer! I am named on a patent that was developed while working for a big six consulting firm. I got a whole $1 and had to sign the rights away in order to keep my job. I/we (3 developers total) should have contacted someone as we got screwed on our idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
PM me your idea, I'll tell you how to patent it.
should i send my SS# and credit card numbers too? ill just send them any ways.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
If you really believe it will generate revenue contact a patent lawyer! I am named on a patent that was developed while working for a big six consulting firm. I got a whole $1 and had to sign the rights away in order to keep my job. I/we (3 developers total) should have contacted someone as we got screwed on our idea.
yea, i think that would be the case. after more research i think i found a company doing something closer to what i was thinking so i am sure someone has to have thought of it already. i think its a great idea and will make alot of money for someone.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post

Actually, if you read your employment agreement it probably says you have no rights to anything you may develop or patent while working for them. Even if you tried to patent it outside the company, most like it would not have gone through. Unless you could prove what you invented or develop had no relationship with what you do at work. The only reason your name is on the patent is because they are required to list an actually person and the reason you got a $1 is they have to compensate you, the $1 and keeping your job is part of that.

Just remember, you have no real rights to a patent or idea while you being paid by employer especially if it came out of the work your employer was paying you to do.

Last edited by Maestro; 04-03-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Get a patent lawyer. He will tell you everything you need to know. Each of my patents has costed at least $10k in legal fees, etc. If you truly believe that your invention is awesome, then go for it. Also, many companies have clauses like that. If they find out you're inventing on the side, they tend to send an army of lawyers after you. You maybe can make a case if the patent has NOTHING to do with your field of work, and can prove that you used none of the company's resources (money, equipment, creative, intellectual, etc resources). But yeah, if you think you have a good idea, go for it! But be careful and always consult your lawyer. And get ready to pay up!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Only if you want to speed up the process
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug
Quote:
Only if you want to speed up the process
I lol'd
Appreciate 0