BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #45
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 M3 dct

Thx guys, glad to see other people digging the new RB setup.

As for the jack stands...they are great too. I got them from Reverse Logic and talk to Fredric Gwinn, he hooked me up. I'm going to get another set for my shop, they're that good. Plus super light and rated at 3000lbs each (pretty sure on that).
fred@reverselogic.us 216-235-8584
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #46
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Thanks for the info!! Greatly appreciate it. Been looking for these and I love the color!

Enjoy the new BBK. I like the way those disks are designed. Looks like almost no possibility of stress fractures like drilled rotors.

Will be interested to hear how well they heat up and how they are for daily drivability.

I am already set up on my M3 with a BBK all around. However, I would really like to see these in my TTRS and if they could manufacture a set.

The brakes on the TTRS squeak non stop in cold weather and I am not in a situation where I can do 60-0 sprints in the morning to heat them up and as a result there is little bit when I need to brake hard. Track they are good but will start fading after about 20 minutes..

Alright enough Audi jabber! Enjoy them and cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #47
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
that exhaust looks crazy! Great looking brakes!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #48
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Brakes look amazing. Post a pic with a side view of te car. Can u notice the stock calipers in the rear ?

Last edited by Chriskm3; 01-12-2013 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #49
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raucky2000 View Post
Alright so the verdict is in after a bunch of starting and stopping. If the stock brakes made you feel like this Then the RB kit and rotors will make you feel like this All I can say is I don't care how many pistons you have, because this setup rocks and rocks it hard. Great pedal feed back, modulation is good and firm, but not super rock hard and dead feeling like some of the race cars I've driven. This kit really is a great setup for the track days (Plus they have fast change out pads!) and daily driving, you won't be disappointed.

^Sure they might be around the StopTech pricing (I honestly can't remember if they are more or less), but I bet that these stop every bit as good, if not better and save a ton of weight off the car, which is a huge benefit!

For me, this was a great addition to a great car and everyone that's seen them in person, was really impressed.

THEY ARE WORTH THE WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not trying to be an ass, but how can you conclude this is a great track set up with out actually have done numerous track days on it??? Doing a dozen 60-0 stops is not the same thing. Thats how most of us bed our pads in before a track day or pad swap.

Again, not trying to come down on you or this product...lets just get some good reliable info.
      01-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #50
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Not trying to be an ass, but how can you conclude this is a great track set up with out actually have done numerous track days on it??? Doing a dozen 60-0 stops is not the same thing. Thats how most of us bed our pads in before a track day or pad swap.

Again, not trying to come down on you or this product...lets just get some good reliable info.
+1 - until this setup has been on a track that's hard on brakes it's impossible to conclude by driving on the street that it will perform well on the track.

Brembo, AP, StopTech, and PFC all use steel (Ti in some applications) pistons so which E9x M3 BBKs use Alum pistons in their caliper designs?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #51
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh I understand your not trying to be an ass and I understand where you're coming from. Being that you don't know me and my cars, what I've driven/raced etc. I obviously don't know you and what you've done either.

I never posted that I did a bunch of 60-0 stops...assuming what I did or have done is an interesting approach, I'll say that. What's the point of doing 60-0 stops for a track setup? I've never done that at a race track before, what kind of racing is that? Are you a piston counter? OK sorry, I'm done being an ass and I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have.

^^ I did the normal bedding process supplied by RB. Let everything cool down and went out to do my testing. Granted I didn't use a SOLO or anything to have "true" data, but I know my normal braking points where I test at. Lets say I was able to go deeper and still felt under control. That's how I know/believe that this is a great dual purpose setup. If you're going to run 20min lapping events go for the all out track pads and race tires.

Now with ^ that being said, if you want a great track setup for a "race car" that has no modulation or feel what so ever. Then it's really simple, buy something else, but if you want something to add to your driving experience then buy these plain and simple.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #52
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
Rep

^^^ LOL, now those are some sticky tires!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #53
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Oh I understand your not trying to be an ass and I understand where you're coming from. Being that you don't know me and my cars, what I've driven/raced etc. I obviously don't know you and what you've done either.

I never posted that I did a bunch of 60-0 stops...assuming what I did or have done is an interesting approach, I'll say that. What's the point of doing 60-0 stops for a track setup? I've never done that at a race track before, what kind of racing is that? Are you a piston counter? OK sorry, I'm done being an ass and I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have.

^^ I did the normal bedding process supplied by RB. Let everything cool down and went out to do my testing. Granted I didn't use a SOLO or anything to have "true" data, but I know my normal braking points where I test at. Lets say I was able to go deeper and still felt under control. That's how I know/believe that this is a great dual purpose setup. If you're going to run 20min lapping events go for the all out track pads and race tires.

Now with ^ that being said, if you want a great track setup for a "race car" that has no modulation or feel what so ever. Then it's really simple, buy something else, but if you want something to add to your driving experience then buy these plain and simple.

"Alright so the verdict is in after a bunch of starting and stopping"...I took that as a general comment, and just translated into generalization of it being 60-0 stops. If its very off base, then please correct me.

However, you made a direct comment that these brakes are a great set up for the track, never having used them on the track....get them out to a few events, and then perhaps make that comment...thats all we are trying to get across. Not attacking you or your ability as a driver.

Its always good to see new products, but they need to be tested for their intended use.

