BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #23
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

gzzz

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #24
boarderman23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3

I tried to keep the pressure at the recommended (35 front and 38 rear), but did notice I ran them a few PSI lower for a period of time...which is why I was surprised the middles wore faster.

In terms of the track causing this, I would say no. The fronts take a lot more wear from the track I go to and I really didn't notice too much wear after each day (neither day was super aggressive - especially since the last one wasn't too long ago and I knew my tires were getting pretty worn). The wear seemed to be gradual over the period of the 10k miles as well.

And yea I had to drive with more caution, especially with the conditions (Western NY). Dry days still offered plenty of grip though, even when driving pretty aggressively (didn't realize they were this bad though - figured something wasn't right when I could feel the bump of the tire - took it easy then).

Also, these were not caused from burnouts...did a little sliding around in the wet, but they were already worn by then.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
boarderman23
Private
Rep

If that bubble did pop, I assume I would have had the run flats to fall back on?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #26
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
If that bubble did pop, I assume I would have had the run flats to fall back on?
Not RFTs!

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #27
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Everyday driving, not a single burnout. That did include two track days, but I don't think that caused very much wear.
I have 20k and my tires are nowhere near yours. I had 5 track days on my other tires and they still didn't look that bad.

I remember tires in my E46 not lasting much past 20k, but I think I drove a lot more aggressive on those.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #28
boarderman23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Not RFTs!
Really??? The dealer told me they were and said they wouldn't install the tires I had because they weren't run flats to match the front (had to get it done elsewhere).

Also, the computer tells you that you are using run flats if you let the PSI drop down below a certain threshold (happened to me shortly before I had these changed).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #29
boarderman23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I have 20k and my tires are nowhere near yours. I had 5 track days on my other tires and they still didn't look that bad.

I remember tires in my E46 not lasting much past 20k, but I think I drove a lot more aggressive on those.
Wow, I don't get that...I was shocked that I only got 10k out of mine (should have been changed at 8k). I'm sure road conditions and type of driving make a difference in tire wear, but it sounds like a lot of people including you do their share of spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #30
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Really??? The dealer told me they were and said they wouldn't install the tires I had because they weren't run flats to match the front (had to get it done elsewhere).

Also, the computer tells you that you are using run flats if you let the PSI drop down below a certain threshold (happened to me shortly before I had these changed).
You AREN'T serious, right? M3s are not shod with runflats. They handle like excrement IMO.
      12-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #31
boarderman23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
You AREN'T serious, right? M3s are not shod with runflats. They handle like excrement IMO.
I just went by what the dealer and car computer told me...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #32
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:

Nope. M3 doesn't come with run flats

TPMS is telling you that your tire pressures have dropped by at least 10% from their reference pressures (when you reset TPMS) - this light coming on has nothing to do with RFTs!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #33
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
dbarnes has it right. TPMS (indirectly) monitors your tire pressure and is unrelated to runflats.
      12-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #34
boarderman23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Nope. M3 doesn't come with run flats

TPMS is telling you that your tire pressures have dropped by at least 10% from their reference pressures (when you reset TPMS) - this light coming on has nothing to do with RFTs!
There was a full paragraph message on my nav screen that said something about run-flats and keeping the car under 50mph for a limited amount of use (I should have grabbed a pic). The tire pressure light was also on, but it was the message that made me think run-flats, not the TPMS light (that has been on before without the run-flat message).

Also, I didn't think this had run flats until I saw that message and the dealer told me (service manager) over the phone that it does have run-flats and would not put my "non run-flats" on on rear wheels when the fronts have run-flats. I just took their word for it. I now know that they do NOT have run-flats - thanks both of you for clearing that up!

Last edited by boarderman23; 12-03-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #35
boarderman23
Private
Rep

Ok I have to apologize...I started to think I may have read something wrong with what everyone is saying so I just lowered my PSI to get the message again. It doesn't specifically state that the car is equipped with run flats, but if you don't know in the first place and get this message wouldn't you assume (dealer also told me they have run-flats)? Here are a couple pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #36
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

It looks like burnouts from me.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #37
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Mine look like that also. Lol. Did one track day and several Burn outs. My had about 15k on it.

Just got a pair of Pilot Super Sports.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #38
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Burn outs. Fess up...
      12-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #39
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Sliding sideways=burnouts as far as the tire is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #40
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Quote:
My dealer told me that my M3 had runflats as well....you mean they don't??

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadub View Post
My dealer told me that my M3 had runflats as well....you mean they don't??

dealers are so useless!!! Dub-stick to Chapman bmw in chandlers. Talk to Tony Desalvo. THere are a few guys more familiar with the M's and are pretty good. You still have to cross check with the board.

What is with dealers guys! I just cannot fathom marketing a product or being involved with a brand and not knowing EVERYTHING about the product.

Hell I would guess 50 percent of us guys who just like bimmers as a hobby that has nothing to do with our job, knows more about every single model than majority of dealers. I pretty much know all details that a dealer should about the 7's, M's, 3's, and 5's. I admit I know nothing about the Z or the 1's but this is not my job!

As far as the OP-I believe him because the rest of the tread is completely gone everywhere and then there is a middle that is even worse. If it was burnout or overinflation than the outside of the tires would still have decent tread left and the middle would be signifigantly worse v. now there is no tread anywhere and the middle is even worse. Maybe just a random bad batch of tires? Who knows. I would guess burnouts and drifts to be honest if I saw that but I have no clue what else could do this!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #42
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Quote:
Ok I have to apologize...I started to think I may have read something wrong with what everyone is saying so I just lowered my PSI to get the message again. It doesn't specifically state that the car is equipped with run flats, but if you don't know in the first place and get this message wouldn't you assume (dealer also told me they have run-flats)? Here are a couple pics:
yeah...the statement is generic. Using the words "For cars with runflats" does not necessarily mean the car has runflats. Enjoy the new Paws on that monster.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #43
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post

dealers are so useless!!! Dub-stick to Chapman bmw in chandlers. Talk to Tony Desalvo. THere are a few guys more familiar with the M's and are pretty good. You still have to cross check with the board.

What is with dealers guys! I just cannot fathom marketing a product or being involved with a brand and not knowing EVERYTHING about the product.

Hell I would guess 50 percent of us guys who just like bimmers as a hobby that has nothing to do with our job, knows more about every single model than majority of dealers. I pretty much know all details that a dealer should about the 7's, M's, 3's, and 5's. I admit I know nothing about the Z or the 1's but this is not my job!

As far as the OP-I believe him because the rest of the tread is completely gone everywhere and then there is a middle that is even worse. If it was burnout or overinflation than the outside of the tires would still have decent tread left and the middle would be signifigantly worse v. now there is no tread anywhere and the middle is even worse. Maybe just a random bad batch of tires? Who knows. I would guess burnouts and drifts to be honest if I saw that but I have no clue what else could do this!
Thanks! I will go there and ask for Tony from now on. It's closer to my house anyway. I should have known...this was the same SA that told me to drive at 4000 rpm all the time. So, if I get a flat now, I need to be towed somewhere to get a tire? There goes that nice feeling of security.

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #44
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Mid if I say ... if you let your tires go that far into the negative then you should seriously consider to sell your M3.

Driving around like that does not only put your own life in danger but also your fellow man and child around you and that my friend is just plain irresponsible in my book (it's like walking around with a loaded gun and your finger tip on the trigger think about it!).

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0