BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW

06-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post Concept Active Tourer (Outdoor) Concept to Debut at OutDoor Exhibition Next Month

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Concept Active Tourer (Outdoor) Concept to Debut at OutDoor Exhibition Next Month
COMMENTS
Name:  img_9016.jpg
Views: 6590
Size:  142.6 KB

BMW will be unveiling the second version of the Concept Active Tourer [See Official Thread for first concept], which it calls the Concept Active Tourer Outdoor, on July 12, 2013 - at the 2013 OutDoor Exhibition in Friedrichshafen, Germany.

No preview image of the second concept was released with this announcement, but the company says that the concept is aimed at "meeting the special needs of an outdoor and leisure time oriented target group."

The BMWNA CEO has confirmed that the U.S. will be receiving the production version of the Concept Active Tourer. The first Concept Active Tourer concept is a plug-in hybrid powered by a 1.5L TwinPower Turbo engine, an electric motor, and a lithium-ion battery. Total output exceeds 190 HP (140 kW) and 200 Nm (147 lb-ft) torque which propels the car from 0-100 in less than eight seconds, with a top speed of around 200 km/h (124 mph) and travel more than 30 km (18.6 miles) on electricity alone.

Note: both the images displayed above and on the homepage are the original Concept Active Tourer, not the Concept Active Tourer "Outdoor" concept to be debuted next month.

Press release:

Quote:
World premiere of the BMW Concept Active Tourer Outdoor at the exhibition OutDoor 2013.

Munich.
BMW will be entering new terrain. For the first time in the history of the company, a concept vehicle will celebrate its premiere at the OutDoor in
Friedrichshafen.

The second concept version of the BMW Concept Active Tourer being presented this summer is aimed at meeting the special needs of an outdoor and leisure time oriented target group. The BMW Concept Active Tourer Outdoor combines comfort and dynamic design with a high level of spatial functionality and intelligent access to BMW ConnectedDrive services.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Leo88
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

I've seen the Active Tourer at the Welt and i must admit that in real life it was better than I thought.
Still i don't understand why BMW should begin selling car in that segment. They should have used Mini or another brand for that, the idea that my coupè share the same brand of a mini van is not that good.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo88 View Post
I've seen the Active Tourer at the Welt and i must admit that in real life it was better than I thought.
Still i don't understand why BMW should begin selling car in that segment. They should have used Mini or another brand for that, the idea that my coupè share the same brand of a mini van is not that good.
I'm sure there's people out there with M6's and 760's that feel the same way about diesel coupe 3-ers! I don't mean any disrespect by that, just that it's a matter of perspective.

If they badged this vehicle as a MINI it would probably shift half the number of units, if that.. and all the MINI fans would be whining it was too big to be called a MINI.

I'm curious how they make it outdoorsy... maybe a Camper style vehicle with a raiseable accordian roof I'd rock that
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Alii-01
Rep
Drives: Pedestrian

I like this car
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Mamasgotkids
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alii-01
I like this car
Yep, I'd buy it. Reminds me a little bit of my old EU 118 hatchback.

When will it really be available is what I'd like to know. (Hopefully in 2 yrs when my f30 lease is up!)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Leo88
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
I'm sure there's people out there with M6's and 760's that feel the same way about diesel coupe 3-ers! I don't mean any disrespect by that, just that it's a matter of perspective.

If they badged this vehicle as a MINI it would probably shift half the number of units, if that.. and all the MINI fans would be whining it was too big to be called a MINI.

I'm curious how they make it outdoorsy... maybe a Camper style vehicle with a raiseable accordian roof I'd rock that
Well you're probably right, but BMW become what is now thanks to the 3 and 5 series, there's a huge difference.

We are talking about a 7 seat minivan

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Alii-01
Rep
Drives: Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasgotkids View Post
Yep, I'd buy it. Reminds me a little bit of my old EU 118 hatchback.

When will it really be available is what I'd like to know. (Hopefully in 2 yrs when my f30 lease is up!)
Все будет хорошо
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Well you're probably right, but BMW become what is now thanks to the 3 and 5 series, there's a huge difference.

We are talking about a 7 seat minivan
Well, I know what you mean, and it's not really my cup of tea either, but BMW wouldn't be the company it is today if it had not diversified in the past.

One day, somebody, probably VW, will start to try and buy shares in BMW, that will be the time to worry. Expansion is necessary.. and resurrecting the 8 series badge (for example), to sell a few hundred units, won't be what saves them from being badge engineered VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat cars. It will be volume sellers, and the market will only demand or stand so many 3-ers and 5-ers...

...just my 2 cents of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
Quote:
Still i don't understand why BMW should begin selling car in that segment. They should have used Mini or another brand for that, the idea that my coup share the same brand of a mini van is not that good.

Press release mentions 'outdoor' and 'new terrain'. Suspect it might be some sort of MPV/4x4 crossover.
I've been a fan of BMW for as long as i can remember and the concept active tourer really hits the mark for me; Spacious, fuel efficient, practical, BMW. My 3's great but I have kids and a tourer's only just a bit more practical, more expensive and still has low roof line, meaning too many awkward positions putting kids in car in car parks.:-)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
wakedaze
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

WOW! A BMW Aztec!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Actually, I'd guess at the obvious... whereas the CAT was the 5dr 5seater hatch... the CATO will be the longer version, probably with highly adjustable/configurable rear seats... so If I don't have 6 other friends to take to the Overlook hotel, I can at least load up my MTB, some dead hookers, my Climbing Gear, and maybe an inflatable Kayak...

.. I await the concept with interest.
Appreciate 0