BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Yet another exhaust decision thread...

I haven't posted here in awhile, but the RAC group buy thing has sucked me back in. Anyway, I'm considering an aftermarket exhaust, and was hoping that I could get some recommendations. Also, if anyone in the Austin/Houston/DFW area has any of the recommended exhausts, I'd be very grateful to hear them in person. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Stainless steel construction (the Ti setups look amazing, but I don't need to spend that much)
2. Bolt-on (I have no interest in cutting my stock pipes)
3. Preferrably TUV approved (really don't want to go too much louder than stock and I have no desire to wake up the neighbors if I come home late)
4. Little to no drone (I understand that drone is not completely avoidable, but I'd want any drone that does occur to be below 2k rpm)
5. Adjustable tips might be nice, but probably not a big deal since I have an E92.
6. Quality tips (I'm fine with either single or double walled tips) and looks good from the back (like everyone else I hate the cow udders that pass for the OEM mufflers -- I want something a little more hidden/discreet)
7. Reputable manufacturer/seller support

I have my eye on a few specific setups, but let me hear from everyone else. What should I consider? Can anyone nearby let me hear theirs?

Last edited by TLud; 07-23-2009 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Well I'll break it down.
Sounds like you want a bolt-on system(scratch off Remus), that's not too loud(forget any 'race' sytem), reputable manufacturer, that has single or double wall tips that looks more hidden than the OEM can, but you don't want to spend much.....

Sounds like a Dinan for $1999 or if can swing it a an Eisenmann for $2800. I chose the Dinan for a lot of the reasons you mention and they really did do quite a bit of R & D with this sytem to maximize hp gain without compromising driveablity. Good luck in your hunt!

07-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Well I'll break it down.
Sounds like you want a bolt-on system(scratch off Remus), that's not too loud(forget any 'race' sytem), reputable manufacturer, that has single or double wall tips that looks more hidden than the OEM can, but you don't want to spend much.....

Sounds like a Dinan for $1999 or if can swing it a an Eisenmann for $2800. I chose the Dinan for a lot of the reasons you mention and they really did do quite a bit of R & D with this sytem to maximize hp gain without compromising driveablity. Good luck in your hunt!
Thanks. The Dinan is definitely one of those on my short list, as is the Eisenmann Sport, RPi (axleback only), and AA Signature. Price under $3k is not important, as long as I'm sure about what I'm getting. I just don't want to spend $2,500 and then realize I've ended up with something I hate.
      07-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
askiles
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan - Alpine White

There is absolutely NO aluminum exhaust systems, sorry. They are all either Stainless Steel or Titanium. I am not sure that thin aluminum pipe would stand up to the heat?!?! Maybe though. It would be worth a shot, as it is a whole hell of a lot cheaper than titanium, but lighter than stainless at least.

-Andy
      07-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

My very short list would be RPi, Gintani and Rogue. I'm really holding off because I'm waiting on Rogue's system the most, as I hear it was one of the best systems available for the E46.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiles View Post
There is absolutely NO aluminum exhaust systems, sorry. They are all either Stainless Steel or Titanium. I am not sure that thin aluminum pipe would stand up to the heat?!?! Maybe though. It would be worth a shot, as it is a whole hell of a lot cheaper than titanium, but lighter than stainless at least.

-Andy
I think he means SS.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

I have an Eisenmann Sport
Aesthetically: It doesn't get better

Sound: When I'm in go fast mood I want it louder, but when I'm with the gf, starting it up late in front of her house, or coming home late, I'm happy it is what it is.

Power: More or less probably the same as every other axle-back exhaust.

I'd like to see/hear Dinan and AA
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

RPi was crossed off my list of "likable" exhausts when I saw it in person at the NJ meet.

