BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

03-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #23
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by day1yun View Post
I would argue that MACs are overpriced, you get much more in terms of hardware from a XPS. I would also argue that most Mac owners are just like PC owners, they don't know anything about their computers. Dell's would only be worth it if they could put the same reliability on their "better" hardware.

With that said, I am not a Mac hater. I'm actually looking into purchasing a Macbook Pro. Years ago Macs only appealed to people who were very uncomfortable with computers.I think you mean people that were really comfortable, since they were not so user friendly Macs are now used by novice computer users to IT experts. I work for a very large IT consulting firm working in the IT security field. Out of the 10 people I work with, 7 or so have Macbooks or Macbook Pros. Macs have become especially popular since OS X, when they built the OS on a modified Linux kernal. Many linux programs can be compiled to run on OS X.

I believe most people buy Macs because their design and marketing is awesome. Macs are currently the stylish and trendy thing to buy. Many people say they prefer OS X to Vista when they have not spent more than a few minutes using Vista, but I do think OS X is a better overall OS than Vista. I agree, I have XP Vista and OS X. OS X just lacks in user friendly networking Some people say Macs are more secure, while that may be true right now, it is mainly because the number of Mac users is relative low compared to PC. From your verbage at the end of the last paragraph I think you know some things about Linux, I sure hope you don't actually think this last statement was true.

So, why do I want to buy a Macbook Pro?
1. I'll be honest and say I'm a victim of Apple's marketing, I think Macs are cool.
2. I could probably get OS X Leopard to install onto my PC but I want the backlit keyboard, and LED backlit screen. You couldn't get it to install
3. I want to learn the OS. I consider myself to be an expert on Windows OSes from NT to Server 2003, but I am no nearly as proficient in OS X.
4. Why not? Macs used to have compatibility issues with Windows but much of that has been ironed out with the use of x86 based processors and Microsoft developing software for the Mac. Vmware Fusion would is a must for me. Actually, there is one thing holding me back...the price!Bootcamp is probably better IMO because it doesn't tax system as much. Mac's compatibility issues with Windows apps stopped when Bootcamp was introduced. Now you can run Windows on any mac with Leopard (Standard OS)
Comments inside comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZ410S View Post
Looks like the thread is dead. However, I believe Dell is always the best bang for the buck. There are always promotins and your machine does not come loaded down with tons of usesless software.
This is because you probably know nothing about computers.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #24
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by day1yun View Post
I would argue that MACs are overpriced, you get much more in terms of hardware from a XPS. I would also argue that most Mac owners are just like PC owners, they don't know anything about their computers.

With that said, I am not a Mac hater. I'm actually looking into purchasing a Macbook Pro. Years ago Macs only appealed to people who were very uncomfortable with computers. Macs are now used by novice computer users to IT experts. I work for a very large IT consulting firm working in the IT security field. Out of the 10 people I work with, 7 or so have Macbooks or Macbook Pros. Macs have become especially popular since OS X, when they built the OS on a modified Linux kernal. Many linux programs can be compiled to run on OS X.

I believe most people buy Macs because their design and marketing is awesome. Macs are currently the stylish and trendy thing to buy. Many people say they prefer OS X to Vista when they have not spent more than a few minutes using Vista, but I do think OS X is a better overall OS than Vista. Some people say Macs are more secure, while that may be true right now, it is mainly because the number of Mac users is relative low compared to PC.

So, why do I want to buy a Macbook Pro?
1. I'll be honest and say I'm a victim of Apple's marketing, I think Macs are cool.
2. I could probably get OS X Leopard to install onto my PC but I want the backlit keyboard, and LED backlit screen.
3. I want to learn the OS. I consider myself to be an expert on Windows OSes from NT to Server 2003, but I am no nearly as proficient in OS X.
4. Why not? Macs used to have compatibility issues with Windows but much of that has been ironed out with the use of x86 based processors and Microsoft developing software for the Mac. Vmware Fusion would is a must for me. Actually, there is one thing holding me back...the price!

To the first part all I have to say is yawn.... But it is true most computer users know nothing and less than 10% ever crack open their computer to upgrade it.

1. neat I hope you realize they have the best support also thats another reason why I will never by a PC, I hate the support when you need to get a new HD or new part.
2. Good luck no doubt it will install I have dont it on a few PC's but getting it to work is tough (network card will prob not work, CD drive ect)
3. One thing about OS X is they realized that by having similar GUI in all programs learning is faster and people are more productive so once you learn one basic program then all are very similar, and one thing that amazes me is the layers of user ability in OSX it has basic Noob GUI thats easy as heck but yet sill allows for more challenging usability and never lets down the more advanced user.
4. I would say its the other way around, windows has compatibility issues. Macs work fine with windows in all version of OSX I have had them networked in my house for years, all of my issues came from XP breaking the network mostly since it installed updates or got cruddeed up and needed a restart (One thing about macs is they only time you need to restart them is when you update them thats it, they run smooth and fast no matter what). I found it to be a joke when my printer would work in XP then wont work in Vista since its not compatible.. Plug it n the mac no need to install software and it just works. S
Appreciate 0