Last edited by STALKER; 01-12-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #54
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

If you do plan on tracking your car then perhaps it's best if you "buy something else":
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=Racing+Brakes
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #55
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
If you do plan on tracking your car then perhaps it's best if you "buy something else":
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=Racing+Brakes

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #56
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
Rep

Fair enough...I'll report back after more use. My 110-50 braking repeats went really well, as did my lapping drills.

I checked out the link and that's def not good news. I'll be watching my vented grooves before and after each event.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #57
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Lets give them a fair try. It is possible for a company to upgrade their product an surpas the competition when reputation is in question. After all the company name is "Racing Brakes"
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #58
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Have you verified the 10lbs per corner weight saving yourself?

The rotors are the same size as standard, so should weigh a similar amount (perhaps more without the holes). Does it all come off the caliper?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #59
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

calipers save 4.5 per corner i thought.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #60
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
calipers save 4.5 per corner i thought.
Rotors.

I think he was saying that it's was 10lbs total weight savings for the calipers if you replace all 4.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #61
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Some of the larger advantages of this kit are the MASSIVE weight savings over the stock setup.

You save ~10lbs over the stock calipers, maybe more to be honest. Plus the weight savings of the rotors are well, they are 21lbs lighter total, so that's over 40lbs of weight hanging at the extreme corners of your car GONE! Their mounting bracket is super strong and light. Unsprung weight and rotational weight are some of the two biggest enemies a car has. It helps the car corner, stop, and go faster everywhere, no BS, it's the truth. "Ask any real racer..."

All of the major BBK kits weight about the same as OEM brakes (a little less than std to be fair), which was a big turnoff to me. I DIDN'T BUY THIS KIT BECAUSE I'M CHEAP!!! I bought this kit because I come from a racing history and for my application this IS THE BEST KIT.

Built in dust boots so this kit will last on the streets and tracks.

NO RUST RINGS, to answer someone's question^

I talked to their service department for hours, trust me, they know their Sh*t.

Oh I'm prob letting the cat out of the bag, but someone already asked about. "Why only a 4 pot setup?" Lets just say RB has a surprise for us next season with something bigger and badder (?) for the front end and we can still use the 4 pot calipers on the rear! Sorry RB, but people needed to know that so please DON'T hate me!!!!! Plus now the pressure is on to finish your R&D earlier!
4 piston BBKs look to offer similar weight savings. It's when you compare bigger 6 piston and 380mm kits that you get similar weight as stock.

If comparing the BBKs in the same size made for other cars is acceptable, we can do a quick comparo.

Using the stock weights from this thread http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482641 and/or the racingbrakes forum/store. The weights of the stoptech trophy kit from a google search.

Front:
OEM rotor : 22.5lbs
stoptech rotor : 17.8lbs
racingbrake rotor : 18lbs
http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece...-M3-p/2161.htm

OEM caliper : 13lbs
stoptech trophy caliper : 6.8lbs
stoptech ST-40 caliper : 7.8lbs
racingbrake RB460 caliper + bracket : 9.9lbs
racingbrake RB460 caliper : 6.1lbs
http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=863
http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=849

Did not compare brembo kits as they seem to be more expensive. And don't think that AP has a 4pot bbk for the front....just for the rear.

Last edited by sensi09; 01-12-2013 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #62
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

I have seen these at Autocross series that I race in. I can tell you my friend's explaination of them. He runs a fully stripped and prepared Evo (pic at the bottom of the post) and for the season he came in 2nd in overall index and first in XP class. So the car is very good and he is a good driver as well. We have talked about the brakes and he considers them to be:
  • made for weight savings
  • small performance improvement over stock brakes
  • he would not run this brake setup if he tracked the car. it is a autocross only setup and this is one of the components he would have to upgrade to be safe enough to be trackable.

I personally notice that the 3 piece rotor design looks like it saves weight vs other kits.

Again I am not an expert in this brand, but just wanted to share what I have heard from someone who does race with these breaks.

The next car, my Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #63
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

The caliper and bracket weight of 9.9 lb doesn't include pads which weigh over 3lbs per pair. This brings it back to a similar caliper/bracket/pad weight as oem

I just can't see a 10lb per corner weight saving.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #64
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
4 piston BBKs look to offer similar weight savings. It's when you compare bigger 6 piston and 380mm kits that you get similar weight as stock.

If comparing the BBKs in the same size made for other cars is acceptable, we can do a quick comparo.

Using the stock weights from this thread http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482641 and/or the racingbrakes forum/store. The weights of the stoptech trophy kit from a google search.

Front:
OEM rotor : 21lbs
stoptech rotor : 17.8lbs
racingbrake rotor : 18lbs
http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece...-M3-p/2161.htm

OEM caliper : 13lbs
stoptech trophy caliper : 6.8lbs
stoptech ST-40 caliper : 7.8lbs
racingbrake RB460 caliper + bracket : 9.9lbs
racingbrake RB460 caliper : 6.1lbs
http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=863
http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=849

Did not compare brembo kits as they seem to be more expensive. And don't think that AP has a 4pot bbk for the front....just for the rear.
OEM front rotor is 22.5 lbs. happen to have a set sitting in the garage so put one on the pelouze.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #65
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oh was going to use the 22.5lb weight on the RB site, but forgot to change it.

How much does the oem caliper weight by itself?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #66
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

yep i stand to save 16.4 lbs per corner going from vmrs-ad08s and stock brakes to apex ec7-nt01s and stoptech trophys. enough to get me under 3600 on a fully loaded e90. still a pig.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 01-12-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0