Sounded cheap (tin sound around idle and low rpms), tips looked alright at best, and the mufflers sag.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

I have Eisenmann Race. I'll be in Dallas Saturday..Shoot me a pm if you wanna meet up and hear it if you haven't already. It's kinda loud but it sounds like the 'sport'..just more DBs..you probably already know this but the sport is tuv approved!

oh btw I would love to see your SSK too!
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Thanks. The Dinan is definitely one of those on my short list, as is the Eisenmann Sport, RPi (axleback only), and AA Signature. Price under $3k is not important, as long as I'm sure about what I'm getting. I just don't want to spend $2,500 and then realize I've ended up with something I hate.
Yeah I didn't include the AA because the external NCC -Noise Cancelling Chamber are a bit of an eyesore if your trying to make the rear look cleaner. Otherwise the AA system sounds awesome and the craftsmanship is top notch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
My very short list would be RPi, Gintani and Rogue. I'm really holding off because I'm waiting on Rogue's system the most, as I hear it was one of the best systems available for the E46.
Rogue? Is there system even out? The E46 el Diablo was awesome but by the time an exhaust is released for the E9x it will not even be in production...
      07-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiles View Post

-Andy
Thanks for the correction; I edited the original post. I did mean SS, but had aluminum on the brain from talking to a co-worker about mt bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I've been anxiously awaiting the El Diablo for a long time as well, but it looks like the wait will continue for some time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
RPi was crossed off my list of "likable" exhausts when I saw it in person at the NJ meet.

Sounded cheap (tin sound around idle and low rpms), tips looked alright at best, and the mufflers sag.
Thanks for the impressions. Was the one you saw the axle-back-only or was it the whole race setup?

From the videos that I've seen, it appears that the tinny ringing is coming from the very back of the exhaust (tip and muffler area). I'm wondering if it's caused by the unique design where the pipes enter into the mufflers from the side? This may be causing the exhaust to hit the opposite side (outside) of the cans, resulting in the tinny sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
I have Eisenmann Race. I'll be in Dallas Saturday..Shoot me a pm if you wanna meet up and hear it if you haven't already. It's kinda loud but it sounds like the 'sport'..just more DBs..you probably already know this but the sport is tuv approved!

oh btw I would love to see your SSK too!
I do come up to Dallas regularly, but unfortunately I'll be in Austin this weekend. Thanks for the offer though, and I can let you know the next time I'm in Dallas if you want to test the SSK. In the meantime, I recommend the UUC without any reservations. If there had been anything I didn't like about it, I would have gone back to stock, but I'm loving it.
      07-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
ytthao
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 IBlue

personal opinion and because I have one... AA all the way...
get all the opinions you want but ultimately hearing an exhaust is key...
I love my AA its got two voices if you know what I mean a deep grumble then a high pitch sound... under WOT

Always a head tuner when I drive by car fanatics and have gotten many inquires if its the stock exhaust... I always say yes LOL!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the impressions. Was the one you saw the axle-back-only or was it the whole race setup?

From the videos that I've seen, it appears that the tinny ringing is coming from the very back of the exhaust (tip and muffler area). I'm wondering if it's caused by the unique design where the pipes enter into the mufflers from the side? This may be causing the exhaust to hit the opposite side (outside) of the cans, resulting in the tinny sound?
I'm not sure, but a few cars had them at the meet. I just was not a big fan.
Also, I'm not sure what grade SS these in-house manufacturers use but it seems like the tips were a bit yellow.
I haven't polished my Eisenmann once and it till looks as clean as the day i got it...that's what I call stainless.

as a disclaimer I'm not pushing eisenmann because I might even trade it (due to wanting more high end sound), but I am pushing their craftsmanship.
Best I've seen and only one may top it.
Starts with an "A" and ends with a "povic"
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
golemite
Sleeper
United_States
Rep
Drives: B5 S4/E92 M3

Quote:
I haven't posted here in awhile, but the RAC group buy thing has sucked me back in. Anyway, I'm considering an aftermarket exhaust, and was hoping that I could get some recommendations. Also, if anyone in the Austin/Houston/DFW area has any of the recommended exhausts, I'd be very grateful to hear them in person. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Stainless steel construction (the Ti setups look amazing, but I don't need to spend that much)
2. Bolt-on (I have no interest in cutting my stock pipes)
3. Preferrably TUV approved (really don't want to go too much louder than stock and I have no desire to wake up the neighbors if I come home late)
4. Little to no drone (I understand that drone is not completely avoidable, but I'd want any drone that does occur to be below 2k rpm)
5. Adjustable tips might be nice, but probably not a big deal since I have an E92.
6. Quality tips (I'm fine with either single or double walled tips) and looks good from the back (like everyone else I hate the cow udders that pass for the OEM mufflers -- I want something a little more hidden/discreet)
7. Reputable manufacturer/seller support

I have my eye on a few specific setups, but let me hear from everyone else. What should I consider? Can anyone nearby let me hear theirs?
Ti doesn't have to be super expensive. If you're already dropping 2K+ on a SS system, the Vanguard group buy in the sponser section is just around there. It's a full bolt on system with adjustable tips, and isn't excessively loud unless you get on it, but make no mistake it is an aftermarket system.

Actually one of my favorite parts about it is you can only just see the Ti canisters while directly behind it or through the bumper. I agree udders look lame.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

looks badass!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytthao View Post
personal opinion and because I have one... AA all the way...
get all the opinions you want but ultimately hearing an exhaust is key...
I love my AA its got two voices if you know what I mean a deep grumble then a high pitch sound... under WOT

Always a head tuner when I drive by car fanatics and have gotten many inquires if its the stock exhaust... I always say yes LOL!
You hit the nail on the head here, but it's definitely easier said than done, especially when one doesn't live in SoCal. I've heard a few aftermarket exhausts on the E9X, but none of the ones I'm considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
I'm not sure, but a few cars had them at the meet. I just was not a big fan.
Also, I'm not sure what grade SS these in-house manufacturers use but it seems like the tips were a bit yellow.
I haven't polished my Eisenmann once and it till looks as clean as the day i got it...that's what I call stainless.

as a disclaimer I'm not pushing eisenmann because I might even trade it (due to wanting more high end sound), but I am pushing their craftsmanship.
Best I've seen and only one may top it.
Starts with an "A" and ends with a "povic"
I certainly agree that the Eisenmann craftmanship looks top notch. The thing that probably most sets apart an M visually is the quad exhaust in the back, and tips that are chipping or discolored really kill the look. If I go with a set with the polished SS tips, I want something that won't require regular polishing to maintain, so it's good to hear that the Eisenmann fits the bill on this one. That's one reason why I actually like the black ceramic-coated tips on the Dinan, even though others think it looks cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golemite View Post
Ti doesn't have to be super expensive. If you're already dropping 2K+ on a SS system, the Vanguard group buy in the sponser section is just around there. It's a full bolt on system with adjustable tips, and isn't excessively loud unless you get on it, but make no mistake it is an aftermarket system.

Actually one of my favorite parts about it is you can only just see the Ti canisters while directly behind it or through the bumper. I agree udders look lame.
Ooooh, very nice, especially for the price. The weight savings are awesome. I'm not familiar with Vanguard, so that's a little bit of a concern. I'd also like to hear some in-car video clips, which I requested in the GB thread.
      07-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah man I would definitely love to meet up with you sometime. If you haven't heard the Eisenmann Race, you're welcome to hear it on my car/drive it if you want. Just let me know whenever you're in the dallas area! I'll be moving up to Norman on the 22nd of August so if it's before then it'd be nice!
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Yeah man I would definitely love to meet up with you sometime. If you haven't heard the Eisenmann Race, you're welcome to hear it on my car/drive it if you want. Just let me know whenever you're in the dallas area! I'll be moving up to Norman on the 22nd of August so if it's before then it'd be nice!
Whoa! You're movin even more further away. You should move to the Plano/dfw area man.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #19
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Whoa! You're movin even more further away. You should move to the Plano/dfw area man.
Haha I would, but I got a full tuition scholarship to OU so I can't refuse..

You're always welcome to join if me and TLud meet up!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #20
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Haha I would, but I got a full tuition scholarship to OU so I can't refuse..

You're always welcome to join if me and TLud meet up!
hahahaha what a coincidence! I was trying to make plans to meet up with TLud and check out his ssk and also see Davinhci's Gintani exhaust since their both in Austin. hahaha

Hopefully I'm able to work everything out....
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #21
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Lol, I'm actually a Houstonian with family in both Austin and Dallas, so I visit both cities pretty regularly.

Nawaaz, keep me posted about this weekend. DevJ, I'll try to make it up to Dallas before you return to Okie country, so you can try my SSK, and I definitely want to hear your exhaust, even though I'm sure it'll be louder than I'm looking for.

Anyone else in Tejas want to show off their aftermarket exhausts?
      07-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #22
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Taiwan is far from Texas, but I vote for Eisenmann sport/race
the fitment to the rear bumper is amazing. The clean look from the rear end of the car. The sound is even better

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0